Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Mar-03-16, 14:20

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekRibs
Thank you for posting this Janet. I passed on to my godchild who has had brain surgery for seizures (she had a lesion on the brain). I noticed the article mentions seizures. She already eats super healthy but the intermittent fasting as a means to control seizures ... wow! Dr. Fung is amazing. He was interviewed on my local CBC radio channel this morning

By super healthy, meaning has she given up grains? Recommend Grain Brain book by Dr. Perlmutter. http://www.drperlmutter.com/tag/seizure/ There are a lot of tumor and epilepsy studies/stories in his archives, so not sure how it would apply to her situation, but think she would be interested in that book too.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-16, 06:40
Registered Member

Plan: Lowish carb/PPLP
Stats: 208/150/145 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Good to see this new thread started.
I've not been on-line much this week, but have been continuing with moderate IF and low carb.

I've had several BG readings in the mid to high 80's several afternoons and this morning my fasting BG was 112. That is the lowest since halving the amount of insulin.

Still struggling with weight loss -- only 2 lbs. in two weeks. But maybe that will improve as well.

I might not post a lot, but I do read.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-16, 08:34

A pound a week is great weight loss when you are so close to goal! And mid-80s? fantastic! forgot, are you working with a doctor on your insulin dose?
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-16, 08:41
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abilene
Good to see this new thread started.
I've not been on-line much this week, but have been continuing with moderate IF and low carb.

I've had several BG readings in the mid to high 80's several afternoons and this morning my fasting BG was 112. That is the lowest since halving the amount of insulin.

Still struggling with weight loss -- only 2 lbs. in two weeks. But maybe that will improve as well.

I might not post a lot, but I do read.

This is great news Abilene!

The weight loss will come, the fact that you're losing anything on insulin is impressive. Once you get off of insulin, you should find weight loss a bit easier. Also remember you're close to goal, and 1lb a week is really good progress.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-16, 10:10

Plan: LCHF, no breakfast.
Stats: 256/178/140 Female 5ft 3"
BF:
Progress: 67%

I've avoided all of Jason Fung's work because I read that IF isn't so good for sugar addicts, because it can make a binge more likely.

However, I'm about 10 weeks into lchf and not having cravings even when buying or dishing up carbs for my husband.

Ordered myself a copy from Amazon, but won't be here for a couple of weeks yet - excited!
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-16, 14:55
Registered Member

Plan: Lowish carb/PPLP
Stats: 208/150/145 Female 64 inches
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
A pound a week is great weight loss when you are so close to goal! And mid-80s? fantastic! forgot, are you working with a doctor on your insulin dose?

Thanks -- I know a pound a week is good, but like everyone else, I want the fat gone NOW!

I'm winging this experiment on my own. Not sure I want to approach this with my doc. Although knowing him, he'd just shrug and tell me not to let my A1c go below 6 <sigh>.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-16, 05:11

You get enough 80s and you will be below 6 in no time both Dr Fung and Dr Davis have given some general guidelines for adjusting dose, suggesting BG a little high rather than risk too low. It's in the archived sheets and on the blog, but not in the book that I remember.

Ronnie, are you eating Now only three meals a day? No snacks is a simple way to start, maybe delaying breakfast if not hungry for it. Just reducing "eating events" and insulin spikes in a day may help binge eating. No need to let yourself get overly hungry.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-16, 07:42

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

https://katch.me/livinlowcarbman/v/...8a-3a2f0a8cff58

A few weeks ago, we were discussing Jimmy Moore's month long fast that he did in January. He got a Dexa scan, before and after, and of 20 pounds lost, the Dexa showed ten pounds lost as fat, ten as lean.

A month later, Jimmy's had another Dexa, he goes into some detail about that in the video above. Long story short--he's regained the ten pounds of lean mass he'd lost--but also the ten pounds of fat.

One factor here is that he didn't work out during the fast, and didn't work out during the one month refeed. It's pretty well established that if you lose lean mass during weight loss, and then do a refeed, exercise will increase the ratio of lean to fat mass that's regained--so I'm not really sure what's learned here. In the Minnesota starvation experiment, with refeeding, fat mass reached pre-starvation levels before lean mass did--and the increase in appetite with refeeding continued until lean mass was recovered, leading to the hypothesis that the fat overshoot that occurred in that study was due to the appetite being driven to restore the lean mass. Which begs the question of whether doing something to increase the rate at which lean mass recovered, like a bit more protein, and weight training, would have averted the fat overshoot.
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-16, 08:01

Plan: LCHF, no breakfast.
Stats: 256/178/140 Female 5ft 3"
BF:
Progress: 67%

Yes JEY100, 3 meals a day, I skip the odd breakfast, or have a fatty coffee for breakfast some days. So I can imagine doing 16 hours fast without too much difficulty. Looking forward to better understanding the hypothesis behind it.
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-16, 08:53

16:8 or 18:6 or 20:4...all accepted versions of "fasting" with their own champions.

The video lecture suggested in the very first post last thread is a good introduction to the reasons he suggested fasting as a solution to insulin resistance. It now has all the lecture notes and slides with it; the last half is about fasting lays out his hypothesis why it is better than LCHF alone. https://intensivedietarymanagement....g-solution.pptx

Then the whole more recent series on fasting, but that would be a major commitment... Part 1 started back in April 2015! https://intensivedietarymanagement....history-part-i/

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Mar-06-16 at 09:01.
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-16, 10:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%

Ronnie, at this point, I do 12:12. When our lifestyle slows down, because Husband can retire, I can easily see that going to 16:8.

But, if I want to have dinner with him, it's around 8 pm, and breakfast is around 8:30.

No lunch needed, on most days, and a small snack around 5. So, in actuality it's 12:9:3:12.

As I don't have BG issues, I'm good with that.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-16, 10:34

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Just finished The Obesity Code last night. I found the book very easy to read, and the advantage over the IDM blog is that everything was presented in a cohesive flow building upon information in a logical order.

When I pre-ordered the book a few months ago, I wondered whether it made sense, as I was prepared to read what has been posted on the IDM blog over the past couple years. As mentioned by others, the book focuses on obesity (go figure with that title!?!, yeah an obvious one here!), and the dynamics regarding the obesity epidemic that has become a global health issue over the past 40+ years. With that focus, the book is organized in six parts: 1) The Epidemic, 2) The Calorie Deception, 3) A New Model of Obesity, 4) The Social Phenomenon of Obesity, 5) What's Wrong with Our Diet?, and 6) The Solution. It also provides three Appendices providing specifics for A) Sample Meal Plans (with Fasting Protocols, B) Fasting: A Practical Guide, C) Meditation and Sleep Hygiene to Reduce Cortisol.

The information is a very thorough treatment of all things related to obesity initially touching on the absence over recent years of nutritional knowledge about how to control obesity and building to the associated health symptoms of metabolic syndrome as a part of the obesity issue. Hormonal control is identified as the primary issue with the need to manage Insulin at the top of the list and Cortisol following.

I'll touch on a couple points that stood out to me: 1) It's insulin, insulin, insulin as obesity is a hormonal problem not a caloric problem. This is not a surprise to the many forum members here, as we discuss this frequently. What's different is the thorough presentation and the solutions provided to manage insulin. 2) The concept that Insulin Resistance changes the body weight set point and the process to change it back to normal.

The section on protein and insulin response was very informative with the continued recommendation to moderate protein consumption. The observation that fasting does not result in lean body mass loss is controversial with many varying views, but Fung states that fasting (purposeful elimination of food during a set time period) compared to starvation (involuntary calorie reduction with no known end) has little impact on lean mass particularly after a few days of fasting when HGH levels increase. I realize this has been an active discussion here and elsewhere.

The other observation is the recommendation to eliminate artificial sweeteners, as they are now known to cause insulin spikes and have the ability to cause insulin release even before the food reaches the stomach. Included are several "naturally occurring" sweeteners including stevia, which while having minimal effect on blood sugars is identified along with aspartame as resulting in raised insulin levels "higher even than table sugar." This got my attention.

In summary, I'm adding this book to my library of books that are excellent guides to managing health through healthy eating. The section on timing of meals and fasting is unique in that while I currently have several books that I'll continue to reference, the combination of meal timing and nutritional recommendations is new. If someone asks for a good book on a healthy nutritional approach with the context of history, biology, and sound solutions, I would recommend The Obesity Code. Dr. Fung has a winner here.

Last edited by GRB5111 : Mon, Mar-07-16 at 11:13.
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-16, 11:03
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Rob.
What a great review! I will now purchase the book.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-16, 11:57

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

thanks Rob! I still have only skimmed the TOC. I'll have some extra time this week to read it. I'm going to be doing some fasting this week and have entered the start point in my journal. Interestingly highish BG.
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-16, 05:49

Great review Rob! I agree with all of it...sure he would appreciate you posting that on Amazon as a five star review. I keep meaning to do that myself and haven't gotten around to it.