Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-20-02, 14:32

Plan: Atkins KISS
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Embarassed to ask but I'll be brave.

Since low carbing my body ph is not balance. I'm too acidic. Anyone else? I had my gallbladder out and fats just RUSH right through me (but that's a different problem).

I can tell. Changes in my "b. movements" that cause me pain in "that area" /not itching/not hemorrhoids/for one (sorry for that) and I can tell in other ways.

I try to eat low carb veggies/they are all alkaline, but the much higher levels of proteins and high acidic foods win out and I suffer.

Anyone else? One of these symptoms of too acidity in the system is diaper rash/burning anus, too frequent or high temp b. movements, muscle cramps and calclium loss (that you wouldn't detect). Here's a link. My solution so far for the diaper rash is to clean gently then desitin...anyone else???

I'm embarassed yes to post this, but I feel my problem will be related to in some way by someone here.

This link supports my concerns!!! http://www.eezee.com/readings/internal%20ph.htm

This link said it's all nonsense! ??? http://www.drmirkin.com/nutrition/9328.html

HELP what REAL? Anyone else panic without their desitin these days? I find it's the ONLY downfall to this change in my eating.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-20-02, 15:25

Plan: low carb
Stats: 250/250/180 Female 5 feet 11
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi~

I was just going to start a new thread asking if anyone on Atkins has had their gallbladder out...I had mine removed 3 months ago. Although I'm not having problems like you are- I am starting to worry that this WOE is not for someone w/out a gallbladder. I happened to mention the Atkins WOE to my surgeon and he nearly went through the roof! He claims that w/out your gb you have to really limit your fat intake. I told him that my all around general health was BETTER since I began Atkins- of course he does not agree with it.
I'm curious to know if weight lose slows down since a body w/out a gallbladder can't break down what it needs to- or is it ok to keep doing as I am?

About the rash: I don't know of any reason why Desitin would increase the problem. I imagine it's instant releif! You poor thing...I hope you feel better soon.

oceangirl/Chris
P.S. Don't be embarrassed to ask questions....you might be helping others as well!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-20-02, 16:28

BF:
Progress:
Default Clearing it all up.

Okay, Desitin is from HEAVEN and makes this way of eating possible for me. Without it no way.

I have lost 20 pounds of fat after having my gallbladder out and doing low carbing. I started low carbing before the gallbladder came out. My doctor told me that I had followed a NONfat highcarb diet for so long that my gallbladder was not called on to produce bile to digest fats for years...and it developed adhesions inside and quit working altogether! Out it came. Now since I do not have a galbladder- I do not digest fats well. This means I do not digest fats efficiently (meaning I don't absorb as many fat calories as the rest of you) and most of the fat I eat just rushes right through me. Hence weightloss! And as I continue lowcarbing it, I continue to lose even more weight. Now...since all that fat rushes right through me, I get diahrea and a (excuse me) sore anus. I also have very HOT movements (sorry) that actually "burn" upon leaving me (sorry). Desitin & I don't even feel that. Now I know that no one in their right mind will respond to this post/it's just too too personal and embarassing, but hey, I can hope. ?

Maybe another person like me will at least relate?
If not, everyone else please just go away quickly and don't comment!!!

I won't bring up the details again. Wish there was a place to talk about private digestive/lc troubles or whatever here.

Sorry if this offends anyone, I mean no harm.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-20-02, 18:42
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%
Cool

Hi Nsmith,
First of all, the only possible way to tell if your pH is too acidic, is to have a blood test. Low pH, or "acidity," can be caused by either respiratory problems or metabolic probs. Believe me, you'd be very unwell with symptoms very different from what you describe.
I'm an RN working in ICU for many years. I've nursed many critically ill patients whose pH is too low and I've never heard of a connection with a sore bot.
Okay that doesn't solve your problem.
I would strongly suggest you have your doctor look at said bot. Yes, embarrassing++, I know, but there may well be something he/she can do.
Are you sure you don't have a haemorrhoid? They are not necessarily "felt," the sneaky things can be hiding inside and can cause horrible itching. (I am speaking from personal experience, here!)
As for your rash, again your doc may be able to help. (I don't know what Desitin is) You might well have candida which can cause rashes "down below."
Good luck with your problem, my dear.

Rosebud
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-20-02, 20:06

BF:
Progress:
Default Thanks!

Thanks, I really appreciate that. I will make an apppointment with a proctologist. I suppose I shouldn't guess with these kinds of things. Oh, Desitin is diaper rash cream, 40% zinc oxide in a benign base or codliver oil. Very healing.

Sorry again if I offended anyone.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-20-02, 20:48

Stats: 287.4/255/155 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default No worries

Hi ya,

No need to keep apologizing in advance for possibly offending someone - lots of people have asked bowel/digestive health questions, and if this thread should offend someone, they can stop reading! The forums are for people like you to get help - and you phrased everything as 'delicately' as you could. At no time did I sense that you were trying to be rude or shock people - just an honest seeking for help.

I hope you will be feeling better soon
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-20-02, 20:58
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

hi nsmith,

I was wondering how you're doing, sorry it's not pleasant

The gallbag is basically just a storage receptacle for bile, which is produced in the liver. As you know, the function of bile is to break down fat in the digestive tract into long-chain fatty acids, which are then absorbed from the small intestine into the bloodstream, transported to the liver where they are further processed into ketones, shorter chain fatty acids, etc, etc, etc ...

When the gallbladder is removed, the common bile duct is surgically connected to drain directly from the liver into the small intestine. So, instead of there being a "squirt" response to the presence of fat in the gut, bile is trickled into the intestine constantly. Bile is very, very irritating. Many laxatives, including the "natural" herbals, work by stimulating bile production ... the excess bile in the fecal material irritates the colon causing it to spasm and a B.M. results.

People who have chronic diarrhea conditions, Crohn's disease, colitis ... or good ol' influenza virus, where the stool is rapidly transported through the intestine .. will experience the raw burning anal tissue as you are. It's not due to "acid" from eating protein. The problem is due to the bile from your liver being constantly trickled into the intestine AND NOT HAVING ENOUGH FAT PRESENT TO ABSORB IT.

Conversely, if you eat a large fatty meal, there may not be enough bile trickling in to deal with what has been consumed. Hence a "fatty", possibly greasy stool.

You will find eventual relief if you eat smaller, more frequent meals that always contain moderate fat .. olives, raw unprocessed nuts, avocado .. meats, cheese, eggs with the yolks, tuna w. mayo etc, etc. Fiber, especially from vegetables, fruits, legumes and nuts (not bran or grains ) will also be helpful.

Desitin is wonderful ... Zinc is very soothing and healing for the skin, plus it also contains cod liver oil, which is rich in vitamins A & D, which are also healing a beneficial for the skin. Penaten is similar, and more pleasantly scented

Hope you feel better soon

Doreen
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-20-02, 21:34

BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up Thank you!!!

Oh big HUGS to you! You are so right about everything. That's exactly what happens.

When I find I am not eating enough/frequently enough my intestines do spasm...too much bile, not enough food.

When I find I go too low fat same thing...

When I eat more fat and more frequently the whole thing stops and my "private discomfort" goes away!

NOW it makes sense. Bile absorbs fat huh? Too much bile, spasms, too much fat diahrea...a delicate balance.

Everyday now I eat this:

Eggs/butter
Tuna or Chicken w mayo
3pm - protein with mayo
Beef/Fish or Turkey with salad/lowcarb veg/ranch or mayo.

I find saving my 10-20 carbs for dinner works the best for ME.
For ME it's the fats that have to come into my system slowly and steadily at moderate levels for comfort...

thanks thanks. You are so smart. I'm back on THESE boards for GOOD now.

I will go to the doc tomorrow anyway to see if I have additional prob's. Just to be safe.

Key is - about every 3 hours eat protein/fat...then lc vegs at dinner for me.

It only took me since 1998, but I finally have a plan I've been doing 3 months that works. I just didn't understand why. And now I know I can't deviate at all from my plan or I get "terrible tushy!".

Thanks everyone for your responses. If I could share THIS here, I know any topic is safe to discuss. I'm so worried sometimes about grosing people out, but hey, we all have bodies and we all have this stuff - or things similar...people are human beings after all.

N
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-22-02, 13:39

Plan: Keto
Stats: 410/319/260 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 61%
Default Chlorophyll Anyone???

When our bodies are too acidic, we need more green things, hence veggies. While lc'ing we have to control veggies (carbs), so it would be easy to become acidic. Diet and bad digestion can contribute to being acidic also.

I think it would be worthwhile for you to check into chlorophyll. It's a powerful green drink and you can get it without sugar. I like it being mint flavored and mix with it with water. It tastes like a fresh mint drink. I have no idea what the carb count would be or if there are even any carbs in chlorophyll, but I believe it would be worth checking into.

Chlorophyll is very alkalizing (balancing), high in magensium, cleans and builds the blood, and helps with body odors (maybe even ketosis breath ... I hadn't thought of that before). These are just a few jobs chlorophyll is know for historically.

Also, believe it or not, lemon is alkaline in the body and acidic outside the body. You could try adding a squeeze of fresh lemon juice to you water. If you can find a trusted company for lemon aromatherapy oil (processed properly and w\o additives ... not lemon oil as in furniture polish), you can add drops of lemon oil to your water.

Also keep in mind when you first start pushing the acid out of your body, your HOT bowel movements may become worse for a period, but should be come better within a week or so (this varies). During this rough period you could try taking activated charocol (to asorb toxins) and aloe (liquid or pills) and\or slippery elm to soothe the irritated bowel. Also aloe gel works wonders on a sore behind.

I hope you feel better soon.

Last edited by Stardust : Fri, Mar-22-02 at 13:56.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-22-02, 14:14

BF:
Progress:
Default No no it's not acidity! DOREEN WAS RIGHT!

BIG WARM FUZZIES TO DOREEN!!!!! I upped my fat a bit and the problem WENT AWAY!!!! I just explained it all on this forum on another board, I will re-print here. Thank you I understand now!!!

YES you can Atkins with no gallbladder. HOW? Read on to discover WHY life is different without it on Atkins and what you can do to be a successful ATKINSER wout a gallbladder!!!

How it works

1. Your gallbladder makes bile.

2. Bile digests fats.

3. Before you had your gallbladder out your gallbladder, when stimulated by eating fat would squirt out exact needed amount of bile to digest the fat and fats were digested easily.

4. You had your gallbladder out.

SO WHAT? WELL...

5. Now bile doesn't come out of it when you eat fat. Instead bile drips continuously and slowly from your pancreas all day.
Instead of only getting the right amount of bile when you eat, like before, you have a steady running thin stream of this in your system all the time.

6. Fat absorbs bile.

7. Bile is an irritant to your system if you don't eat enough fat to absorb it.

OKAY - BUT HOW DOES THIS AFFECT ME? :

8. BUT if you eat too much fat in a meal you don't have enough bile in your system NOW to absorb it and the extra fat reaches your intestines and rushes right through you. Diahrea!

9. So now you now what there is to know about how the gallbladder works, where and how you are getting bile from now, where the bile is in your system (smaller amount of bile there all the time) the role of bile and how eating not enough fat or too much fat will result with you.

FINE. HOW SHOULD I COPE?

10. Well, I've found that a MODERATE fat Atkins diet/meaning SOME NOT LOTS OF fat with protein at smaller more frequent meals works for me and many other people who do Atkins with no gallbladder.

Get it? Yes, Atkins with no gallbladder = diahrea. Just cut your fat down to less than EXCESSive fat and the diahrea will stop. Or don't and just enjoy the diahrea (no fun!!!).

Hope this was helpful.
------------------
SUMMARY

Too little fat = too much bile in your system it constantly trickles from your pancreas now/not good for you - causes IBS or IBD or spastic colon/bile is an irritant, you might get ani puritis (look it up) or just a sore rear exit area (you know what I mean)...if this happens, up your fat and use desitin "there".

WAY Too MUCH fat = diarhea / you ate more fat than your bile can absorb and whoosh, the fat rushes food right through you (along with other nutrients!). If this happens eat less fat, even a little less will help - don't cut out fat you need SOME to absorb the bile you DO have in your system!!! And hey, use the Desitin "back there" until it's over - save your skin!
-------------------
The key is to find a balance. I've found it with Atkins, but moderate fats. This does not mean that you have to give up bacon or butter or mayo - it does mean eat NORMAL not excessive amounts. Induction is hard for us, but hey I managed to stay to induction levels without a gallbladder while upping protein and a little less fat.

Peace. I hope I've helped.

#11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-22-02, 14:22

Plan: Keto
Stats: 410/319/260 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 61%
Thumbs up Yippee.

I am glad you are feeling better!!!!!!!!!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Mar-22-02, 15:06
Forum Founder

BF:
Red face Oooops!

Quote:
1. Your gallbladder makes bile.
Quote:
......Too little fat = too much bile in your system it constantly trickles from your pancreas
Bile is produced in the liver not the pancreas or the gallbladder.
Quote:
(bile)... - causes IBS or IBD or spastic colon/bile is an irritant, you might get ani puritis (look it up) or just a sore rear exit area
Yes, bile is an irritant but it does not cause spastic colon or irritable bowel (IBS) or inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), and my apologies if I caused any misunderstanding. A healthy, normal colon has a thick protective lining, and it's not until the lower rectum that this thins out and is more easily irritated. In persons with colitis or IBD there is some disease process - often bacteria or yeast-related - that destroys or interferes with the protective lining. In spastic colon, there's a neuromuscular problem causing the spasms, and IBS is thought to have a stress or hormonal component. However, these conditions do often result in diarrhea ... The loose watery stool will contain bile constituents which in a normally functioning bowel would have been reabsorbed in the colon (large intestine). Because these bile constituents are still present in the material being eliminated, they are very irritating to the tissue of the lower bowel and skin of the area.

The liver normally produces about a liter of bile every single day, whether a person has a gall bladder or not. One of the other functions of the gall bladder, besides serving as a "collection receptacle" is that it can concentrate the bile, ie ... it allows some of the water-volume to be re-absorbed. Bile that is squirted into the small intestine from a gallbladder is "thicker" than bile that is trickling in directly from the liver. In general, this isn't a problem, since a healthy functioning large intestine (colon) will be able to re-absorb any excess water-volume as well.

It's the ratio of bile to fat that causes the problems for someone after the gallbladder is removed, and you described it perfectly. Too much fat consumed at one sitting can't be properly digested due to not enough bile at the time, hence diarrhea. Too little fat, or long periods without food will mean there's an excess of bile constituents in the resulting waste material .. and these might irritate the lower rectal area and outer skin. Balance is key.

Hope this explains a little clearer than my other post.

Doreen
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Mar-22-02, 15:19

BF:
Progress:
Default Yes it does, you are still right!

I will live by these words.

Too much fat consumed at one sitting can't be properly digested due to not enough bile at the time, hence diarrhea. Too little fat, or long periods without food will mean there's an excess of bile constituents in the resulting waste material .. and these might irritate the lower rectal area and outer skin. Balance is key.

Now I understand and believe I was misdiagnosed with spastic colon/ibs...since eating a little more moderate amounts of fats my problem dissappeared. I realized that I got "tush trouble" after eating large amounts of proteins with very little or no fat!...never again - you see I've been doing a no-low fat Atkins and without a gallbladder - oh boy ! You can imagine the trouble I've had "back there"!

Thanks again. No more binging on protein/no more too much or too little fat!!!

More frequent and smaller meals help to I've found!
N
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Sep-18-02, 20:24

Stats: 204/181/145
BF:
Progress: 39%

Having diahreah after gallbladder surgery happens to 20% of people. Doctor's do not know why but they do know it's because the bile does not bind correclty. You need to go to your gastro and get Colestid it binds the bile. I went to the doctor and he told me of this and I have been on it for 2 days now and am feeling like a brand new person. No you don't have to eat like your Calista Flockheart or not do Atkins just get the medicine you need! Not all gastros know about this since it's relatively new.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Sep-18-02, 21:50
Forum Founder

BF:
Lightbulb

We had a detailed discussion about this very thing a few months after these posts. Only difference is the drug used was Questran, similar to Colestid. Check out EXPERIENCE WITH QUESTRAN/Darvocet? ... bile problems after gallbladder removed.

Thanks for the reminder .. perhaps another reader will be helped by the information

Doreen