Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-02-18, 20:32

Plan: Atkins DANDR/ Candida
Stats: 300/195.2/172 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 82%
Default back at Atkins to finish the job

Hi all,

I used to be a member here many moons ago and was also very active on another Atkins board that has become a ghost town.

I had lost #110 (65 on Atkins DANDR and another 45 but taking the extra step and following the Candida diet measures to boot) but life interfered.

3 International moves, 2 parent illnesses and deaths, one forced retirement later and I am finally pulling things together to make myself the priority again.

I was at my lowest 5 years ago---at the age of 52-- so this WOE can work for you even after menopause. It was a long hard fight but worth every single second which is why I am ready to tackle this again. I know the WOE works if you stick with it.

Nice to see the forum is getting traffic. Jill
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-02-18, 23:09

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Welcome back! I am back, too, after a year of extreme stress and some illness. When I was sick, I was gaining 3-4 pounds a week and I piled on 25 pounds in just a couple of months in addition to the more before that from stress. It's slow going but I wanted to check out resources on intermittent fasting and get in the right mindset.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-03-18, 02:47

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome back to both of you. Jschwab, the most active...and longstanding thread on IF is in the Diabetes sub-forum titled Dr Jason Fung. The most active thread on Dr Westman's diet is in the General Low Carb forum (where most questions seem to end up) and the carnivore diet is in the war zone.
The regular search box was disabled, but under it, use Advanced Search and that goes to google limited to this website. That works well trying to find a topic if you qualify the search enough and watch the dates (it drags up oldies but goodies).

Gzgirl, if you were on the now closed LCfriends, there is a buddy group https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=479435. If you enter from this index page you can see what's active https://forum.lowcarber.org

All the best to you both,
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Nov-03-18, 07:25

BF:

Thanks. I was actually on the ADBB board which was focused on DANDR (the only version of low carb that ever really worked with me) under a different user name. For me, I could never lose following the general rules and limits. I was one of the folks who had to stay clear of all the lc commercial foods and mixes, and even too much of the allowed foods could throw me off. I am guessing it was/is the candida.

One good thing came from the Candida cleanse. I found the value in adding one single food (not food group) at a time and discovered I had some odd triggers that should have been "safe" foods for me. Eggplant and spaghetti squash were among the surprises. I also limit dairy to a bare minimum. I can do butter and cheese in small quantities but the cream, yogurts and other dairy I need to leave alone even in my later stages.

The good thing is that with each round I learn more about my body, making for fewer ups and downs as I eliminate trigger foods. The tough part is that it leaves you with a strict regimen but for me, :abstinence is easier than moderation" anyway
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-03-18, 07:34

BF:

Just noticed my stats...they were from close to my low point. will have to readjust but hope to have them back at 300/205/145 in a year's time.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-04-18, 04:10

If you want a Strict program, that's the Dr Westman diet at Duke, Gary Taubes quoted him in a new speech https://forum.lowcarber.org/showpos...29&postcount=87

Cream limit is 2T, Cheese only 4 Oz. Limited vegetable list.
I think eggplant is a "nightshade", maybe limit any from that plant family?
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-04-18, 10:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/143/125 Female 63
BF:33.2/28.7%/24%
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzgirl
Thanks. I was actually on the ADBB board which was focused on DANDR (the only version of low carb that ever really worked with me) under a different user name. For me, I could never lose following the general rules and limits. I was one of the folks who had to stay clear of all the lc commercial foods and mixes, and even too much of the allowed foods could throw me off. I am guessing it was/is the candida.

One good thing came from the Candida cleanse. I found the value in adding one single food (not food group) at a time and discovered I had some odd triggers that should have been "safe" foods for me. Eggplant and spaghetti squash were among the surprises. I also limit dairy to a bare minimum. I can do butter and cheese in small quantities but the cream, yogurts and other dairy I need to leave alone even in my later stages.

The good thing is that with each round I learn more about my body, making for fewer ups and downs as I eliminate trigger foods. The tough part is that it leaves you with a strict regimen but for me, :abstinence is easier than moderation" anyway

Hi Gzgirl. Your post has given me food for thought 😉. I stay away from LC commercial food also and it seems to me that I can’t eat much more than 20 carbs in order to lose. I like your idea of trigger foods. I probably eat too much cheese. That is probably my main thing. I don’t eat dairy. My other problem is getting enough fiber. I eat salads but mostly for lunch and veggies at dinner. Doesn’t seem to ‘move’ me. 🤔. I’m taking Benefiber each morning. It’s so so. I just keep plugging away. I love how I feel on this WOE. Life is good. Thanks for your info.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Nov-04-18, 13:25

BF:

The fiber can be tough --- I tend to do an afternoon snack of red pepper slices and 1/2 cup of guacamole. Both have a lot of fiber in them. Jicama is great for fiber too. I like it sliced raw as a snack, brushed with oil and oven roasted til brown, but my favorite is a red pepper (sweet) and jicama slaw made with oil, organic apple cider vinegar, Splenda, red cayenne, cilantro and a dash of cumin.

Spicy, tart and a little sweet -- hits the spot when you need a zap of flavor. If you havent tried it, jicama is a fiber powerhouse!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Nov-04-18, 13:29

BF:

LCer4life -- I actually found I can take my net grams of carb higher provided 80% of the carbs are from low glycemic veg and not all the other stuff like dairy, sweeteners, salad dressings, etc. In fact, I can go up to about 40-45 grams but the veggies have to be the star of the day for it to work.

I think finding out the right mix is something that is very individual. There were a lot of folks who swore by all the lc casseroles from one of the sites (Laurie's low carb recipes maybe?) But they just never worked for me. I can get away with 3 oz of cheese daily. Period. And that is only if I am not using sour cream or other dairy. It has taken me a dozen times and a number of years to figure out what does and doesnt work for my body. I think I have figures it out---now I just have to stick with it. :/
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Nov-04-18, 13:35

BF:

Hi JEY 100 - thank you for the nightshade info. Through trial and error I have figured out that I can do the nightshades such as tomato and pepper but, yeah, the eggplant does not work. I have been low carbing since 1993 but it took me until 2010 to take the step of going candida and really finding out my food intolerances. The bad thing was that it is a slow process and if you mess up you are bloated and gaining for several days. The good thing is you feel it immediately if you encounter a trigger (and that doesnt have to be a craving starter; it can be a food that stalls or bloats you) and then you know. I usually would try a food a second or third time several days later to confirm. Took me about 6 months to get back up to a wide enough range of foods to have a reasonably stocked daily menu, but it taught me a lot about my body and explained a lot about why I had been stalled for months with the see saw going back and forth.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Nov-04-18, 20:34

BF:

Today was 19.6 net gr carbs and about 1450 calories (low for me). About 14 of the carbs were veggie carbs.

ALso did a weight workout to wake up the muscles after a long lapse. Easing into this. Water was a little low. Working to hit 64 oz before bedtime
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-18, 11:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCer4Life
... My other problem is getting enough fiber. I eat salads but mostly for lunch and veggies at dinner. Doesn’t seem to ‘move’ me. 🤔 ...

I recently started adding a couple of tablespoons of ground flax seed to my food each day for added fiber. Thing is you really should buy the seeds whole and grind them fresh (I use a coffee bean grinder) and store all of it, ground and unground, in the freezer to keep them from going rancid. And yes, they help! Have to make sure to drink plenty of water as added fiber can actually block you even more if you don't. You need to grind them to derive any benefit, otherwise they just pass right through you.

Last edited by barb712 : Mon, Nov-05-18 at 11:59.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-18, 12:14

BF:

thanks, Barb. Yeah I know the flax seed stuff. Just don't have any in the pantry at the moment. Once I get beyond induction my fiber is usually fine because I boost it with more veg. I can usually get in about 20 gr of fiber without flax after I get to the 30 gr a day mark. In the meantime, I will take some psyllium husk and keep the avocados handy.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-18, 05:31

If you ever want to check the alternate view about fiber, it is in the war zone
https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=481174
I try to keep Total carbs below 20g forever, and have for 8 years now. The addition of IF starting in 2014 was an simple solution to keeping carbs low.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-18, 07:55

BF:

Fascinating article! In the past I did really well with the carbs about 25-30 net gr, provided they are 90% from veggies and that contains enough fiber for my system to operate really well without any kind of supplements. The veg also helps fill me. I miss the extra veg when I am below 20 grams, but is mostly due to the lack of variety. As long as I am eating on plan, and the body is functioning well, I don't worry about the totals for single days.

I know as soon as my veg intake goes up a little, I will be fine. Between a recent long trip and Induction, my intestines are just a little out of sorts at the moment.