Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-10, 02:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 193.6/189.6/175 Male 5 11"
BF:
Progress:
Default Getting 'ripped'.

Hi all.

My aim is to get 'ripped' (ish), so a bodyfat below, say, 10%. I got my body fat tested by calipers and the gym machine, both stating that my body fat is at 16%.

My question is, can a low carb diet get me ripped if I continue with it? I'm doing plenty of CV and weight training.

Note, I am already quite muscular, and I know gaining muscle whilst on low carb is difficult. But as I already have substantial muscle, I am only interested in lowering my bodyfat %, if I lose some muscle along the way.. that's fine. (hope that didn't sound arrogant)

The reason I ask is, I can't find any male low carbers that have got the ripped look. So I'm wondering whether a low carb/ high fat diet is for me?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-10, 09:07

Plan: VLC
Stats: 168/145/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 70%

A lot of people don't like him here, but you might want to look up Anthony Colpo.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-18-10, 15:14

Plan: UDS
Stats: 199/190/190 Male 69
BF:12%/11%/6%
Progress: 100%

I don't think you see many ripped guys period! I carried about 6-9% until my lower 30's. I didn't follow a particularly low card diet, but I did keep it around 30%. The key was to stay active and keep my calorie intake in control. A high fat diet is hard to do this with because of the calorie density of fat.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-18-10, 15:27
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoachedEgg
My aim is to get 'ripped' (ish), so a bodyfat below, say, 10%.
My question is, can a low carb diet get me ripped if I continue with it?

The reason I ask is, I can't find any male low carbers that have got the ripped look. So I'm wondering whether a low carb/ high fat diet is for me?(snippets)

this dude is a pure Carnivore, meaning, high fat, high-moderate protein, no carbs. check out the link. the video is of him killing his food. check out his body.. is he ripped?
i think he's 42 or 44 yrs old.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-18-10, 16:20

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
The reason I ask is, I can't find any male low carbers that have got the ripped look. So I'm wondering whether a low carb/ high fat diet is for me?

Thanks in advance.
Here ya go, a male low carber with the ripped look. At over 50.

Washboard Abs on a High-Fat Diet, No Ab Workouts and No Cardio?

Mirror, Mirror On the Wall

"How do you stay so ripped, dude?

I follow a routine that includes a workout 5 to 6 days a week for about 30 minutes. Some of my workouts are as short as 10 minutes. I alternate between resistance training with free weights and bodyweight, throw in a good deal of low level aerobic activity and sprint maybe once a week. The big joke around here is that at this point in my life, I just want to “look” fit. I’m also an avid snowboarder. For the latest update on what I’m doing check out this post: Bodyweight Exercises and Injury Prevention"

Last edited by Seejay : Tue, May-18-10 at 16:28.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-18-10, 17:06

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

http://www.musclehack.com/best-body...-plan-revealed/

His plan does have a carb-up. You might find some interesting information here. I really like Mark.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-19-10, 12:00

Plan: Carnivorous / WAPF
Stats: 168/152/145 Male 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
and I know gaining muscle whilst on low carb is difficult.

I can't even think of a mechanism why this could be true. It's certainly not true in my experience.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-19-10, 14:30

Plan: UDS
Stats: 199/190/190 Male 69
BF:12%/11%/6%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seejay
Here ya go, a male low carber with the ripped look. At over 50.

Washboard Abs on a High-Fat Diet, No Ab Workouts and No Cardio?

Mirror, Mirror On the Wall

"How do you stay so ripped, dude?

I follow a routine that includes a workout 5 to 6 days a week for about 30 minutes. Some of my workouts are as short as 10 minutes. I alternate between resistance training with free weights and bodyweight, throw in a good deal of low level aerobic activity and sprint maybe once a week. The big joke around here is that at this point in my life, I just want to “look” fit. I’m also an avid snowboarder. For the latest update on what I’m doing check out this post: Bodyweight Exercises and Injury Prevention"

I like this guy. He seems to have a good all around approach.

I think there's some mis-understood verbage here though. NO CARDIO... "throw in a good deal of low level aerobic activity and sprint maybe once a week." ... sounds like the equivelant to me.

over 100 grams of carbs a day. that's hardly low, but it's lower than average for sure. still very effective though when all else is in check.

I for one, don't think it's hard to gain muscle on low-carb. I find it easier actually, especially when the calories are not restricted by to much.