Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-02-15, 19:41

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 175/175/000 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Any Protein Power People?

Anyone following the plan?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-07-15, 14:06

Plan: LC Paleo
Stats: 316/275/196 Male 72 Inches
BF:41%
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyJ
Anyone following the plan?

Hi there ! I am loosely following it , more on Paleo style lifestyle and finding a good weight loss with it but P-Power is one of my fave books and plans. It is a good motivational read.

Spike
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-05-16, 14:02
Registered Member

Plan: HFLC
Stats: 248/212.8/175 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 48%

I will be starting it in 2 days..hows it going for you?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-05-16, 14:10
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Hi Porthardy. That was my first LC resource. Do you have the original PP book, or PP Lifeplan? I took PP out of the library to get started. Some time later, I bought PPLP, and it was my 'a-ha' moment book when it came to issues like vitamin D, magnesium, and other important health issues that relate to diet. I like that their plan had three different "commitment" levels. You could do the easier, less-strict thing or be more of a control freak if you had the motivation and the resources.

Best of luck; keep us posted!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-07-16, 01:50
Registered Member

Plan: HFLC
Stats: 248/212.8/175 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 48%

To be honest...havent read any books..solely basing it on the info i got from the net..

Day 1 has gone smooth...not to bad...cravings for chocolate but i suspetthat has somthing to do with my impending cycle..

How have you been doing?
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-08-16, 09:38

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Christine, I agree with you completely. The original PP was somewhat fat phobic but I ignored that advice. Like you, I was impressed with the PPLP. I haven't liked any of their other books although I bought, read and tried them all. The 6-week plan and Maintenance were the worst and not worth the money. I notice that Nutri-System is advocating the 2 weeks of shakes as in the 6-week plan. At the end of the 2 weeks I never wanted to see a shake again!

I lost 80 pounds on PP. Took almost a year and was very frustrating but it worked and that is all I care about.

Do buy the books. Then you can underline and sticky important pages. The Eades were very influenced by Atkins. Different medical specialties so a different approach. Good luck.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-23-16, 18:08

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

Funny, because I found Dr. Eades's descriptions and explanations to be so easy to understand, and I had phenomenal success while doing it, I consider myself to a PP gal. Never mind that I am doing IF and shoot for 20 rather than the 30 grams that was my target back in '99 when the book was my guide. I still like him and try to benefit from his blog but I get frustrated with how little he interacts there. I want to be able to ask him questions directly. Can you imagine how busy that would keep him?
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-29-16, 22:00

Plan: DDF, Fung
Stats: 247/209/199 Female 66.5"
BF:kickin it
Progress: 79%

I enjoyed PP the original book immensely! I lost 40 pounds back in 1999, but for some stupid reason I gave it up and gained it all back. Re-starting has not been successful IMO, so don't be like me and give up the plan once you lose the weight! Best of luck!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jan-30-16, 13:06

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benay
Christine, I agree with you completely. The original PP was somewhat fat phobic but I ignored that advice. Like you, I was impressed with the PPLP. I haven't liked any of their other books although I bought, read and tried them all. The 6-week plan and Maintenance were the worst and not worth the money. I notice that Nutri-System is advocating the 2 weeks of shakes as in the 6-week plan. At the end of the 2 weeks I never wanted to see a shake again!

I lost 80 pounds on PP. Took almost a year and was very frustrating but it worked and that is all I care about.
Was the original PP fat phobic? I don't remember that but it's been years since I first read it, but it was PP that first led me to LC back in 1997, and I don't recall worrying about fat at all. Atkins had been around a long time at that point but, sorry to say, I read his book and thought he sounded like a snake oil salesman and it totally turned me off from the idea of low carb. But the PP book, with more emphasis on science, turned me on.

I lost 80 pounds in 14 months - but after a 3-year stall I admit I got discouraged and fell face-down into the carbs again and gained back all the weight "and then some" over the next 5 years, and it was not until 2006 I began a LC journey again, a journey I am still on now for 10 years.

I don't recall reading PPLP but I assume I did as I see I have both PP and PPLP on my "diet-related" bookshelf.

I hated the 6-week book! In fact I wrote a fairly critical review of it on Amazon which, for a long time, was on the top of the heap as the most helpful review. I got panned by Jimmy Moore for my review even though I started it right out by saying the Eades's were heroes of mine and I owed a lot to PP, and perhaps one reason I was so disappointed in this book (which felt quickly and hastily thrown together to me) was because I expected so much more from them.

In one of his blog posts Dr. Mike directly blamed my review for the poor sales of his book in the US, but I think the book spoke for itself in that regard. However he did say that in the UK (where my review was not around) his Amazon sales were much better.

These days I'm no longer on their specific plan, but I do owe them a lot.

Last edited by Merpig : Sat, Jan-30-16 at 13:15.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jan-30-16, 13:17

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
Was the original PP fat phobic? I don't remember that but it's been years since I first read it, but it was PP that first led me to LC back in 1997, and I don't recall worrying about fat at all. Atkins had been around a long time at that point but, sorry to say, I read his book and thought he sounded like a snake oil salesman and it totally turned me off from the idea of low carb. But the PP book, with more emphasis on science, turned me on.

I had the same reaction to Protein Power vs Atkins. Protein Power seemed more scientific and Atkins too hard sell for me. I don't remember Protein Power as fat phobic either but for me it was a long time ago too.

Jean
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jan-30-16, 19:49

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
I hated the 6-week book! In fact I wrote a fairly critical review of it on Amazon which, for a long time, was on the top of the heap as the most helpful review. I got panned by Jimmy Moore for my review even though I started it right out by saying the Eades's were heroes of mine and I owed a lot to PP, and perhaps one reason I was so disappointed in this book (which felt quickly and hastily thrown together to me) was because I expected so much more from them.

In one of his blog posts Dr. Mike directly blamed my review for the poor sales of his book in the US,
Ha Ha, I just had to check after not looking for years, and the "top reviews" for this book are now all 5-star reviews. I wonder how amazon determines top reviews? The top review says 211 people found the review helpful. If you look at all reviews mine still pops up as the most helpful critical review, with 349 people finding it helpful. I mean how does a review with 211 "helpfuls" get higher billing that a review with 349 "helpfuls"?
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jan-30-16, 22:33

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benay

Do buy the books. Then you can underline and sticky important pages. The Eades were very influenced by Atkins. Different medical specialties so a different approach. Good luck.

I don't know that I would call them fat phobic. They told us not to worry about the fat as it occurs naturally but I admit they didn't encourage us to add any, except that they did have fat fasts for when you stall.

I was thinking about finding my old copy if I still have it because I want the protein calculator.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jan-31-16, 06:14

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallmeAnn
I don't know that I would call them fat phobic. They told us not to worry about the fat as it occurs naturally but I admit they didn't encourage us to add any, except that they did have fat fasts for when you stall.

If you will remember they advised not eating too many eggs or hard cheese because of the fat content.

If you have a copy of PPLP, the charts for protein amounts are pretty close to the calculations in PP. They provided the charts because a lot of people seemed to have trouble with the calculations. I didn't.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jan-31-16, 07:43

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallmeAnn

I was thinking about finding my old copy if I still have it because I want the protein calculator.

I do have a PP available and can give you the calculations if you give me your stats: height in inches, waist measurement at belly button, hip at largest, and weight.

You can send it to me as a private message, if you prefer.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jan-31-16, 07:57

BF:

Quote:

In one of his blog posts Dr. Mike directly blamed my review for the poor sales of his book in the US, but I think the book spoke for itself in that regard. However he did say that in the UK (where my review was not around) his Amazon sales were much better.

These days I'm no longer on their specific plan, but I do owe them a lot.

I am surprised Dr Mike gave you static about your review of the 6-week cure. Some of the regular contributors to his forum offered to give it away to anyone who wanted it, finding it totally worthless. Maybe he doesn't read the forums. I was also surprised you got static from Jimmy Moore. I don't think he got that much out of the book himself. I keep it around--with Staying Power--as historical artifacts but not useful as references. I do go back to PP and PPLP if I need a refresher. And I use the protein calculator in PP every time I change my weight.