Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-13, 08:14
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Low Carb Diet... think again

I loved this. Tim Noakes letter to runner's world.

Quote:
So the first point is that this is not a diet, it is an eating plan for life – it is a life style. If you wish to lose weight and improve your health by changing your eating for a short time only, then this is not the way to go. Once you go down this eating route, you have to stick with it for life. Because if you start eating this way and successfully lose weight, you will regain that weight and more should you go back to eating the way you did before – that is if you go back to eating the food choices that caused the problem in the first place.

The point is that if you are like me, your metabolism does not work very well when fed too much carbohydrate. And this is not going to change regardless of how much weight you might lose or even how much exercise you might do. For those of us with CR, our metabolism is the problem and if we want to do the best for our bodies then we have to change FOREVER the nature of the foods that we eat. But I argue that this change is much easier than most would ever believe. Unfortunately it is also the advice that many dieticians will be the least likely to give you.

So if you are not ready to make a change that you will continue for the rest of your life, then it is probably best that you do not begin in the first place.

I wish every newbie to the message forum would read this. Shoot, I wish I'd read it about 30 years ago!

Last edited by Nancy LC : Thu, Mar-14-13 at 08:25.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-13, 08:26

Plan: Primal+JUDDD
Stats: 168/163.2/140 Female 5'5''
BF:
Progress: 17%

This is great! thanks for posting this!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-13, 09:00

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

T'is the same with all "diets" - once you go back to how you used to eat, then you're going to go back to how much you used to weigh - simple!

I remember a heart breaking moment, when I was nearing my goal weight and it was drawn to my attention that I could never binge on chocolate, cakes and high carb foods again if I wanted to stay slima nd feel healthy. I did actually slip back a bit a couple of years ago and put weight back on. But, it wasnt just the weight, it was the side effects I had from carbs - IBS, Arthritus, lethargy..... I realised that its better to stick without the bad stuff - lets face it, nowadays there are many low carb options once you hit your goal and you dont feel the same cravings or hunger

Jo xxx
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-13, 09:12

Plan: Atkins, sort of
Stats: 184/166/152 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 56%
Cool

That's so true.

But why does our society make us feel that eating all that stuff is somehow almost our moral duty. If you give up smoking, most people will pat you on the back. If you give up carbs (except veggies of course, which most people don't realise are carbs anyway) they think you're nuts.

Fortunately not everyone...
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-13, 09:21

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

Nancy: Thanks for posting this. It's common sense, but it needs to be remembered during those times when we indulge in magical thinking and convince ourselves the same old foods won't yield the same old results. Could certainly help so many newcomers - a sticky maybe?
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-13, 09:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins 72/Atkins NANY
Stats: 267/162/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress:

Excellent post!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-13, 10:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 216/186/140 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 39%

I second the sticky notion!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-13, 11:00

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulumae
That's so true.

But why does our society make us feel that eating all that stuff is somehow almost our moral duty. If you give up smoking, most people will pat you on the back. If you give up carbs (except veggies of course, which most people don't realise are carbs anyway) they think you're nuts.

Fortunately not everyone...

Good question. I used to think I was well informed about diet and nutrition, kept up with all the "official" low fat, low calorie nonsense. Before I took the plunge to go low carb I actually googled "can human beings live without grains". That's how brainwashed I was into believing they were essential to our survival. So, I guess that's what most people still believe. They think we are nuts and they think we are setting ourselves up for great harm by cutting out an entire 'food group'. Sigh, sigh, sigh!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-13, 12:17
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Not entirely true IMO, with LC + Fasting you can reverse IR and its resultant high blood sugar readings.

An broken metabolism can take a long time to 'fix,' but it also takes a long time to mess it up again. This is one reason IF is so very effective for so many people. My FBS on Atkins used to push 118 now it's always 88 even post eating. I can function on a blood sugar reading of less than 50 without becoming functionally impaired to any great degree. I think that's because I now utilize ketones mainly for energy.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-13, 10:28

Plan: low carb
Stats: 195/174/170 Male 72 inches
BF:22%/15.2%/6 pack!
Progress: 84%

FWIW Tim Noakes is a very widely-respected running author. His book Lore of Running is one of the best encyclopedia-type history of running books I've ever read. It is great to see he is on-board with low card.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-13, 11:17

Plan: Basic LCHF
Stats: 250/180/180 Male 68 inches
BF:38%/14%/14%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
Not entirely true IMO, with LC + Fasting you can reverse IR and its resultant high blood sugar readings.

I wonder if this is true in the way people would read it. Before I cleaned up my diet for maintenance, I could fail an OGTT at will, and my typical bG curve was much closer to a mild T2D than normal.

On LCHF, my b-cells have had time to "catch up", and with a very carefully designed intense exercise program I have a tolerable level of insulin sensitivity. Together, I get a bG curve that is vaguely normal. It is VERY artificial though. I stop the exercise, and go back on sugar, it won't be a week before I'm out of "juice" as it were.

So, I think its wrong to use the word "reverse". If it were reversed, I could stop exercising, eat a bucket of ice cream, and nothing interesting would happen. And that is NOT true, and there's nothing in journal literature to suggest that it ever will be true again for me.

But.... it is enough. I call it "control". I can keep exercising, and I can keep the LCHF diet plan, even if I fail to cravings from time to time; and I suspect as long as I do keep at it, I'll not have the doc explicitly say "D" to me. And that is a Good Thing (tm).
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-13, 18:28
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 285/164/155 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Over 3 years on low carb my A1c went from over 6 to 5.9 to 5.6 to 5.1. When it went from 5.6 to 5.1 I was eating low carb but lost only about 20 pounds. This was a 16 month time period. I believe my beta cells are healing somewhat, because my carb intake is not lower now than it was when my A1c was 5.9.