Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-19, 07:08

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%
Default Brain Health & Omega 3s: it’s the inflammation!

I have gotten serious about Omega 3s, and right now I’m taking fish oil supplements to combat brain inflammation. This is getting to be a known source of mood disorders, fatigue, and other things we don’t want.

In my case, stress led to disordered cortisol, which got out of whack and began triggering inflammation instead of soothing it. Stress is definitely a factor in violence, as in this study reported on yesterday:

Australian Prisons Are Sedating Inmates With Fish Oil

This new study is based on two prior:

Quote:
The 2002 trial, conducted on 231 prison inmates found that those who took an array of multivitamins — including omega-3 supplements — committed 35.1 percent fewer violent incidents after two weeks of a supplement regimen. The 2003 trial also on 231 inmates noted a 26-percent decrease in “antisocial behavior resulting in disciplinary action” after supplement regimens began.

Both of these trials received funding from Natural Justice, a charitable organization dedicated to advancing scientific research on nutrition and human behavior. The supplements for both trials were also provided by the same two companies: Scotia Pharmaceuticals and Unigred Ltd. However, it’s important to note that, especially the 2002 study has been lauded for its rigorous design.

So many of us report better moods after low carbing. A serious paper two years ago, Depression and Inflammation: Disentangling a Clear Yet Complex and Multifaceted Link, shows that mainstream medicine is just beginning to catch on:

Quote:
While it is unlikely that Major Depressive Disorder (MDD) is a primary and pure ‘inflammatory’ disease, evidence is accumulating to show that depression and inflammation are closely connected and may fuel each other. Specifically: 1) patients with inflammatory diseases are more likely to show greater rates of MDD; 2) a large number (approximately one-third) of people with major depression show elevated peripheral inflammatory biomarkers, even in the absence of a medical illness, and 3) patients treated with cytokines (i.e. for chronic infective hepatitis) are at increased risk of developing depression. Indeed, inflammatory mediators have been found to alter glutamate and monoamine neurotransmission, glucocorticoid receptor resistance and hippocampal neurogenesis. Also, inflammation is able to alter brain signalling patterns, to affect cognition and to contribute to the production of a pattern of symptoms, clustering in a syndrome named ‘sickness behaviour’ and closely related to depression. Moreover, it is becoming increasingly clear that inflammation may increase the complexity and severity of illness presentation, as well as treatment response, at least among a subpopulation of individuals with MDD.

Prior to beginning a ketogenic diet, I was supplementing with neurotransmitters like pregnenolone, GABA, niacin, and L-theanine with good results. However, I have cut back on these because I don’t need them as much. I think all the meat and fish I’m eating is providing them for me, now.

I have long been skeptical of the wide-spread use of SSRIs because I know so many people who struggle with side effects even when they do work: and when they don’t, a long and arduous taper schedule. I think science can do better.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-19, 10:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/143/125 Female 63
BF:33.2/28.7%/24%
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I have gotten serious about Omega 3s, and right now I’m taking fish oil supplements to combat brain inflammation. This is getting to be a known source of mood disorders, fatigue, and other things we don’t want.

In my case, stress led to disordered cortisol, which got out of whack and began triggering inflammation instead of soothing it. Stress is definitely a factor in violence, as in this study reported on yesterday:

Australian Prisons Are Sedating Inmates With Fish Oil

This new study is based on two prior:

So many of us report better moods after low carbing. A serious paper two years ago, Depression and Inflammation: Disentangling a Clear Yet Complex and Multifaceted Link, shows that mainstream medicine is just beginning to catch on:

Prior to beginning a ketogenic diet, I was supplementing with neurotransmitters like pregnenolone, GABA, niacin, and L-theanine with good results. However, I have cut back on these because I don’t need them as much. I think all the meat and fish I’m eating is providing them for me, now.

I have long been skeptical of the wide-spread use of SSRIs because I know so many people who struggle with side effects even when they do work: and when they don’t, a long and arduous taper schedule. I think science can do better.

I’m reading Grain Brain by Dr. David Perlmutter (2018) and it is a great book. He talks in depth about inflammation. A very good book.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-19, 10:44

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCer4Life
I’m reading Grain Brain by Dr. David Perlmutter (2018) and it is a great book. He talks in depth about inflammation. A very good book.

Yes, it is, and has informed me so much about brain health. In fact you have inspired me to read it again.