Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Salads Veggies & Side Dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-13, 15:23
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Dumplings (for Chicken & Dumplings or Soups)

For the last couple years I’ve been working hard to come up with low-carb dumplings that, in my opinion, taste and have the mouth feel of the dumplings I made before I was low-carbing. All experiments have been mediocre, at best. Somewhere on the net a year or so ago, maybe herem maybe on Low Carb Friends forums (but not the gluc sticky thread I researched today), I wrote down by hand someone’s dumpling recipe made with glucomannan powder. I’d love to give credit to my inspiration on this, but I must admit on this one occasion (which is rare for me), I did indeed fail to write down the person who was my inspiration on this. If it's a member here, I hope you'll step forward so I can give credit to you on my website.

Glucomannan adds the elasticity and slight chewiness needed for dumplings and noodles. So I’ve really been experimenting a a great deal with gluc powder this past year. Whoever posted this basic recipe had no leavening in their version and I found them way too dense. Might experiment with the dough for possible noodle results, but just not light enough for dumplings IMO. So I added some baking powder and VOILA, a fairly light dumpling that will now be my go to recipe. As you can see in the pic above, they held together nicely during simmering (unlike most of my previous almond flour/coconut flour dumpling attempts that disintegrated in the broth), yet the gluc powder still gave off enough thickening from the surface to slightly thicken the broth! NICE!

These were the best low-carb dumplings I’ve had in three years, for sure! My husband gave these dumplings two thumbs up today! (he's pretty picky). He was astounded when I read him the low calorie/carb count for these. Guilt free dumplings at last!! YAAAAAAY!

The recipe posted elsewhere on my website for chicken and dumplings is good, don’t get me wrong. But you have to bake those rolls for the dumplings separately in that recipe. With this dumpling recipe, I can stir the ingredients together when my broth is ready and the dumplings are simmering immediately! Much easier! And I'm one in to EASY, FAST cooking.

These would also be good (made much smaller) for vegetable soups and I plan to try my hand at gnocchi with this dough as well. One might be able to make this dough into a VERY large German-style dumpling to have with Wiener Schnitzel, but I would have NO idea how long that would take to get done simmering in the broth. Should I ever try the mega-dumpling, I’ll post my results on my website. These are not suitable until the grains rung of the Atkins OWL ladder due to the oat fiber.

NOTE: I order glucomannan and oat fiber from Netrition.com as I have yet to find it in any brick and mortar store.

INGREDIENTS:

3/4 tsp. baking powder (not in original recipe)
1½ T. glucomannan powder (Konjac powder)
1½ T. oat fiber (NOT oat flour or oat bran, which are much higher in carbs)
1/8 tsp. salt
¼ c. +2 T. water
1 extra large or jumbo egg, beaten

VARIATION: Add 1-2 T. finely chopped parsley

DIRECTIONS: Beat the egg in a small bowl with a fork. Add the water and beat until well blended. On a paper plate or in another bowl, mix the dry ingredients well. Slowly sprinkle the dry ingredients into the wet, beating constantly as you incorporate the two. Using a rubber spatula, fold the mixture over and over itself until the glucomannan has thickened the mixture into a smooth batter and eventually a thick dough. Using a teaspoon, drop 1″ balls of the dough into boiling soup/chicken stock, cover. you want a medium simmer on the fire. From the time you cover the pot, set timer for exactly 10 minutes (less if you chose to make very small dumplings). I like to remove chicken, meat or large chunks of vegetables to a platter while the dumplings are cooking to prevent overcooking and to allow ample room for the dumplings to rise and swell up. DO NOT LIFT THE LID or disturb the pot during this 10 minutes. Voila. They’re done! I have not found I have to thicken the stock further but you can decide if YOU want to thicken yours or not.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 12 medium-large 1¼” dumplings (this diameter after cooking), each contains:

7.17 calories
.49 g fat
1.38 g carbs, 1.29 g fiber, .1 g NET CARBS
.61 g protein
55 mg sodium
6.5 mg potassium
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-13, 15:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 237.0/209.0/160 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 36%

Looks great Peggy!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-13, 16:25
Patience Personified

Thanks, Roxanne. It was VERY tasty. I see lots of potential variations on the horizon.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-13, 21:21

Stats: 180/154/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 52%

I will be trying this one, Peggy! It will go really good with my homemade chicken stock/soup. I'll put a little bit of canned chicken in it, too. Thanks for the recipe!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-13, 05:25
Patience Personified

It's a good one Pollyanna. Be sure when you make it that your broth isn't simmering too fast of they will tend to fall apart. Low and slow is good.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-13, 10:37

Stats: 180/154/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 52%

It was delicious! What a wonderful recipe!

I added a small can of drained chicken and chopped chives to my homemade stock, then added dumplings.

Thank you so much for this recipe!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-13, 08:52
Patience Personified

Oh, I'm so glad those cooked up OK and that you liked them! Yipee! Some folks have had trouble cooking them (falling apart in the broth), but I think it has just been because their broth was boiling too hard and the bubble action tore them up. When retried with a lower simmer, they have had success on second try. This recipe has so much potential. the make great little Gnocchi, which I have done now successfully. One girl on LowCarbFriends rolled her dough out beetween plastic and cut into flat Italian-style noodles and they were beautiful in the pic she shared. I'm trying that way next time.