Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-31-02, 17:02

Plan: Neanderthin
Stats: 160/156/160
BF:
Progress:
Default Paleo book vs Neanderthin!

I have both and I would say that the smaller Neanderthin book seemed on the money. I got Paleo Diet first and thought, man this is a great book, and it is, but there is some stuff in there that I don't agree on. For instance, the author states Canola Oil is like the second or third best oil to use. I read a study on Canola Oil and that stuff is dangerous. Not intended to be injested by the human body. I'll try and post the link.

Seems like everyone so far agrees that the Neanderthin book is by far the better of the two. Even though Cordain does go into some good detail about how grains and stuff cause all these diseases. I would defenitely read both but follow Neanderthin. Stick to Flaxseed and Olive oil and keep carbs to a minimum.

any one else have a comment on the two books. Just so the new guys that don't have a clue can get some insight. Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 17:37

Stats: 269/176/165 Male 68"
BF:55+%/23%/15%
Progress: 89%
Unhappy Not so on the Canola!!!

I thought the same thing from all of the hype I had read on the Internet, some time ago. It isn't true what they are saying. Canola IS good for you...one of the best. Whoever started that awful rumor about Rape Seed and Castor Beans, etc., must have an ax to grind with the Conola people. It's patently false and wrong. I don't eat Canola because I happen to think that Extra Virgin Olive oil is better for me, but you shouldn't cook with it! It breaks down into dangerous free radicals very fast with cooking, as do many of the other oils...except...you got it!...PALM OIL!!! Palm Oil, the one we've heard all of the bad press on in the movie theaters, is the best oil to cook with because it is the most stable oil out there with cooking. It doesn't put nearly as many of those dangerous cancer-causing free radicals in the air for us to breath. Go figure.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 22:44

Stats: 160/156/160
BF:
Progress:

really? Man, now I don't know what to think!!!! I think I'll have to put up a Canola thread! Thanks for your input.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 14:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 174/163/163 Male 5 feet 7 inches
BF:21.1%/18.5%/18.5%
Progress: 100%
Default Flax

I've read that men should avoid flax seeds in all forms because they can promote prostate cancer. I think the Eadeses write this in PPLP.

Sheldon
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-12-02, 14:52

Unhappy Great, now no Flax seeds, too?

Well, I'm bummed about the flax seeds. I have been eating them thinking I was being a healthy-kind-a-guy! I don't emember reading that in the Eades's book (?)...but, then I'm old and losing my memory faster each day...
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-12-02, 15:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 174/163/163 Male 5 feet 7 inches
BF:21.1%/18.5%/18.5%
Progress: 100%

So eat sardines!

Sheldon
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-12-02, 15:28

Talking Yep! I am so full of them I float...

I eat so many kippered snacks and sardines, I think I might swim on outta here, tonight, so I guess I don't have to have Flax...I just like it, that's all. But, what price is too high for my good health and living longer and hiking in the mountains, and seeing my grandchildren grow up, and...and...???
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-03, 00:16

Plan: my own
Stats: 149/150/130 Female 159cm
BF:30%/27%/18%
Progress: -5%

Looking on the protein power website recently I recalled reading that the Eades have rebuked their own comments on flax and now consider it a healthy, beneficial source of fats.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 13:35

Plan: low cal/low carb
Stats: 235.0/215.4/165 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 28%

Hi all,

The comment that olive oil breaks down into dangerous free radicals when cooked really troubled me. I hadn't heard that before and I cook EVERYTHING in olive oil. Where can I get more information about this? Now I'm worried.

Thanks,
Kypraia
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 15:30

Talking Olive Oil for Cooking!!!!???

I think you might find it in a number of books but I read it most recently in Ray Audette's book, Neanderthin. I'm sure I read all about it a number of years ago in Durk Pearson's and Sandy Shaw's book on Life Extension , also. Now, there is a book that will open your eyes!

There are a number of oil sites available on the internet, also. That is where I found that Canola Oil is still good for you...and good to cook with...after I had read the old internet saw about it being made from rape seed and the relatives of Castor Beans, etc. and how the Canadians were trying to sell us a bill of goods...all baloney, as it turns out. Still the best, though, is good old palm oil...one of the most stable of all the organic oils. Eat salad dressing made from extra virgin olive oil and cook with palm oil...that's what I've heard most-recently.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 05:57

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

cold pressed grapeseed oil also takes the heat pretty well. Not as well as palm oil or lard, but acceptable if you are only lightly sauteeing. I agree about the olive oil. Besides, it doesn't taste good heated. I prefer using real lard, actually, or ghee (yes, I know that is a milk derived product, but it is also pure fat)

Last edited by kjturner : Thu, Mar-13-03 at 05:58.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 16:36

Talking Eat whatever!!!

There are so many things that are good or bad for us...depending on who said it, it's kinda cofusin'. Palm Oil, grapeseed oil, rape seed oil, canola oil...go for the one that suits your fancy...just don't cook with olive oil, or polyunsaturated oil, or soy oil...ooooooo. BAD!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 19:44

Plan: Sugarbusters
Stats: 215/155/145 Male 66"
BF:
Progress: 86%

I'm intrigued. I just finished Eat Fat Get Thin and have ordered Neanderthin. I liked Groves' book.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 16:00
Registered Member

Stats: 250/243.8/121
BF:
Progress: 5%

Here in the UK canola oil comes under the name of rapeseed oil. I'm abit confused too now after thinking for so long how canola was bad for us. Also finding it hard to believe that palm oil is good, its that cheap yukky stuff? Would'nt virgin coconut oil be 100 times preferable and more stable, never goes rancid etc etc?

Flaxseed has long had a bad press IF YOU LOOKED FOR IT in research papers etc. But even Leslie Kenton says towards the back of her X Factor book (after extolling its virtues elsewhere) that SOME people find it hard to metabolise (!!!)

I started off thinking how odd that olive oil was supposed to be the best fat to cook with (I'm mediterranean and never have I known anyone to cook with the stuff on the other hand we did use yukky marg on bread and thick disgusting rationed oil (yes with ration books in the 60s and 70s LOL) to cook with so I stand with you all on this...

...go figure!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 18:38
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo/ NEANDERTHIN
Stats: 175/161/168
BF:4%
Progress: 200%
Cool Paleo books.....

Hey, I'm new here on this board....I love it so far. I have been in the Military my entire adult life (Marines for 15 years and now in the Army) and in that time I have been into running, bodybuilding, and boxing to name a few. I still work out with weights and do crazy things like walk 6 -18 miles with an 80lb. backpack. I used to follow the high carb/ultra low-fat diet that all the so called "experts" was so good for us.....naturally I rejected the new low-carb diets. Then one day, I started researching the subject (Adkins, Protein Power, etc.) and it made alot of sense. I've been doing low carb for a month now and so far, I love it. I've lost some strenght in the gym but my endurance is fantastic! I didn't do this to lose weight....I want the health benefits. My bodyfat was already low, but now it is superlow, despite pigging out on high calorie nuts...I mean you can see every vein in my stomach and there's no fat there to pinch. I just bout Neanderthin, Paleo Diet, and Life without Bread....can't wait to read them!