Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-09, 00:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 231/225/145 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default Quitting smoking

I am on induction and desperately want to quit smoking soon. I did not want to start too much at once so I am deciding on a quit date past induction. My problem now is that Atkins seems to lead me to smoking at least 25% more than usual. Someone told me there is sugar in cigarettes so I am not sure if this is my body tricking me into consuming sugar. I just need some encouragement from ex smokers/low carbers and some ideas to get started. I have quit before and know if I can just jump this initial hurdle I will be off and running. Anyone have some magic words or advice to help? I sure appreciate all of your help in improving my health and overall well being.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-09, 13:59

Plan: Keto
Stats: 232.8/190/165 Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 63%

If you really want to quit smoking then you will. You never quit smoking because you missed it enough to return. I quit smoking over 25 years ago and don't even think about it. Smoking, unlike eating, is an optional exercise. The key to losing weight is to eat right. There is no way to smoke right. As long as you believe you are giving up something by quitting smoking you will fail. When you come to the realization that you are getting rid of something that you don't want, you will succeed. The way to get started is just to throw your smokes in a desk and go cold turkey - you won't die. I quit cold turkey and I was smoking 3 packs a day. Read the quote at the bottom of my postings.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-09, 16:33
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinLC
I am on induction and desperately want to quit smoking soon. I did not want to start too much at once so I am deciding on a quit date past induction. My problem now is that Atkins seems to lead me to smoking at least 25% more than usual. Someone told me there is sugar in cigarettes so I am not sure if this is my body tricking me into consuming sugar. I just need some encouragement from ex smokers/low carbers and some ideas to get started. I have quit before and know if I can just jump this initial hurdle I will be off and running. Anyone have some magic words or advice to help? I sure appreciate all of your help in improving my health and overall well being.
You can do it! IMO, you should wait until you're ready to quit smoking. I felt the same way you do about taking on too much at one time. If you do that, you're setting yourself up for failure. I asked my doctors for advice, and they all told me to lose weight first. So, that's what I concentrated on.

I reached a point where I stopped losing weight for a long period of time, so I decided that might be a good time to quit smoking. I tried Chantix, but it made me too sick. Then, my friend dragged me off to see the hypnotist that comes through town every 6 months or so. I was sure I was throwing my $50 away, but doggoned if it didn't work! No one is more amazed than I!

You'll do fine. Just concentrate on one thing at a time. As you lose weight, you'll begin to feel so much better that you'll want to do even more good things for your health. That's when you should quit smoking.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-09, 19:50
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

Oh good grief -- no sugar in cigarettes.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-09, 20:54
Registered Member

Plan: Little Atkinish
Stats: 180/164/100 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 20%

One thing I learned quitting is none of the main stream works for me and if you really pay attention nothing works the same way for two different people. The way these people decribe quitting would have ruined me.

Use diet or induction as an excuse to delay quitting then there ya go, another excuse. Use aids, those made it worse for me, like teasing me. Set quit dates? Ptthhh. I would quit when my pack ran out, my carton, the first of the month, next weekend or monday... I went on for years quitting and would for a few days to a week then I would have "just one".

THEN one day with a half a pack and no real desire to quit (not like other times) I said no. I bought a few pounds pistachios and sat on my backside channel surfing eating them.

For me my quit magic? You know when you are a few days in and you reason with yourself and say "just one"? Or just a couple drags? See what you need to realize there is no "just one". Say I give up or I choose to smoke, period! You choose to smoke or not, never is there a just one. That is the secret.

Anytime you want to pick up "just one" do not lie. Be honest, I quit quitting smoking and I want to smoke. I choose disease.

But DO NOT use induction as an excuse to delay. You are not pulling the wool over us ex smokers eyes, we always had a good reason to put it off too. At least in induction you need not worry about calories, learn mousse recipes, eat pig skins, deviled eggs, low carb tortilla BLTS, and quesadillas, or nuts.

I have exactly 1 month to be smoke free 1 year and I did 2 - 3 packs a day for dang near 20. The best of luck to you and if you want to quit I will be there 100% I will not support excuses!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-09, 03:22
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessLiz
Actually, sugar is a common additive in cigarettes. There are quite a few scholarly studies online about it.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-09, 07:33
Got MEAT!?!?!?!

Plan: whatever works =)
Stats: 316.8/191.1/180 Female 5.7
BF:too much
Progress: 92%

I quit smoking back in July...I think being on Atkins actually helped me quit. (I also used Chantix-no side affects for me) I think that I thought more about my food for the day than I did not having a cigarette most of the time. But realize you wont quit until you are ready and I mean really really ready this time and do it for yourself. I thinks thats what finally did it for me! Good luck!!!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-09, 08:42

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessLiz

I have learned since posting that the sugar and salt content of cigarettes has been exhaustively studied to keep addiction rates as high as possible.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-09, 08:44

BF:

I bought Nicorette yesterday and have not smoked since 4 PM. Feeling a bit cranky, and anxious but already feel better about life. Thanks everyone for your kind words of encouragement. Sometimes I need a pat on the back and a kick in the rear to get going. =)
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-09, 14:08

Plan: Dukan Diet
Stats: 209/198.5/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

Quote:
I bought Nicorette yesterday and have not smoked since 4 PM. Feeling a bit cranky, and anxious but already feel better about life. Thanks everyone for your kind words of encouragement. Sometimes I need a pat on the back and a kick in the rear to get going. =)

Congrats LovinLC! I decided to quit today too, although I'm using the patch. I'm feeling okay so far....
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-09, 17:44

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Congrats to both of the new quitters! You can do this...just take it one minute, one craving at a time.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-09, 22:08

Plan: Dukan Diet
Stats: 209/198.5/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

Well I'm 3 days smoke-free
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-09, 12:14

BF:

Quote:

4 1/2 days and going strong....I am so glad you ex smokers were tough on me. You pissed me off and I needed it. I did cheat on carbs though....I felt almost incapable of stopping myself. Today is a new day and I am sticking to induction rules!!!!!
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-09, 13:37

Plan: no/low carb
Stats: 197.5/189/164 Male 6'1"
BF:19/18/12
Progress: 25%

So how's it going? I need to quit too, down to 1.5pks/week from 2.5pks/day, but am having trouble with this last little step!!

Matt
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-09, 11:57

BF:
Default Update

HI Matt. I am 15 days smoke free. I found a cool service called QuitNet that gives me updates every morning. It is free...I am a cranky and at times quite emotional. Read some of the responses I got above if you have not already. They ticked me off but in a good way and motivated me to stop waiting and just stop smoking already!!! The benefits show up daily but some days I am too crabby to appreciate them...=) Good luck if you need to chat let me know!