Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 07:41
Registered Member

Plan: Ketogenic diet
Stats: 209/202/180
BF:18%
Progress: 24%
Unhappy I cant understand ketosis ?

What i can see about this diet is that the main goal is to reach ketosis, i am on my 4 attempt at this diet, i messed up a couple of times too and regain all of the weight i add lost.

Also suffering from a lower back pain i havent exacly been able to train to make this diet work, usually aerobics on the morning and some weight training in the evening so i can get all the glycogen out of my body.

Right now i am using swimming its all i can use for now til my back is ok.

Getting in ketosis was fairly easy, swimming studies show that it can get you in ketosis real fast.

I do count calories start weight 212 pounds after 8 days and a carb-up i am back at 208 pounds.

I eat 2000 calories a day splitted in 3 meals, i eat more fat the protein to make sure that i dont produce glycogen by eating to much protein. Not eating more then 10g of carbs, i dont eat no veggies either and no diet sodas.

I make sure to drink 3 cups of green tea a day and take a fatburner 1-2 times a day.

I am quit confused about that whole ketosis thing and the body feeding on our fatstorage.

But how accurate is that, i have been on ketosis for 5 straight days but i have lost only 3 pounds?

How important is it to be in ketosis ?, i do think this diet is working because my girlfriend says that my stomach and lovehandles really shrunk, but still i remain in at 208 pounds.

By reading a lot of post on this website i can see a lot of people are having the same problem has i am?

I guess my question would be how improtant is it to be in ketosis?

And my conlusion would be that i dont think any diet can be successful without exercices.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 07:47
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Glycemic Load
Stats: 232.8/227.6/145 Female 5'5"
BF:49%
Progress: 6%

Since ketones are the byproduct of burning fat, I'd say ketosis is very important. I'm not sure where you are having a problem. You've lost 3 pounds in 5 days and apparently you are losing inches (love handles) too. Are you concerned that your lack of exercise will keep you from achieving ketosis? Walking will use up your glycogen stores too. I read somewhere that it takes 30-45 minutes of brisk walking to do that. Also, you won't be storing as much glycogen since you have cut the carbs it is made from.
Sounds to me like you are doing TERRIFIC.

Have a great day,
Mary
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 15:09

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Hi Yannick

It sounds as if you are doing OK. Being in ketosis just means that your body is burning fat rather than sugar for its fuel. The fat comes from both your food and your own fat stores.

You look as if you are having the right amount of calories, 2000 a day and you are having 10 carbs a day. I'd up them slightly so that they are nearer 20. Less is not better here and you should be eating vegetables. They are very important on this way of life, so have a salad a day and also brocolli, mushrooms or some other low carb vegetable.

Once you have lost weight in the first couple of weeks then it is only possible to loose one or two pounds a week as you have to use 3,500 calories to get rid of a pound of fat. Exercise will help, but eating right is more important and there are plenty of people who lose weight without exercise. Excercise in the water is great. I do aqua aerobics every Saturday.

Keep the faith with this way of life. You have been told that it looks as if the weight is coming off, so just hang on in there. There is no instant answer, however much we would all like one.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 22:40
Registered Member

Plan: Ketogenic diet
Stats: 209/202/180
BF:18%
Progress: 24%
Talking Thank you very much for your reply

Thank you ok now i can understand why ketosis is that important.

One thing is that i do carb-up on weekends but still walking will be on my list of exercice, i can walk and have no pains in the back.

Tomorrow i am going to another session of osteopathy, the women that is doing my treatments doesnt want me to exercice for at least a week after the treatment so i dont reinjure myself.

Lets hope for the best, i miss training with weights so much, i injured my pelvic last year and will probably never use the big power moves in did but if i can at least train with machines they are very safe.

THe gym that i go to right now has a good serie of machine and your lower back is always very well supported.

Ok thank you very much for the replies , tomorrow will be 150% no cheating and i will try to hit ketosis by Wedesday if i can.