Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-01-19, 11:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/165/140 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default Renewing my low carb ways.

I previously lost 75 pounds and have kept it off for 3 years by low carbing for breakfast and lunch then eating high carb for for supper. Recently a well meaning friend talked me into going vegetarian with her and I gained 10 pounds.
I'm back on low carb full time to drop those 10 pounds but cruising the Internet I have come across some beautiful looking keto baked goods and would love to try them. I'm just worried that eating low carb bread may throw me off track and was wondering how many of you indulge in baked good but still lose weight? Or is this a pipe dream?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-01-19, 13:45

Plan: LC/GF
Stats: 208/174/168 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

Hi Betty, I too am eager to try keto baked goods. But I am not going to go there until I get to my goal, which seemingly will never come!

Is it a pipe dream? Everyone’s different, *I* would avoid them, but that’s me. I just do straight-ahead keto. KIS.

You could check out this website https://againstallgrain.com/ Ms. Walker is grain free (as am I) for health reasons, not weight loss. However, there are many good keto recipes there.

Also, there are quite a few recipes right here on this website for low carb bready-goody type things.

There is a long thread on the health aspects of vegetarianism under Research/Media you might find interesting.

Best wishes on your weight loss journey.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-01-19, 15:18

BF:

Thank you. You can reach your goal you just have to hang in there and don't give up.
When I first did low carb I had several false starts until one day I finally made up my mind to finish this and reach my goal. I lost 75 pounds reaching my goal and you can too.
I regained 10 pounds trying a vegetarian diet. It didn't work for me. Lol
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-19, 00:39
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyR
... I have come across some beautiful looking keto baked goods and would love to try them. I'm just worried that eating low carb bread may throw me off track and was wondering how many of you indulge in baked good but still lose weight? Or is this a pipe dream?
Hi Betty. I, too, generally consider the baked goods maintenance food. That said, they're still a better choice if you want a treat and/or maybe you're just kind of fed up, in a rut, etc. Maybe you have a party to go to and want to bring something you can enjoy. That kind of thing.

I don't overindulge when I make these things because they're just not that good. They're okay. They're a nice change. But when you remove the sugar and wheat, which are just plain addictive, that takes away the physiological factor. On the 'real thing', I'd binge until I was sick to my stomach and my brain would still scream at me to keep eating. Not so with 'replacements.' I get zero brain buzz. So it depends on how much of a psychological impact it has on you. For me, that's almost nil, but we're all in a different spot on that spectrum. Some folks might binge on those same treats.

I currently have in my freezer: homemade SF chocolate ice cream, coconut flour banana bread, and a pizza 'kit' with a coconut flour crust. They've been there for months and I just don't want them.

Best of luck. Wishing you good eatin'.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-19, 09:10

BF:

Thank you for your reply. I also find that the more sweets I eat the more I want. I made a chocolate low carb cheesecake for my daughter's birthday and it turned out really well. But I find that low carb cheesecake has a tendency to turn out closer to the real thing than other desserts.
The thing I miss most isn't sweets though, it's bread. I want bread for a breakfast egg sandwich or a BLT and a bun for pulled pork and hamburgers. That's what I'm worried about eating.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-19, 09:44

Plan: LC/GF
Stats: 208/174/168 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

A BLT Avocado lettuce wrap is quite nice.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-19, 10:22

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I plunk things like burgers, vLC pulled pork & sandwich fillings on top of some lettuce, a salad or warm vegetables and find the taste is more intense than when muffled by a bun. After a while I didn't miss the soggy bread. Chewy meat helps if you get cravings for a chewy sort of bun.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-19, 10:59
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Quote:
I previously lost 75 pounds and have kept it off for 3 years by low carbing for breakfast and lunch then eating high carb for for supper. Recently a well meaning friend talked me into going vegetarian with her and I gained 10 pounds.
I'm back on low carb full time to drop those 10 pounds but cruising the Internet I have come across some beautiful looking keto baked goods and would love to try them. I'm just worried that eating low carb bread may throw me off track and was wondering how many of you indulge in baked good but still lose weight? Or is this a pipe dream?
A lot about what the body will tolerate is based on sex and age. I'm living in my 75th year and in order to maintain my weight loss, I have to remain very strictly LC. Even then, some foods "stick" to me. It's sad, but true. Eating this way keeps me healthy, but I could gain all the weight back in an instant and become one of those sick old ladies riding a scooter.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-19, 11:55

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

I've done well eating LC baked goods within some parameters. First, my whole day is LC, so no high carb dinners. Within my carb limit for the day, I can tolerate baked goods. Not everything I make is sweetened, but for those that are I tend to stick to Splenda (the measure-for-measure baking kind). It is higher in carbs than the packet Splenda so you have to make sure to account for that.

Some people find that certain sweeteners affect their insulin and therefore their results when trying to eat low carb. I do okay with Splenda, other people don't. There doesn't seem to be a lot of consistency with which sweeteners affect which people. But it sounds like you don't have a lot of metabolic issues (if you could lose weight eating on a moderate carb plan, which I guess is what LC breakfast and lunch, plus high carb dinner might work out to). I'm the same way, so you might tolerate most of them just fine.

I've gotten most of my LC baking recipes from All Day I Dream About Food . I love her Cheesy Skillet Bread (I make this a lot--awesome substitute for corn bread), Raspberry Coconut Scones, Carrot Cake Pancakes and Blueberry Waffles for a start. I tried the Maple Scones once, but hated them--I think trying to substitute Splenda for the type of sweetener she uses didn't work for the icing. Plus the icing just made it way too sweet for me.

Another good place to check out is I Breathe, I'm Hungry

You also might want to dig through some of the archives on this site. Karen Barnaby used to be an active contributor here. I have her book and she included a recipe for "Colin's Omega Waffles" which I think came from another member here originally. They're a bit of pain to make, since you have to start them and then let them sit overnight. But I think they're worth it. They freeze well, so I make a big batch.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-19, 12:22
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

My favourite bread sub - coconut flour cheese tea biscuits. If you scroll down, you'll see my tweaks on the recipe.

Another nice one is the bun recipe from dietdoctor.com. They're really good, but I've given them up because all the almond flour (or maybe it's the psyllium?) seems to aggravate my arthritis and shoulder tendinitis.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-19, 16:53

Plan: Primal/IF
Stats: 220/165/176 Female 5'10"
BF:~40%/26.3%/29%
Progress: 125%

Quote:
... The thing I miss most isn't sweets though, it's bread. I want bread for a breakfast egg sandwich or a BLT and a bun for pulled pork and hamburgers. That's what I'm worried about eating.

These are the things I crave too. I have tried every LC bread twice over and was not a fan of any of them. So, I decided to treat myself once a week with a higher carb alternative. I found GF muffins an GF Brioche buns that are delicious and are around 20g of carbs each. I know not everyone can afford to eat those sorts of carbs, but for me, once a week hasn't made any difference to my weight loss.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-19, 18:06

Plan: Dr. Bernstein, low carb
Stats: 200/178/155 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 49%

I don't do bread or sweet substitutions that often. For me it is anything that is too delicious (hyper palatable) leads to too much eating, even if low carb.

I will do sweets for the holidays or a specific event where I want something special I can eat. I always make a pumpkin cheesecake for Thanksgiving.

For bread, I make oopsies and keep in my freezer for times when I want a sandwich or hotdog or somesuch to eat with the family or on a picnic. But half the time I forget about them and just eat a lunch meat rollup.

My husband is not quite on the low carb band wagon because he doesn't want to give up tortillas or buns (he will sometimes do lettuce wrap burger). He doesn't like the taste of oopsies - too eggy. I might have to make him those biscuits!

I've done savory minute microwave muffins before. But find them to be too filing and heavy to use to make a sandwich or for a bun.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-19, 19:48

BF:

Thanks to everyone who replied to my post. I'm looking forward to trying the recipes Kristine. By the way, my youngest daughter's name is Kristine. Lol
Mycie14, I like oopsies too. I especially like to make a cookie sheet of them and put a large dollop of sweetened and flavored cream cheese in the middle and bake them. I think they're called oopsie danishes.
My husband doesn't eat low carb but he loves the oopsie danishes. I have to make a double recipe if I expect to get any.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-19, 08:33

Plan: Atkins/Duke diet
Stats: 267/173.8/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 76%

Betty,

I have a friend who is doing keto with her daughter and they have experimented a lot with keto bread and dessert recipes. We recently spent a girls weekend at the lake wit her and she brought chips she made from almond flour tortillas that were quite good. She also made some of what she called keto bagels that we used for toast and sandwiches. I really like the chips and they were easy to make if you can find the almond flour tortillas in your store. She just cut the tortillas in chip triangles and placed on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Sprayed them with a little olive oil and sprinkled with a little salt. They were delicious. Of course you must also limit how much of them you eat. The almond flour is low carb......but still have carbs like all nuts do.

Low carb cheesecake is also an easy dessert that tastes great. There are several recipes out there for the cheesecake. George Stella has a really good one that you can probably find on his web site.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-19, 09:16

BF:

Thanks Lbangle,
Over the years of low carbing I have dicovered that as long as a cheesecake doesn't have stuff in it like blobs of cookie dough it's pretty easy to duplicate in low carb. Just use several different low carb sweetners, I use at least 3, and sweeten to taste. That way you don't get any after taste or cooling effects from any one of them.
Then make the crust with 3 parts almond flour and 1 part coconut flour and sweeten the same way, to taste. Then bake at 350 for 15 minutes and cool completely.
I made a Mississippi Mud cheesecake for my daughter's birthday cake. Of course I subbed extra creamy cool whip for the marshmallow cream and used Hershey's sugar free chocolate chips to make the ganache.
Every one seemed to like it and several people came back for seconds. Nobody even guessed it was sugar free.