Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sat, Jan-04-20, 10:33

Plan: Atkins, PP
Stats: 188.4/188.4/132 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

How do these work out with harder cheeses? I am lactose intolerant, so Mozzarella is out for me, Emmental or harder for me.... I am not a sweet fan, so would make them savory anyway
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sun, Jan-05-20, 09:58

Plan: Keto/1972 Atkins
Stats: 238/238/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
Anyhow, I used cheese on the bottom, then poured in most of the egg - only most of it because there was a little too much to fit in there. The bottom was nice and crispy, but the top was still soft.

Next time, I'll try using only half of the scrambled egg per chaffle, with cheese on both the bottom and top, so it doesn't overflow, and hopefully that will make it crispy on both the bottom and top.
I know this post is old, but I, personally, LOVE chaffles! I am a wayward Low carber getting back on track (Hi Janet! I miss The Lab’!).

Chaffles, for me are a game changer. I love oopsie rolls and their versatility, but chaffles fills a LC void for me when I want something quick or that will hold up better. I have made them with the flours but prefer them with just cheese, egg and whatever seasoning you wish.

They make an amazing pizza crust that is husband approved.
To make them crispier, sprinkle a little shredded cheese on the lower waffle iron, pour in the egg and cheese mixture, then sprinkle a little cheese on top of the batter. I find this gives it a definite crunch when cooked. I add cream cheese to the pancake version along with vanilla and a little sweetener when I’m craving something sweet. It doesn’t take much sprinkled on to make it crispy!

These are not an everyday thing as they do use a considerable amount of cheese, but they do make it easy to fix food for the fam and be able to eat the ‘same’ thing without feeling deprived.

I also use a regular waffle iron and just use the triangles as separate chaffles. Makes 4 triangles and that is more than enough for me using the 1 egg and 1/2 cup cheese basic recipe. If I’m making sandwiches, I save half for another meal.

Last edited by Kristine : Sun, Jan-05-20 at 13:00. Reason: Fixing quote tag
  #48   ^
Old Sun, Jan-05-20, 09:59

Plan: Keto/1972 Atkins
Stats: 238/238/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpiano
How do these work out with harder cheeses? I am lactose intolerant, so Mozzarella is out for me, Emmental or harder for me.... I am not a sweet fan, so would make them savory anyway

I don’t know but I would think it would be worth a try!
  #49   ^
Old Sun, Jan-05-20, 10:22

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Dr. Westman recommends this simple 2 ingredient recipe. Watch the video, not much cheese used at all. A light sprinkle of shredded cheddar (and aged cheddar can be rather "hard". ) https://www.ketoconnect.net/keto-chaffles/
  #50   ^
Old Wed, Jan-08-20, 16:32
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpiano
Hi and welcome back! I just tried some with old cheddar, and they worked fine. I did them both ways: shredded cheese on the top and bottom with the scrambled egg in the middle, and then as a batter that I did in my Magic Bullet. As others have mentioned, the former resulted in a crispier crust, but it had too much of a 'burnt egg' taste for me, and I preferred the batter style.

We had another recent chaffle recipe thread here.