Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-01, 08:26

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 220/203/186 Female 5 ft 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Ketosis? What ketosis?

I've been following induction very strictly, have about 4 stone to lose, am on day 5 and feel like my blood sugar is on the floor. Weak, heady, faint, tearful, little appetite. Not craving carbs at all. Still the sticks are a pale, pale pink. Don't feel depressed, but I know I need to trigger deep ketosis to get started on this WOE. What more can I do? Is this common? When can I expect to trigger it? How long will I have to wait in this weakened state? I dont' want to have any more carbs cos I know it will just slow the process down. Any advice?
Lastchance
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-01, 09:14
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Give it time! You are experiencing what everyone on induction experiences.

If you're drinking enough water, your stix may never go above pale pink.

Why don't you post what youve been eating?

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-01, 09:24

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default ketostix

Don't throw in the towel just yet. My ketostix never went above trace my first week, however I lost 8 lbs (and a total of 3 inches since then). I was drinking over 100 oz of water. Dark purple is usually an idication of not drinking enough water.

If you're feeling fatigued and weak it may be a sign you're not getting your vitamines and minerals? are you taking supplements? There have been numerous discussions on the topic, here's one that may help http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=16014

Good luck!

Nat
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-01, 09:34
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

I agree with the above. Supplements are important. But then again so is real food. Are you eating ENOUGH?? If you are feeling hungry and faint, then EAT. Eat some protein with a little fat ... cold leftover meats or chicken dipped in mayonnaise or mustard, a piece of cheese or a few nuts (watch the carbs). So many folks eradicate all the carbs from their diet, and don't replace them with anything. The body thinks it's starving .... which it is.... and weight loss stops as your cells cling to every ounce for dear life!!

On the subject of supplements, Calcium, Magnesium and Potassium, check out this discussion - http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=14993

About ketosis, don't fret over those darn sticks! It may very well be that your body is burning all the ketones your liver produces, therefore none are leftover to spill into the urine. Click on Tips on the red menu bar. Read the article Ketones and Ketone Test Strips .. that should answer questions you may have.

Do write out a day or two worth of what you're eating ... and write everything, including oil on your salad, and if you cook your eggs in butter or a dry non-stick pan ..... etc, etc ....

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-01, 09:39

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 220/203/186 Female 5 ft 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Thanks

Thanks both. I was indeed of little faith. If only I'd waited a little longer! Since then, sticks turning darker pink. Still feeling a little bit wierd and floaty but not really weak. A colleague at work is bringing in a finger-tip tester for blood sugar she uses for her diabetic son. Then I'll know how I'm doing on that score and whether my body is releasing enough sugar from my fat. I presume my blood sugar level should be getting to normal level now?
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-01, 10:48

Plan: i dunno
Stats: 180/175/145
BF:
Progress:
Default can't find the article

i can't find this article...

Ketones and Ketone Test Strips

anywhere on the site.

url please? thanks much!

robin
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-01, 10:56
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

At the top of every single page of the message forums, you will see a red menu bar, with the following : Home ... About .. Shopping .. Karen .. Recipes ... Tips ... Stories ... Studies ... Books ... Tools ... Forum.

The Ketones article is on the Tips page .. ... Do explore the other pages too, there's plenty to see and do on the whole site.

The menu bar will look a bit different on the non-forum pages of our website, but clicking on the headers will take you to the same pages.

hope this helps

Doreen
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-26-01, 18:18

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/125/120
BF:
Progress:

hello everyone!
i had a question about ketostix and for those of you who might be using a blood glucose meter to monitor your blood levels. If your ketostix say that youre in ketosis what would that reflect in your reading from your glucometer? what average number would that be?