Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-23-09, 10:43

Plan: my own
Stats: 215/170.5/145 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default Will new cig tax make you quit?

Even though the $1 tax increase of a pak of cigarettes is due to start on April 1, the price has already increased as of a couple of weeks ago. In my neighborhood Exxon station, a pak was over $7. What effect will these ever-increasing prices have on your decision to either stop or continue smoking?

I'm going to quit. Times being what they are and knowing I could lose my job any day now, coupled with a long-time desire to quit, I think the anti just got upped to the point where the tradeoff is no longer acceptable for me.

What do you guys think: yea or nay?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-23-09, 11:17

Plan: atkins modified
Stats: 225/162/160 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 97%

My girlfriend and I have plans to quit at end of summer. We had it planned even before the tax increase, but now it's a defininte. We were just talking about this yesterday, she lost alot of weight years ago, and we're not sure that either of us could have been so successful with losing weight if we didn't have our nicotine fixes.
who knows.
But yes, I'm quitting.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-24-09, 13:35
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 297/281/180 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress:

I planned to quit after I had been on Atkins for a while. I knew I was going to eat so I figured I would do it while LOSING weight and so far it's worked perfectly; 32 lbs and smoke free for 13 days. BTW, I cheated. I used Chantix.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-24-09, 13:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/161/155 Female 5'6
BF:don't u ask
Progress: 93%

I'm still trying to quit. it as nothing to do with the new tax. I look at it as I'd find a way to afford it no matter what it cost. We can still get double packs of some for under $5.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-25-09, 21:44

Plan: tasty animals with butter
Stats: 170/115/110 Female 60"
BF:maintaining
Progress: 92%

I quit three+ weeks ago. I quit because I am cheap and refuse to pay the taxes that are "supposedly" going to health programs but are instead going into politicians pockets. Sorry, I'm done. 40 years of smoking, up in smoke.

I'm hungry as a banshee, though. I am eating every piece of meat in sight!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-28-09, 06:51

Plan: atkins
Stats: 196/196/140 Female 5' 4"
BF:Let's not go there
Progress: 0%

Here in Canada our very high cigarette prices has had an impact on the number of smokers, although not as much as you might have thought. As mainecyn said, you find a way to afford them no matter what the cost. That's been what's happened here. We have slightly fewer smokers, but a bigger problem with smuggled cigs. Based on my experience and what I've heard from people around me, banning smoking indoors and around public entrances in combination with our Canadian winters has had a greater impact on reducing smoking. This is totally anecdotal and based only on my experience and opinion. But I'm also a person who said I'd never pay more than $5 for a pack of cigs....now I can't even remember how long ago that was and I've been paying $8 or more for years.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-04-09, 16:16

Plan: atkins
Stats: 239/230/145 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Progress:

It's going to be real hard for me but I am planning on quiting. I sure hope that I will be successful.