Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-18-04, 01:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/234/200
BF:don't care!!
Progress: 24%
Default Week 1 on Dr Clark's plan

Two pounds off! That's quite a miracle for me. I've been having 2 slices bacon, 2 fried eggs and 1 slice pure rye bread in the morning, then a salad with added protein at lunch (usually tuna and mayo or whatever meat I had left from dinner) then in the evening I've become addicted to grated courgettes, sauteed with onions and olive oil with cheese on so I use 1 large courgette (zucchini for our US pals), 1/2 a large onion, olive oil, garlic and then chedder cheese to finish. (I ran out of parmesan).

Snacks have been the occasional hardboiled egg and almonds. Oh I did break down when the cravings got too bad and have one or two sugar free rolos.

Quick question to the Clark people: are eggs limited on thi splan? The book didn't seem to say. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-18-04, 02:03

Stats: 206/149/140 Female 63ins
BF:
Progress: 86%

Well done Lisa, what a positive start, sorry I can't answer the Dr Clark question I've only just started his book as I thought I'd give the 'local' version of low carb a try, if it's working for you thats a good recommendation and your menu sounds nice.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-18-04, 04:44

Plan: New Atkins
Stats: 292/262/160 Female 5.7
BF:
Progress: 23%

Hi Lisa,

congrats to your success. I know that the Clark diet doesn´t restrict (only green?) vegetables and that the carb level is somewhere between 40-60g/day. Are these the only differences or is there more to it? I am wondering whether Clark´s book is worth a try or whether it´s 99% Atkins information plus "Eat more vegetables"

By the way, what made you switch to Clarke´s plan?

Thanks,
Katie
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-18-04, 04:55
Registered Member

Plan: Charles Clark
Stats: 295/211/196 Male 6' 2"
BF:
Progress: 85%

Eggs are pretty much unlimited on the Dr. Clark plan - he speaks VERY highly of them in The New High Protein Diet.

I've finally started slowing down after 24 weeks on the diet, but have already lost 65 lbs so am extremely well pleased with the progress made.

Despite him allowing things like a slice of brown bread a day I abstained altogether and have no bread cravings whatsoever anymore.

Well done on a good start Lisa and best of luck on your continued progress.

PS ~ My wife started the plan last week and is psyching herself up for her first weekly weigh-in tomorrow. Got my fingers crossed for her!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-18-04, 09:44

Thanks Solaris! That's good to know about the eggs - I found a stall in Romford market that sells duck eggs and oh my they taste great hard boiled!
I've munched olives this week and feta cheese oh and salami too, did someone say diet??

Katie, believe it or not, I was wondering if my carbs were too low for my body to actually work with, if you see what I mean. Also, Clark was recommended as he's British and the recipes are easier to understand plus the ingredients more easily accessible.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-18-04, 10:47

Plan: New Atkins
Stats: 292/262/160 Female 5.7
BF:
Progress: 23%

Lisa,

I 100% understand what you mean. I gave Atkins a chance because of fasting. I used Almased (a high-protein soy/honey enzyme/amino acid powder) and did Almased fasting. The idea is similar to Atkins, with lots of protein being provided to prevent your metabolism form slowing down. I went into ketosis, but still, after one week I wouldn´t lose any more weight. I wondered whether the low calories (400/day) were the reason, because I suspected my metabolism DID slow down. I was, however, so convinced of high protein diets that I looked for a high protein diet with a decent ammount of calories.

But to come back to the carbs, I went into ketosis on Almased with 80 net carbs a day, so I have decided to raise my carb level. I will grant myself (from today ) up to 50 net carbs, of which 10 can come form dairy products, 10 from processed foods like keto pasta or keto Flakes, and 30 from non-starchy vegetables (and that is a LOT of salad ).

I might buy the Clark book when I have actually moved to Britain. For me, converting Atkin´s US measures (unknown to me) to UK measures (not quite always grams, is it...) is not much fun, not to say terrifying.

Katie
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-18-04, 12:20

My only addition, really, has been that one slice of rye bread per day. I also think that eating a proper breakfast has made a big difference. I suppose my carbs are at about 50. No processed foods or anything like that for me - I'm trying to stay away from cereals and bars and all that until I get some decent weight off.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-19-04, 02:32
Registered Member

Plan: Charles Clark
Stats: 295/211/196 Male 6' 2"
BF:
Progress: 85%

Just an update on the missus... she had her first weekly weigh-in this morning after starting the Charles Clark diet seven days ago and has lost.... drum roll.... three pounds!!!

I'm really pleased for her but she almost seemed a bit disappointed. She's only trying to drop about 15-20 lbs as well!

Mind you, she's totally into the groove of things now and finding it easy to stick to the plan.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-20-04, 12:25

Plan: Atkins/My own
Stats: 205/199.2/154 Female 5ft 4in
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Hello

Sorry I am butting in again

Big congrats on your loss Lisa

I am doing a modified Clark plan in that i am just leaving out the bread, but know that i can have it if I want it. I have been doing this for 4 weeks now and lost 6lb in the first 10 days, but nothing since. i am just hoping that it will kick in again soon. I have been sticking between 20-30g carbs per dayI did notice on the few days that i did have bread in about the 2nd week, that my stomach went into gurgle mode, and I had to keep finding the nearest loo (sorry a bit too much info there)

But the ups are that I used to get daily headaches and they have now gone, plus I get a bit of IBS, and that has also improved , well gone really, and heatburn /indegestion also gone. I tend to take a couple of rennies on the nights I allow myself a southern comfort, as its a bit firey, and i have suffered in the past as much as i love the stuff

Anyway thought I would say hi and good luck

Lynn
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-20-04, 16:36

Plan: Low Calorie/Low Carb
Stats: 208/175/133 Female 62
BF:32%
Progress: 44%

I'm still doing Atkins but have discovered that the low carb cook book I bought last year was written by Dr. Clark. Haven't tried any of the recipes, it was a bit too full of bread for me but am taking an interest in how people are doing following his plan. Has anyone tried any of his recipes yet? Any recommendations? I've got to the point after nearly a year on Atkins when I'm starting to crave some variation in my diet so I'm looking out for some good alternatives.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-22-04, 02:10

Plan: Low Calorie/Low Carb
Stats: 208/175/133 Female 62
BF:32%
Progress: 44%

Hi again,

Have decided to give Dr. Clark a try - have found the basics of his plan in the recipe book and I'm already down a pound on yesterday. I treated myself to 4 cherries with my breakfast yesterday and have done the same today.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Aug-01-04, 12:35

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Hi Lisa

Pleased to hear that Charles Clark is working for you Might have a look myself as I seem to have been yo-yoing around the same few pounds for months on Atkins. I have the book, so will read it through again.

BTW, if you still want that coffee and trip around Sainsbury's, send me a pm
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 15:57

I'm stalled again but hey, that's the nature of PCOS. Oh well, I'm still enjoying myself!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Aug-11-04, 01:14

Plan: prev atkins, now NHE
Stats: 174/140/133 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kama79
Lisa,

I might buy the Clark book when I have actually moved to Britain. For me, converting Atkin´s US measures (unknown to me) to UK measures (not quite always grams, is it...) is not much fun, not to say terrifying.

Katie

In John Lewis you can buy very cheaply a set of teh US cup measurements. I keep a set in the kitchen. I use those for US recipes and don't even try to convert. The only weird thing is having to squash butter into a circular cup to measure it. The only way to measure splenda anyway is by volume as it is so light, a small difference in weight is critical.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Feb-24-05, 14:37

Plan: Dr Charles Clark
Stats: 112/112/110 Female 5ft 2
BF:
Progress:
Default A few things I picked up...

I have just finished reading this book and just wanted to point out a few things. In the book, he says that you can have a maximum on 1 egg per day, because of the risks of high chloresterol, although egg whites would be fine I suppose, so eggs are definitely not unlimited.

Also, I don't think you can have as much veg as you want. I think certain vegetables are restricted, or at least they are at the beginning, like peas.

And to the person saying that they lost 10lbs and now nothing, in the book, it says that once you stop losing weight, that is your body's way of saying you are at your optimum weight and that is the point where you can start to up your carb intake to about 60-70g per day. He does say in the book that this diet won't make you waif-like.

That is my understanding anyway. Hope it helps.