Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 13:53
Registered Member

Plan: modified Atkins / Protein Power
Stats: 253/206/170 Female 5 foot 3.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%
Question Pregnancy - Ketosis - WHY NOT??

Why is ketosis bad for pregnancy?? I am hoping to start the longest thread on here and pick brains of all you mommas havin' bebes.

I currently have lost 33 pounds in the past 11 weeks on this wonderful WOE and after the next 30 pounds we are going to try and conceive our third and final baby.

Problem? I might be pregnant right now... lol (which is fine, we're ready)

Question? Why are 'ketones' bad for the baby??? I have read and read and read and read every single article, website, and post about pregnancy and ketosis.... the end result all I know is "Tsk tsk tsk.. stay out of ketosis... and up carbs so you're not spilling ketones...."

WHY???? NO ONE HAS SAID WHY??

Yes, I think I came across ONE study where some children were tested at kindergarten age and the ones whose mother's were in ketosis while carrying had lower test scores... in KINDERGARTEN!

This was not a low carb study, but rather a study on starvation.

Were these mothers following a HEALTHY low carb diet? NO
Were they in monitored ketosis on purpose? Probably not
Could they have been smoking crack and that's why they weren't eating right? Yes (it said nothing like that was controlled)

Are pregnant women that are NOT low carbing in ketosis OFTEN during pregnancy anyway?? YES, during morning sickness when they can't hold anything down. I'm sure they are.

And, then there's the Eskimos... I have read, too, that they are constantly in ketosis and using protein and fat for fuel because they have NO carbs where they are.... are Eskimoe babies brain damaged?? I should think not.

WHEW, can you tell I'm frustrated?? I just want someone to say "HEY, I was in ketosis and HERE"s what happened to my poor child" and then I won't even consider it, but no one is there to say that.

AAAARGH, please, help !

Thanks a ton,

Kitten

Last edited by KittenSynn : Wed, Aug-13-03 at 13:06.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 14:06
100% pork rind free

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 215/182.5/180 Female 5 ' 10 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Not a doctor, but I was just pregnant.

I don't think it's the ketosis itself so much as the fact that, while you're in ketosis, you're burning off fat and losing weight. Pregnancy is not the time to be losing weight. Even very overweight people are still advised to gain while pregnant (although they are told to keep the gain down, like 15 lbs. instead of the average 25-35). Your baby needs your fat stores. The baby also needs you to eat a healthy, nutrient-rich, varied diet. It seems to me that Atkins maintenance (with maybe a few added things like milk) would be perfect for this.

I ate like a pig in an ice cream shop <grin> for most of my pregnancy. I tried to eat "healthy" foods, but I didn't stop myself from eating a bunch of crap as well. I gained 42 lbs. My doctor told me that the pregnancy itself (baby, extra blood, extra breast tissue, etc.) weighs 26 lbs. on average. Anything you gain on top of that is just fat. Sure enough, I lost exactly 26 lbs. practically in the delivery room (okay, it was really within 3 weeks of birth). Now I'm here to take care of the rest.

I'm telling you this because I'd wager that if you followed a maintenance-level, healthy low-carb plan during your pregnancy your gain would be right around 26 lbs. That would make your post-partum rebound much easier than most people's.

My $0.02, sorry if it was too long.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 14:51
Registered Member

BF:

Yes, I agree with everything you have said, thank you. But, I was 190 when I got pregnant with my last son and my doctor DID tell me to NOT gain any weight!!! Not even the 26 lbs. So, essentially he was telling me to lose weight... because after delivery I would have been less.

To his dismay I gained 14 lbs... (I only gained 15 with my first child) and lost it immediately after the pregnancy. I gained all of my weight (a hefty 253) eating constantly AFTER the birth of both of my children . I didn't find this WOL until 11 weeks ago.

I am genuinely thinking that my diet now is WAY healthier (with supplements) than most pregnant women not on this WOL eat.

I would still love to hear answers to my specific "What happens if" questions. I ALSO WANNA HEAR FROM ALL YOU MOMMAS WHO STAYED IN KETOSIS... I KNOW YOU'RE OUT THERE! LOL

Thanks for your .02 cents though!

Last edited by KittenSynn : Tue, Aug-12-03 at 17:38.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 17:17

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 193/162.5/145 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default I'm very interested

I don't have any answers, BUT......... I am interested to find out about this thread. I gained approximately 75 pounds during my first pregnancy. I think I learned my lesson. We are planning to try for another baby this spring, and I definately don't want to gain weight like that again. I plan on following a maintenace version of Atkins, but would be interested to know if ketosis really puts the baby in any danger. I'll be checking back to see what any of you have to suggest.

Julie
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 20:17
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

From what I've read in Atkins, there havn't been enough studies to prove weather keotenes are dangerous for a baby or not, but he belives it is better to error on the side of caution then to have a baby with possible birth defects that could of been prevented.

Another thing to consider is your fat stores are just that, fat. You're body has already processed out all the nutrients and used many of the essential things, then has taken some of the fatty acids or what ever and placed it in fat cells for storage. When pregnant you only need an extra 200 calories a day, but you need a lot more protien and vitamins. Not all nutrients can be gained from suppliments as many things can not be processed in the lab, and the body absorbes nutrients better from foods. It makes much more sense to have every bite you eat to be as nutrrient rich as possible, though there will be slipups as those darn pregnancy hormones take over. You yourself will also need the energy as pregnancy is very stressful on the body and tiring.

Pregnancy lasts only 9 months. It is a special time, and normal to gain some weight. You then have many many years to take that weight off. If you have only gained a healthy amount, then it will come of fairly rapidly. Experimenting or trying to continue a weight loss program can have devistating effects that you and that child will have to live with for the rest of your lives. Can you be the one to explain to him or her why they have a certain problem and that it was trying not to gain weight?

Find out for sure if your pregnant, then relax and go on maintanance. Enjoy fruits and other healthy foods that are slightly higher in carbs. Maintain an exercise program that keeps you fit and full of energy while pregnant. Then once the baby is born you will still be in somewhat good shape from keeping up the program and can continue with it easily and stick to the healthy eating habits you've cultivated, and get back to prepregnancy weight or better in no time.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 20:23

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 138/115/115 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

dont know where i read it but it said that ketosis in pregnancy can cause neurological problems in the baby. called my sis a couple days ago to tell her...she's pregnant and into locarb. she keeps it around 100 a day and feels great and is doing great. just doesnt eat any junk...wish i could remember where i read that....
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 21:09
Registered Member

BF:

Yes, Kay3osu, I too have read that everywhere on the net! On a few sites... only in posts by people like you and I. And on sites like about diabetics, etc. No site offers a single statistic that says "This has happened to ONE child" or anything!! Sure wish I knew, heck I'd call the labs and let them study on me if it were monitored and helped with other people wanting to know these things.

I have done the figuring on my fertility and I don't think I'm pregnant, I think it was just a scare. But, I am STILL wanting to know the answers.

I do know that pregnancy is only 9 months, but I have been heavy for 10 years and now that I've found an answer, I am not going to quit. UNLESS someone can tell me a reason why. So far I have not found a reason why. Just cause "DANDR says it's not a good idea" or "I've heard it is not good" . . .

I need to know what you all think of "Eskimoes" and mothers that have morning sickness. . . are they not in ketosis?

If only one person came forward and said " I was in ketosis and lost weight while pregnant and my child has a learning disability/brain damage/neurological damage/six fingers/a hair out of place" then I would be satisfied....

But, nowhere have I found any of this.

I am still hunting..... keep 'em coming I LOVE hearing everyone's two cents. Thanks
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 23:45
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 93.6/94.32/68
BF:
Progress: -3%

This may mean nothing......but there are two kinds of kytosis is there? One is bad say people fasting, etc and then there's the LC one which Dr A said is good because we are buring fat and not muscle.

I would imagine that if you are overweight then your baby would still have lots of you to use up.

Have you also considered the vitamins and minerals you are taking and whether thay are all safe during pregnancy.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 12:10
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Ketones per se aren't harmful to a growing fetus; in fact ketone production is greatly increased during pregnancy to support the rapid growth of the fetus and placenta even when the mother is consuming a high-carb diet. Rapidly growing muscle cells use ketones preferentially for energy. And if you stop to think about it, Inuit women .. and other cultures where the traditional diet is minimal carbs .. have been having healthy babies for eons.

The problem with mom eating an intentionally ketogenic diet is that ketosis is notorious for appetite suppression .. and as a previous poster stated, you need to keep your calories up --- well above your own metabolic threshold (ie, starvation mode). Plus (not that I wish this to happen to anybody) morning sickness can lead to hypoglycemia that would be compounded by ketosis, which isn't a good thing for mother OR baby.

There's no need to eat 60% carbs like the food pyramid gang pushes ... but certainly maintenance level around 80g a day give or take should keep baby healthy, and prevent excessive weight gain for you.

Just a note about ketosis and breastfeeding ... although I've read that some women resume strict low-carbing soon after delivery, I've also seen where some women found that baby rejected their milk because ketones changed the taste.

Doreen
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 12:16
empress of fashion

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

The fact that your doctor did not tell you to gain weight last time does not imply you should lose.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 12:24
Registered Member

BF:

Doreen, I am always pleased to see your replies, you are so knowledgable.

Iowa... I feel that by saying, "Don't gain" he is essentially saying 'lose' because any woman that is carrying child gains on average 26 lbs, then after delivery about that much is gone. Which did happen to me... I gained 14, lost 26 in a week after delivery, essentially losing 12 pounds!! .... lost body fat and mass becuase not gaining a lb on the scale would equal me losing weight and baby gaining.

I STRONGLY (correct me if I'm wrong Doreen) feel that the baby gets what it needs first and if I were lacking in any one area of nutrition I would feel the effects (rather than the baby first).

Doreen had mentioned upping "caloric" intake (right now I am at 2000-2500) and I'm wondering if I can successfully do that without raising carbs? Any thoughts? I think I could would that be wise?

I look back on my high-carb/low-protein WOL prior to this and the only thing I see myself eating before are as follows:

Cereal - fruity pebbles, frosted flakes, and cap'n crunch

milk - I get calcium from supplements and cheese

white bread with sandwiches - I still eat meat and cheese and mayo, just no bread

and Hamburger Helper, Mac N Cheese, and other Pasta and Rice meals...

THAT'S IT!!! I'm NOT joking, that was pretty much my diet.... what possibly could I have been gaining (or could I gain adding those things back in).

Yes, I'm sure you'll say "Add whole grains, fruit, etc." to up carbs, BUT if I wasn't eating them with my first two succesful healthy pregnancies... then the way I am eating NOW is obviously healthier... right?

So frustrated...... grrrr lol

I love the thoughts ladies, keep 'em coming!

Kitten
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 12:37
empress of fashion

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Your body will not sacrifice itself for the baby. If your diet is deficient you will both suffer. No woman ever went through a pregnancy losing weight and then delivering a healthy child.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 12:48
100% pork rind free

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 215/182.5/180 Female 5 ' 10 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Hi Kitten,
First off, sorry that I told you a bunch of stuff that you already knew. Thank you for responding so tactfullly.

If your doctor told you not to gain at all, then I think your reasoning (essentially you lost weight) is correct. I've just never heard of that before. I can't imagine not gaining while pregnant. Is such a thing possible??

Certainly your diet now is healthier than the high-carb one you described. And yes, the baby takes what it needs first. My doctor told me that if I didn't consume enough calcium the baby would pull it from my bones and teeth. Your body is very efficient at getting the baby what it needs, even if you end up worse off afterward.

The point about the Eskimo/Inuit women is a valid one. I don't know enough to really comment on that, but it's intriguing.

There have got to be Atkins-friendly physicians out there who could answer your question. I know that LC eating is not popular with the medical community at large, but Dr. Atkins couldn't have been its only champion. Good luck and let us know what you find out!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 13:23
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile

Actually, I didn't mention "upping calories" ... but I did state it's important to ensure that your caloric intake doesn't drop too low You need to stay above (your metabolic threshold + 200 to 300 calories for baby). Metabolic threshold refers to the level at which your body will slow its metabolism (ie, starvation mode) in response to decreased energy coming in. It's different from person to person of course, but averages 1200 calories per day for women. So, you don't want to ever go below 1400 - 1500 calories a day during pregnancy for an extended period of time.

Kitten, you might be encouraged to read these articles written by Valerie Berkowitz ... she's one of the nutrition directors at the Atkins Center, and she followed maintenance level of carbs (70 - 90g per day) through her pregnancy .. with twins
A Mother-to-Be Does Atkins .. includes a sample menu

Vitanutrients for Pregnancy .. which isn't just about supplements. She also discusses proteins, fats and other nutrients.

Maybe there's some inspiration and ideas there for you

Doreen
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 15:21
Registered Member

BF:

Doreen thanks for the links ~ I wonder if Ms. Berkowitz was in ketosis at that level of carbs?? My best friend is doing 30 a day and nursing right now (and has been for the past year) and is a La Leche League leader and is doing wonderful, no problems nursing. She said during her pregnancy, she upped her carbs to 100-120 and was STILL in ketosis!

Makes me wonder how many "LC"ers doing "maintenance" type levels are/were actually in ketosis... hmmmm