Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-16-01, 16:47
Registered Member

Plan: Calorie control
Stats: 169/150/140 Female 5 ft. 6 in.
BF:
Progress: 66%

Hi People:

I don't know how many of you on this list are familiar with the food combining principles of not mixing proteins with starches and only eat your fruit in the morning on an empty stomach. You can eat veggies with starches. This is the basics of natural hygiene - the premise of "Fit For Life". I would say that low carbing is definitely food combining in that we try to not eat carbs, but eat only protein and veggies.

Has anyone tried food combining? I've dabbled in it, but never took it too seriously. I know I've only been doing low carbs for less than a week - but I can tell you that the thoughts of never having pasta again really bugs me. One can have pasta with great veggies sauces without adding protein - therefore sticking to food combining principles....and supposedly the body can handle this without the weight gain.

Just wondering if anyone has seriously done food combining and if they found the results acceptable?

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-01, 05:46

Plan:
Stats: 203/122/128
BF:
Progress:

I've never tried it but read a book on it......... lol it was just to confusing for me to get. But if your considering doing it more seriously then the best of luck to you!

#3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-01, 07:35
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

I think this is the main idea behind the Montignac diet, in a nut shell it doesn't allow combining fat with carbs. Meals are either protein and fat, or protein and carbs.

Wa'il
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-01, 08:06
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Tamarian:

No food combining principles are definitely against combining protein with carbs! It has to do with the stomach acid. There is one acid to break down proteins and another to break down carbs. When one eats protein and carbs at the same meal these two acids interefer with each other (one acidic and one is alkaline) - that is why most people experience "heartburn" - the two acids competing with each other - cancelling each other out and the food, instead of digesting, just sits in the stomach and rots - expelling gasses.

The basic premis of food combining.

Between midnight and noon eat nothing but fresh fruit (because the body is in the ellimination stage and shouldn't have to deal with digestion - but fruit digests in 20 minutes therefore it doesn't disrupt the ellimination stage).

Afternoon, you can eat other foods, but never combine protein with a carb (NEVER). If you eat a meal that has flesh, then you should wait something like 4 hours before you eat food again so that this food has time to pass out of the stomach. Flesh foods take longer to digest.

If you eat fruit - wait 20 minutes before you eat any other type of food. And NEVER eat fruit in combination with anything else - meaning don't eat it after a meal as a dessert - because it digests so quickly, if other food is in the stomach it will just ferment in the stomach and cause problems.

If you eat a meal that is veggies and carbs you can eat another meal in 3 hours because it digests quicker. Veggies can digest in both types of stomach acid that is why they can be combined with both proteins and starches without causing digestive upsets.

Eat as much high water content food as possible and as much fresh food as possible, meaning try not to cook your food too much - this destrory life-giving enzymes.

The idea behind food combining is that the body works in cycles and we tend to keep piling in food all the time, and food that doesn't compliment each other. So, the body cannot handle all this food, so it just stores it as fat so that it can deal with it later...but later never comes because we keep piling food into our bodies - and usually improperly combined food at that.

My main reason for asking the questions was wondering whether if one eats carbs - such as whole wheat breads and pastas (not junk food) but doesn't combine it with a protein whether this will cause insulin levels to rise or remain the same? Thus still be burning fat - yet being able to enjoy carbs too.

Do you think Atkins would know the answer?

Regards,
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-01, 09:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Well, Debaroo, I'm no expert in the subject, but when you go to the doctor to get your blood sugar levels tested, you're supposed to fast for some hours beforehand. Then you're given a sugary drink (no protein) and afterwards your blood is tested to see how you've metabolized the sugar. If sugar, and therefore insulin, levels *didn't* rise in the absence of protein, I don't see how this test could work; EVERYONE would test normal!

I've probably got this scrambled; Doreen, or other knowledgeable souls, help?

Rachel
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-01, 09:25
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Debaroo,

I food combined about 13 years ago but opted for the vegetarian version - just vegetables and carbs - so I didn't switch back and forth with protien and vegetables. Did fruit in the morning and then had a fruit snack 4 hours after the last meal. I was in Mexico for 3 months at that time, so it was pretty easy to do with all the great fruits, tortillas and vegetables. When I look back, I realize I was starving myself. I took their vegetarian principles very seriously and ate very little fat as well.

Have a look at Suzanne Sommers book. It's what food combining transformed into and there is much more variety in eating. However, if you're a sugar junkie, eating any carbs at all can be dangerous and set you off on a binge or have you fall off the wagon for a long period of time.

Some people are successful with the Carbohydrate Addict's Diet where you get a "reward meal" once a day that is a balanced amount of protien, vegetable and carbs. The same warning applies to this too.

Personally, I try to stick to foods as close to their natural state as possible. When you combine flour and liquid together, no matter if it ends up as pasta or bread, you are eating glue. This is what I tell myself.

After you're in the low-carb swing of things, eating carbs will make you feel so yukky that you'll wonder why you bothered. This comes from someone who woke up with a huge carb hangover on Monday from indulging in dessert on Easter. It will now take me at least 4 days to get back on track.

With all that said, we're all unique and with determination and trial and error, we all develop an LC way of eating different from everone else that keeps us happy and healthy.

Karen

#7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-01, 09:30

BF:

Something else I've never understood about food combining (though I've never read the book which might explain it) is that some carb foods also contain significant amount of protein. For example, combining beans and grains will yield a complete protein, yet they are both carby foods.

Well, I don't want to get into a debate here, and food combining (a la Fit for Life) obviously works for some people. I suppose anything that focuses on whole foods and eliminates processed carbs and sugars has got to be an improvement over the 'typical' North American diet!

Rachel
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-01, 12:56
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Karen for your first-hand experience with food combining. I guess I just have to stick this out and get over the carb addiction. I do know that I am addicted - BIG TIME. Been two days now with no caffeine - but I had to take an IBprofin this morning due to headache.

Hope your hangover is short lived

Regards,
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-01, 14:52
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default Food Combining

Well, I've typed up two big, long, detailed posts here, and crashed both times, losing everything, including my mind. This is my third and last attempt...

Anyway, I too dabbled in food combining a la Fit for Life. However the original concept of separating foods that require different digestive processes was developed by an American Dr. William Hay, in the early 1900's. His program, known as "Haying" was in fact, much closer to what we now know as the Paleo Diet. He suggested the diet should be based mostly on vegetables and fruits, supplemented with lean meats, fowl, fish and eggs. Soured dairy products were preferred, such as yogurt, buttermilk and fresh cottage cheeses. Dairy butter only and pure olive oil, no margarine. Grains, breads, baked goods and especially legumes/pulses were frowned upon as being difficult to digest and the cause of much evil in the intestines. Under no circumstance were they to be eaten at the same time as simple to digest meats. Vegetables and non-sweet fruits however, were "neutral", and could be eaten with any food.

In the '80s, the push was on to a more vegetarian, grain-based diet; meat and cholesterol was Public Enemy Numero Uno. Fit for Life, and other similar plans took the original concept of separating foods, and completely changed it to the "modern" philosophy.

Fats, not meat protein, slows the digestive process. When lowcarbing, this is beneficial for providing satiety, and to slow the blast of carbohydrate into the bloodstream, which would otherwise cause a rapid rise in blood sugar and insulin.

Deb, the cravings will disappear, honest. Browse through our member's recipes, and Karen's gourmet recipes (on the red menu bar at the top of the page) or check out Lowcarb Cafe, and Lowcarb Luxury, among many others. You'll find many recipes for lowcarb substitutes for pastas, breads, etc .... Many folks report how healthy, and energetic they feel when lowcarbing, then cave in to craving and go on a wild carb-binge. They feel sick, bloated, gassy, blah ....

Wow, you're giving up caffeine too?? What a woman!

Doreen
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-01, 23:56
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by r.mines
Something else I've never understood about food combining (though I've never read the book which might explain it) is that some carb foods also contain significant amount of protein. For example, combining beans and grains will yield a complete protein, yet they are both carby foods.

Rachel,

I believe you are thinking about the Diet For a Small Planet combining which combines amino acids to form complete proteins. You bring up an interesting question though about carby foods yielding complete proteins. Hmm...

Anyway, the Fit for Lifers frowned upon beans because they contained both carbs and proteins.

Karen
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-18-01, 00:04
Forum Founder

BF:

Debaroo,

You CAN do it! You just have to want to do it more than anything else in the world. The reasons have to be bigger than the desire for carbs. It isn't easy, but the rewards are tremendous You will be so happy with yourself

One day at a time, or better still, one minute at a time and those minutes add up quickly into days.

I can't believe you gave up coffee too. An act of true bravery!

Karen
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Apr-18-01, 07:32
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks again for the support. I'm still plugging away. It will be one week tomorrow :0 As for giving up coffee...well, me and Taster's Choice Decaf have formed quite the relationship in the last couple of days. I'm sure decaf is not the greatest thing, but it's warm in my tummy in the morning and I like the flavour (I can hear some of you groan about decaff...and here's the kicker....it's instant!) Ahhhhhh!

I've been looking over those recipes for sure and I'm going to try out that tai chicken (can't remember the exact name) from Karen's gourmet site..the one that you put on a platter. Look yummy

I made some lettuce wraps last night (out of my head)...ground beef fryed with onions and garlic. I put a dab of dried mustard in and just a dab of BBQ sauce and a tad of ground corriander. Then chopped up some tomatoe, green onions and shredded some cheddar cheese. I put some ground mixture in big leaves of iceberg lettuce, added a spoonful of the toms, onions, cheese and then rolled them up. Yum. I'm thinking I could also make this into a taco too (without the tortilla).

Cherio,
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Apr-18-01, 10:00

BF:
Default Yikes!!!!

Quote: "I made some lettuce wraps last night (out of my head)..." Eeeek!!!!

Just kidding, Debaroo! Actually, your recipie sounds yumacious!

Rachel
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Apr-18-01, 10:53
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Lightbulb lettuce rolls/wraps

Actually, Deb and Rachel, lettuce makes great springroll wrappers too. Use the softer leaf-type lettuces. Cook up your favourite eggroll or springroll filling - lamb or pork, mushrooms, sprouts, scallions, ginger, etc - roll up tightly in the lettuce, then eat with your fingers with this dipping sauce -

Spicy Dipping Sauce

1 large clove garlic
1 or 2 small red chilies, seeded
2 tsp granular Splenda (or 1 tsp each Splenda and brown SugarTwin)
juice of half a lime
4 Tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp tamarind paste (if you don't have it, use the whole lime's juice)
====================
- blend everything in blender or food processor.
- makes 1/2 cup, about 5 carbs total .... this is STRONG, a little goes a long way. 1/2 cup is enough for 4 servings ... so just over 1 carb per.

Doreen
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Apr-19-01, 11:57
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/150/130
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi Debaroo!!

I read the Fit for Life Book and tried the diet a few times... unfortunately all the fruit gave me violent stomache cramps, and because of the insulin reaction I was always starving. Even though my calories were pretty low I actually gained weight. No comparison to this woe: I feel fit, and strong and specially no pain for me!!!!

Anyway I do believe that first hand experience is the best kind, also because each body is different...

So good luck
Silvia