Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, May-08-20, 13:54

Plan: Dr Ted Naiman + IF
Stats: 320/158/140 Female 5'10" age 56
BF:
Progress: 90%

Curious - what did you use to add protein? Did it also add fat to the diet? Are you sure you didn't also increase fat while increasing protein? That is where it is problematic per Dr. Naiman.

What were your protein and fat and carb macros before and after? What were your glucose numbers? Chocolate cake would give me something in the 200s - is that what you saw? Was it really like chocolate cake? Are you diabetic?

I do hope anyone reading this would not be discouraged by you popping in here and asserting this chocolate cake glucose response that has been debunked and is just not going to happen to most people unless there is some medical issue or something else going on that isn't part of the Dr. Naiman plan.

I did watch another youtube video by Dr. Bikman. He did talk about how adding protein to the diet in the presence of glucose does cause a greater insulin response. Also, I gather that it can be problematic for people with diabetes.

I really cannot get much of a reaction at all to protein meals, or protein plus fat meals, or eating the normal protein/fat meals and topping it off with 0% greek yogurt (huge protein load) on the continuous glucose monitor, and I have been watching and it has been recent (I've had it for 3 weeks).

Last edited by Key Tones : Fri, May-08-20 at 14:03.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, May-09-20, 21:45

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Sorry, not trying to debunk anything or discourage anyone, just part of my own long term discouragement that I never seem to react the way I’m “supposed” to. I’m just mostly depressed these days and have semi given up. Yeah I should probably try more protein and less fat. I just find that so unpalatable. I just find it so hard to stick with a plan when you don’t enjoy what you eat.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, May-10-20, 20:56

BF:

Ah, well-I do know how that is. I was stuck in the 250s for a long time, and bounced back to it after trial and error for many years. I finally have figured out the protein piece, the IF, thefasting, the intensive exercises. I need to do it all—and it isn’t as hard as calories restriction was. I wish I had tried the low carb high protein years ago.

Sorry to hear about the depression. I’ve been there - the depression/anxiety combo is the worst problem I’ve ever had to master-worse than the weight issue. I do find keeping the blood glucose under control is key. I love following psychiatrist Dr. Chris Palmer. He has been interviewed many times on YouTube.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, May-16-20, 08:20

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

A new Nai-meme on his Twitter and Facebook, but not on website yet. Too hard to attach the photo here, but he ranks the P:E diet foods into four categories of energy:satiety. Satiety From Food per Amount of Dietary Energy.

Quote:
THE CAUSE OF OBESITY • Obesity is not complicated. The exact cause is the refinement of carbs and fats, creating dietary energy that has been separated from satiety. This worsens when we combine high energy density refined carbs and fats TOGETHER, creating NEGATIVE satiety.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, May-16-20, 11:51

BF:

Yes! His memes are so great!

Oh, ha! I just noticed my weight says 212. It’s actually 205-206 this month! Gotta go fix that right now!!
  #21   ^
Old Sat, May-16-20, 11:55

BF:

I’m going to try uploading my favorite Naimeme. Probably will fail.

Here:

Fail. Too large.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, May-16-20, 12:04
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

KT, our image uploading is broken. I use a site called imgbb.com .
  #23   ^
Old Sun, May-17-20, 11:25

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones
Oh, ha! I just noticed my weight says 212. It’s actually 205-206 this month! Gotta go fix that right now!!
Wow, congratulations on that!
  #24   ^
Old Thu, May-28-20, 04:43

Dr. Naimen has launched a new website: http://www.lowenergydiet.com/

The low energy diet is explained all in memes.

Has his P:E calculator, all the you need to create a low energy diet, whether you are a vegetarian or carnivore or in between.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, May-28-20, 05:34

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Dr Naiman says:

Quote:
Beware of processing that separates food ENERGY from its NUTRITION leaving you with nutrient devoid "edible products" - devitalized dead food which provide dangerously high energy with no micronutrient satiety.

This is how I have been eating following Marty Kendall's nutrient optimizer advice which is in line with Ted Naiman's approach. For me it has worked like a charm. I have upped my protein and lowered my fat while keeping my carbs low. I lost the 10-15 pounds of weight I had gained while feeling more satisfied eating fewer overall calories.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, May-28-20, 05:49

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Thanks for the link. I like the pictures and realize... I DO EAT FRUIT on occasion

#27   ^
Old Thu, May-28-20, 06:45
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Me too, like it's goin' outta style! I even grow my own! If I ever developed a sensitivity to nightshades, I'd cry.

I like this site. He basically just gave out the Coles notes version of the book for free. Special shout-out to whoever did the little graphics - I love the jam jar that just says "yum" and the frozen dinner that says "Dinner XXL".
  #28   ^
Old Thu, May-28-20, 08:41

Thud, I know...those are my four favorite "vegetables" To top salad greens...because they are sweet!
  #29   ^
Old Thu, May-28-20, 11:35

BF:

No wonder many of us struggle so. So many "experts" and so many conflicting opinions. Funny I see Naiman says diet sodas are perfectly fine though almost everyone else says they are the devil. He seems to be a fan of fiber but I just finished reading Maria Emmerich's Keto Success book last night and she says fiber is the devil and should be avoided as much as possible.

They both seem to agree that more protein and less fat is good - but Naiman's graphic of the four pounds of food equaling 1600 calories looks horrible to me as what's the point of eating 1600 calories when you hate your food? And while I am trying to increase protein and lower fat it's the fat that makes food palatable to me.

And he shows lots of veggies there whereas Emmerich says a couple veggies are okay to add a little color and texture to your meal, but they are basically all anti-nutrients and should be avoided as much as possible. Though she is more in favor of veggies that are actually technically fruits - avocado, tomato, cucumber, etc.

But if you listen to all the "experts" there is no way to know the best way to eat because there are so many disagreements!

Other than that fact that, per his graphic, we all know doughnuts and potato chips are bad - but still a huge confusion factor for me when it comes to the "good" foods.
  #30   ^
Old Fri, May-29-20, 06:51

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I agree. My approach is to follow the "expert" whose message resonates with me and makes the most sense to me. Individual trial and error is what it comes down to.