Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-23, 15:43

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%
Default Carb Propaganda

Lots of good misleading information here!
https://www.cnet.com/health/nutriti...carbs-not-less/

Let's start with the title.
Quote:
Why You Should Be Eating More Carbs, Not Less
Carbs are an essential part of any diet.
There are no essential carbs. Zero, none, nada.

Quote:
Carbs give you energy
When you eat carbohydrates, the body breaks them down into glucose, which is then used by the cells as its primary energy source. This gives you the burst of energy you need to do everyday functions like exercising, for example. Without carbohydrates, you'd feel exhausted and lack the energy necessary to get through a Crossfit class or a long run. Once the body uses the adequate glucose it needs from the carbohydrates, the rest is broken down as glycogen and stored within the liver and muscles.
Fat is a better energy source and it keeps your body going much longer. I've been limiting carbs for over 20 years and can still do 100-mile bike rides without eating anything and not being hungry when I finish.
The muscles can store only 500g of glucose and the liver 100g. The muscle glucose cannot be moved from one muscle to another, so if your legs use theirs, you're out of luck as the rest of the body's glucose is worthless. The body's fat stores have no such limitation.
Quote:
Carbohydrates provide essential vitamins and minerals like magnesium, potassium, vitamin C, B vitamins and more. These also function as antioxidants, which are necessary to protect you against heart disease, cancer and other diseases. The best way to get many of these essential vitamins and nutrients is by eating a balanced diet with carbs to help support your system.
Fatty foods also provide vitamins and minerals, including vitamin B12 which is not provided by carbs. Vegetables do have many more antioxidants than meats, eggs, and dairy but carb (glucose) foods generate more oxidants*.
Quote:
Carbs help with brain function
Carbs keep your brain functioning efficiently. The brain uses 20% of the total body energy burned daily. You've probably noticed on days when you've barely eaten carbs that you experience brain fog, moodiness and exhaustion. That's because the brain relies on carbohydrates as its primary source of fuel.
The brain works quite well on ketones and the body makes all the glucose the body needs from amino acids. With fat-generated ketones, you don't get the brain fog, etc.

*https://www.hindawi.com/journals/jnme/2012/238056/
Quote:
We conclude that a high-carbohydrate meal may evoke a greater postprandial oxidative stress response, whereas both fat and carbohydrate increased IL6. We speculate that the observed increases in postprandial IL6, without increases in any other markers of inflammation, may indicate a normal IL6 response to enhance glucose uptake, similar to its role postexercise.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-23, 17:15
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

The clickbaitiest of clickbait. My browser showed a whopping 50 ads and trackers blocked, plus I had to delete 42 cookies.

Gawd, I hate these garbage, nonsense non-information factories.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-30-23, 05:20

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

CNET is unclickable, and often acts as a feed for stock market promotion.

But yes, I've seen increasing emphasis on Essential Carbs and warnings not to do keto for longer than a month.

Ah, the Atkins days, she said nostalgically. It was similar hysteria, with even more scam science.

I remember Dr Atkins put his diet together as he did monitored \ trials with himself and his patients. The science itself took some inferences, as it does today, but not food questionnaires. It was a metabolic action kind of thing. (I checked and I was right.)

Quote:
Starting in 1963, Dr. Atkins immersed himself in medical research on nutrition and found studies that showed carbohydrate restriction, as opposed to calorie restriction, provided weight loss results, without significant hunger. After, Dr. Atkins experimented with a low-carb diet himself and then with 65 executives. Together, Dr. Atkins and the group of executives all achieved substantial weight loss. (Atkins site timeline)

THE SCIENCE WAS THERE ALL ALONG.

If we didn't have ways, like this one, to spread the word and help each other, Atkins would have remained a secret, with old paperbacks passed around in dark alleys...
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-23, 04:57

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
Lots of good misleading information here!

Vegetables do have many more antioxidants than meats, eggs, and dairy but carb (glucose) foods generate more oxidants*.

We've heard SO much about antioxidants. It was why I gleefully added cocoa powder to my smoothies. Doesn't all the propaganda make a big deal about that? I thought it was real.

Quote:
Epidemiological prospective studies show that higher intakes of antioxidant-rich fruits, vegetables, and legumes are associated with a lower risk of chronic oxidative stress-related diseases like cardiovascular diseases, cancer, and deaths from all causes.

But it's not.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-23, 09:42

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Clicker beware, CNET has a notorious reputation. Here's the latest:

Quote:
"In November 2022, CNET began publishing articles written with artificial intelligence and edited by humans.[56] CNET received criticism for failing to disclose that it was using a machine to write articles.[57] CNET conducted a review of these articles in January 2023 after many were found to contain serious errors and plagiarized material.[58][59] In February 2023, The Verge alleged that "editorial firewalls have been repeatedly breached", with CNET reporters were being pushed by Red Ventures to give more favourable coverage to advertisers and pressured to work on sponsored content.[60]"

Full disclosure, the above was in the CNET Wikipedia article, another source of much socially "convenient" information. But after a long career in technology security, I don't mess with anything CNET informs or offers. Sad, but there are many sources that are propped up by unethical businesses to spout a positivity campaign. In this case, it's the plant-based, vegan, Bill Gates, WHO agenda.

ETA: If you do access anything by CNET, make sure your anti-virus and security software is strong and up-to-date.