Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Quick Meals & Snacks
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-08-02, 12:39
Reinventing Myself

Plan: Doctor's Plan
Stats: */*/* Female 5 ft 3 in
BF:
Progress: 77%
Default Deviled Egg Help

Can someone give me the BASIC recipie for deviled eggs? I have found a lot of variations, but I don't know what to start with to even ADD the variations.
Thank you!
~Michelle
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-14-02, 21:02
Reinventing Myself

Plan: Doctor's Plan
Stats: */*/* Female 5 ft 3 in
BF:
Progress: 77%

Just bumping this up...
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-14-02, 21:19

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 238/212/180 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 45%

This may be way more basic than what you were wanting, but here is how I make my deviled eggs for my family.

I put my eggs in a pot of cold water with enough water that they are covered. Bring to boil and boil for 10 minutes. Pour off water and then run cold water on them for several minutes to cool. Peel and cut lengthwise placing the yolks in a bowl. Lay the whites that are the shells on a dish.

Using a fork, mash the yolks until they are finely crumbled. Salt and peper to taste. Now for doing about 8 eggs, I use approximately 3/4 cup of mayonaise. I never measure, so play with this amount. To this I add approximately 1 tsp. of prepared mustard. I know it has carbs, but I use about 1 tsp of sweet pickle relish to add a little zing to the mix. Stir this thoroughly until well mixed. Put in a small zip bag and close. Using a scissors, snip a corner of the bag and you can then squeeze the yolk mixture into your whites and there you have it.

Hope this works well. I'm sure there are many variations out there.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-18-02, 10:46

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 265/258/129
BF:48/48/20
Progress: 5%

My basic recipe is this:
Bring your eggs to a boil, turn off burner and let them sit for 15 minutes. then, drain them and add cold water. Let cool. Peel eggs and cut lengthwise. Whites on plate, yolks in bowl.

Basic part: add enogh mayo to give it the consistancy that you like. Salt and pepper. Spoon yolk mixture back into egg whites and sprinkle with paprika.

Variations:
1 tsp of yellow or any other kind of mustard
horseradish
seafood sauce
herbs and spices galore
let your imagination run wild!!!

Some additions you add may have sugar, use your best judgement whether it will set off cravings for you. It depends on the amount that you use.

Alena.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-18-02, 20:54
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 205/189/150
BF:
Progress: 29%

I used to like mine with miracle whip and sweet relish. Now for a sweet version I use a little Splenda in my mayo. Start out with maybe 1/2 tablespoon and then adjsut to your taste. Instead of sweet relish I used chopped dill spears. Have heard about those splenda pickles but haven't ordered 'em yet!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-18-02, 21:15

Stats: 230/198.6/170 Female 67inches
BF:
Progress: 52%

fyi, mt olive pickles w/ splenda are fabulous. I challenge you to taste a difference between them and pickles w/ sugar. I got them here at kroger
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 12:40
Registered Member

Stats: 205/189/150
BF:
Progress: 29%

Thanks Mo..I have looked at super w-mart and albertson's and have had no luck. Were they with the regular pickles??? Or the diet stuff??? I've looked both places. Found them online but they have been out of stock((( I do have a Kroger I'll check out!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Dec-27-02, 15:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 161/134/135
BF:
Progress: 104%

My daughter makes the filling by crumbling the yokes, adding mayo, prepared mustard, some of the juice from spanish olives (the green ones stuffed with pimento), and paprika. Stuff into egg whites and sprinkle with more paprika - looks pretty too. Occasionlly, my daughter chops some of the green olives up into the mix, but I like it with just the juice...
We make huge platters of this for Thanksgiving and Christmas and they always disappear rather quickly.

(tip - if you break some of the whites trying to peel them, don't dispair - chop them up and add a bit of the filling to make egg salad - yummy)

--casuzen
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-02, 10:28

Stats: 367/225/175
BF:
Progress: 74%

Mmmmm yummy!! I need to leave these Kitchen posts...I'm starvin!!

I make my deviled eggs with just mayo and dill relish. I add in a little Splenda if I'm feeling like it. Sometimes I throw some chili pepper in there and YUMMY!!

By the way ptjody, I love the sandwich bag idea!! That is great!!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-02, 10:40

Plan: Atkins/CAD/Now?
Stats: 216/210.5/110?? Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 25%

We just make the basic mayo/mustard/paprika and that's how we all love them.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jan-04-03, 21:44
Registered Member

Stats: 270/258.8/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 9%

I found a variation in my cook book that called for a bit of tuna and lemon juice added to the yolks with salt, pepper and mayo. It was really good. There were several other varieties mentioned in the cook book too, I'll try and come back to post them in awhile. Right now, I'm looking for a ground beef recipe to feed the family, and got sidetracked, lol.

Last edited by AKWood : Sat, Jan-04-03 at 21:45.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-03, 07:15

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Gotta love this WOE!! When I was following traditional low-fat, low-cal plan, I wanted devilled eggs so badly, my absolute favourite at parties. Now, I can have 'em any time I want (smug smile here!!) :I feel sooo deprived LCing