Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone


Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-21, 11:09
Benay's Avatar
Benay Benay is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 777
 
Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/181/165 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 81%
Location: Prescott, Arizona, USA
Default Gout

I have been having severe foot pain - on and off - with swelling and discoloring. Treatment with antibiotics has not stopped it.
Possible diagnosis - gout
I looked up gout on the Mayo Clinic website.
Gout formed by uric acid crystal build up. One food to avoid - red meat especially lamb
Since red meat is my mainstay diet food, I am at a loss.
I do not find fish or chicken satisfying
What am I to do?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-21, 13:01
Gypsybyrd's Avatar
Gypsybyrd Gypsybyrd is offline
I'm good enough!
Posts: 6,705
 
Plan: Atkins '72 It works best!
Stats: 281/234.6/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250
Progress: 46%
Location: St. Pete, Florida
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benay
I have been having severe foot pain - on and off - with swelling and discoloring. Treatment with antibiotics has not stopped it.
Possible diagnosis - gout
I looked up gout on the Mayo Clinic website.
Gout formed by uric acid crystal build up. One food to avoid - red meat especially lamb
Since red meat is my mainstay diet food, I am at a loss.
I do not find fish or chicken satisfying
What am I to do?


Hi!

Check out Dr. Ken Berry's videos on YouTube. He has at least one on gout. I think he says red meat does not cause gout. But watch the video.
Reply With Quote
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-21, 13:30
Nancy LC's Avatar
Nancy LC Nancy LC is offline
Experimenter
Posts: 25,462
 
Plan: Paleo 99.5%
Stats: 210/170/160 Female 67.5"
BF:
Progress: 80%
Location: San Diego, CA
Default

There was someone else here who had gout and I think eventually it went away on LC.
Reply With Quote
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-21, 18:24
deirdra's Avatar
deirdra deirdra is online now
Senior Member
Posts: 4,160
 
Plan: HF/vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%
Location: Alberta
Default

I've had gout occasionally and use unsweetened tart cherry juice concentrate (Dynamic Health brand from a health food store), an old wives' remedy for joint inflammation that actually works for me. And there are medical reasons it should work: https://www.healthline.com/health/cherry-juice-for-gout

It has some carbs, but I only take 1 teaspoon at a time which has 2.5 g carbs. Or 2 tsp for 5g. It also comes in capsules, but I haven't tried them.

Last edited by deirdra : Thu, Apr-08-21 at 18:46.
Reply With Quote
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-21, 20:45
Ms Arielle's Avatar
Ms Arielle Ms Arielle is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 15,423
 
Plan: atkins
Stats: 255/232/200 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 42%
Location: Massachusetts
Default

Are u sure it's gout and not one of the side effects of IR? Ive been learning that swelling in the feet (and other bodily areas) swell a bit. The nerve damage, neropoathy, is a part if the package.

( I've asked my primary for years why the tingling, why the pain ....she doesn't know. My thought is IR)

If you can't get a good diagnosis, then trial and error us just as good.

Hope you find your answers quickly.

https://youtu.be/Swg05Gv0wMU

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Thu, Apr-08-21 at 21:02.
Reply With Quote
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-09-21, 03:13
JEY100's Avatar
JEY100 JEY100 is online now
To Good Health!
Posts: 11,822
 
Plan: P:E/DDF/LC-DrWestman
Stats: 225/157/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/29%/25%
Progress: 121%
Location: NC
Default

If you have an actual diagnosis of gout, then you continue the medication. A ketogenic diet does not cause gout, but you can have a flare as you transition to one. Short video from Dr Westman on gout: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7c_T1zFzXM
Reply With Quote
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-09-21, 03:27
Benay's Avatar
Benay Benay is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 777
 
Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/181/165 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 81%
Location: Prescott, Arizona, USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Are u sure it's gout and not one of the side effects of IR? Ive been learning that swelling in the feet (and other bodily areas) swell a bit. The nerve damage, neropoathy, is a part if the package.

( I've asked my primary for years why the tingling, why the pain ....she doesn't know. My thought is IR)

If you can't get a good diagnosis, then trial and error us just as good.

Hope you find your answers quickly.

https://youtu.be/Swg05Gv0wMU


What is IR?
"Tingling" bears no resemblance to the severe pain of gout.

Last edited by Benay : Fri, Apr-09-21 at 07:40.
Reply With Quote
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-09-21, 03:28
Benay's Avatar
Benay Benay is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 777
 
Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/181/165 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 81%
Location: Prescott, Arizona, USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
If you have an actual diagnosis of gout, then you continue the medication. A ketogenic diet does not cause gout, but you can have a flare as you transition to one. Short video from Dr Westman on gout: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7c_T1zFzXM


Since I have been on low carb for decades, I am not exactly "transitioning"
Thanks for the film clip
Reply With Quote
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-09-21, 03:30
Benay's Avatar
Benay Benay is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 777
 
Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/181/165 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 81%
Location: Prescott, Arizona, USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
I've had gout occasionally and use unsweetened tart cherry juice concentrate (Dynamic Health brand from a health food store), an old wives' remedy for joint inflammation that actually works for me. And there are medical reasons it should work: https://www.healthline.com/health/cherry-juice-for-gout

It has some carbs, but I only take 1 teaspoon at a time which has 2.5 g carbs. Or 2 tsp for 5g. It also comes in capsules, but I haven't tried them.


I will try that Dierdra.
Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-09-21, 06:42
s93uv3h's Avatar
s93uv3h s93uv3h is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 1,651
 
Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default

My wife suffers from it now and then. I keep a few references handy.

Gout: The Missing Chapter from Good Calories, Bad Calories [ Tim Ferriss ]

Gout and low carb
9-21-2018 dietdoctor.com

Gout: Is it Meat, or Metabolic Syndrome?
9-5-2018 [ Amy Berger ]

Got Gout but Love Meat?
2012 Dr. Georgia Ede
Reply With Quote
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Apr-09-21, 07:37
Benay's Avatar
Benay Benay is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 777
 
Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/181/165 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 81%
Location: Prescott, Arizona, USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
My wife suffers from it now and then. I keep a few references handy.

Gout: The Missing Chapter from Good Calories, Bad Calories [ Tim Ferriss ]

Gout and low carb
9-21-2018 dietdoctor.com

Gout: Is it Meat, or Metabolic Syndrome?
9-5-2018 [ Amy Berger ]

Got Gout but Love Meat?
2012 Dr. Georgia Ede


Thank you. Much appreciated
Reply With Quote
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Apr-09-21, 07:45
Benay's Avatar
Benay Benay is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 777
 
Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/181/165 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 81%
Location: Prescott, Arizona, USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
If you have an actual diagnosis of gout, then you continue the medication. A ketogenic diet does not cause gout, but you can have a flare as you transition to one. Short video from Dr Westman on gout: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7c_T1zFzXM


As Westman says don't go binging on seafood and red meat.
I am no fan of chicken or turkey
Reply With Quote
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Apr-11-21, 11:10
dan_rose dan_rose is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 162
 
Plan: None
Stats: 161/140/140 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Location: Loughborough, UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benay
What is IR?


I think it's insulin resistant.
Reply With Quote
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-21, 03:49
Benay's Avatar
Benay Benay is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 777
 
Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/181/165 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 81%
Location: Prescott, Arizona, USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_rose
I think it's insulin resistant.


Thanks, Dan
If IR is "insulin resistant" and some one think this causes the Gout pain, I don't see the connection. And it is not mentioned on any of the sites that discusses gout.

Apparently gout is part of the family of rheumatoid arthritis
Reply With Quote
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-21, 09:36
JEY100's Avatar
JEY100 JEY100 is online now
To Good Health!
Posts: 11,822
 
Plan: P:E/DDF/LC-DrWestman
Stats: 225/157/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/29%/25%
Progress: 121%
Location: NC
Default

Quote:
Insulin and Gout

The story is similar for gout. Gout flares happen when a compound called uric acid builds up in the joints and forms solid crystals. If you or someone you know suffers from gout, then you know it’s very painful.

Typically, healthy kidneys hold on to the right amount of uric acid and filter out the rest—much like they hang on to the right amount of sodium—but high insulin levels cause your kidneys to hold on to more uric acid than normal.

The parallels between sodium, uric acid, kidney function, and your overall health don’t end there. Uric acid comes from the breakdown of something called purines. Purines are nitrogen-containing compounds that your body produces, and they are also found in foods—protein-rich foods, in particular. Certain proteins—such as shellfish, red meat, and organ meats (liver, kidney)—are higher in purines than than others, which is why people who suffer from gout are advised to avoid these foods.

However, red meat and shellfish are among the most nutrient-dense foods in the modern diet. Aside from being great sources of complete protein, they’re loaded with B vitamins, iron, zinc, selenium, and other critical vitamins and minerals. You can get these nutrients from other foods, but red meat and seafood provide them in exceptionally high amounts and in forms your body can absorb more easily than others, and you don’t need to avoid them if you have gout.

If gout flares come from an accumulation of uric acid crystals in your joints, and elevated insulin causes your kidneys to hang on to too much uric acid, then rather than avoiding foods whose breakdown creates uric acid, you might be better served by keeping your insulin level lower. Plus, uric acid doesn’t exist to trigger gout attacks and cause you pain. It’s an antioxidant, so you wouldn’t want to be entirely without uric acid in your body.

Too much is a problem, but you do need some. And “too much” uric acid comes from too much insulin. The truth is, if you have gout, you can enjoy more red meat and seafood—as long as you keep your carbohydrate intake low.


From the Insulin chapter in Dr Eric Westman's new book,
End Your Carb Confusion
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 16:03.


Copyright © 2000-2021 Active Low-Carber Forums @ forum.lowcarber.org
Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.