Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-05, 11:20
Registered Member

Plan: NHE
Stats: 200/185/220 Male 69 inc
BF:
Progress:
Default zinc/iron/copper balance is a must in thyroid

Let me share a little experiment and the results.
Over the past 3 months I have was told I had a zinc deficiency so I upped intake of zinc to 50 mgs a day and had vitamin C ~ 3000 - 4000 mgs a day (500 mg ~ 6 times a day). I did notice my testosterone levels did come back to normal becuase of the low zinc. Now drs never told me to increase copper intake to offset the increase of zinc and when I got my results back testosterone looked great, but my igf-1 levels dropped (lowered copper), as long as my hdl (too much zinc too little copper), calcium blood levels went up (copper is needed for calcium metabolism not absorption), my white blood cells dropped (lowered copper levels). Now I this was all before thyroid medicine. After looking at the results of my test. It had not dawned on me to a few week days a go that not onl did the extra vitamin C and zinc cause a drop,but also the extra increased iron absorption. Now 4 weeks later after seeing the results I started to experiment thinking I had an iron defieicency so I increased iron intake and felt good for a few days and just took copper in my multivitamin. I started to feel crappy about a week on the iron and I started to notice my hair starting to change to a blue silver color. I called my mom and had her come over to look because I thought I was seeing things and I wasn't. I can tell you that the added copper did help my mind to stop racing and actually brought me back to a world of reality. In the past I would always hear auditory noises like some one saying something but nothing was said (voices in your head so to speak) after adding the copper this all ceased. Now I am thinking since 4 weeks starting armour my ferritin levels are begining to rise becuase I have signs of anemia, but which one I can not know until I get test back. I do know my hair stopped falling out but now it has a grayish tint to it so my thinking is that the rising of the ferritin from the thyroid is causing iron to increase as well as on top of the iron supplements I started and this is preventing copper from being utilized. So when I get ferritin levels test back and they are above a 50 then I will know my iron levels are fine and then its just a matter of raising the copper levels to balance the iron levels out. I believe there is sufficent iron in my body but due to the lack of copper iron storages are not being used which is resulting in iron deficient like symptoms.

I also ran my diet through a data base and to my surprise I was getting outrageous amounts of zinc and very little sources of copper

total supplement and food zinc intake was 100-150 mgs zinc to 1 to 2 grams of copper. Which easily explains blood test results

Another interesting thing I found out is that low carb higher fat intake also depletes on copper levels as well as people taking alot of b complex. Before all this mess happened I went on an anticandida diet thinking I had intestinal infections (which actually i did and this made copper deficiency even worse)
Good new is i think my thyroid (body temp was 98.3 morning is now working but still having anemic symptoms. I also starting to incorporate more liver into my diet and after eating liver I can actually feel my body heat up for a good half hour and no other food does this and liver is high in copper.
here is a site I found very helpful.

http://www.nutritiondata.com/nutrient-search.html

http://members.tripod.com/~charles_W/copperzinc.html
Copper Synergists: 6 mgs for 2 weeks then 4 mgs for 2 weeks
Calcium, potassium, Vitamin E,
meal 2 with 500 mgs calcium no C

Copper Antagonists / Inhibitors:
,Sulfur, molybdenum, zinc, nickel, Vit B6, Vit C,
iodine, Vitamin B12, rutin, sugar, alcohol, fat,chromium, tin, hesperidin, insoluble fiber,

Iron Synergists:
Phosphorus, bismuth, germanium,nickel
manganese, Vitamin A, Vitamin B1, Vitamin C,
folate, niacin, niacinamide, lecithin, protein
inbetween meal 1-2 4-5 2 hour after meal 4

Iron Antagonists:
Zinc, calcium, magnesium, tin, cobalt, Vitamin B2
Vitamin B5, Vitamin B12, Vitamin E, caffeine
insoluble fiber, rice (phytates), tea (tannic acid
soy protein, dairy (casein), oxalic acid, [folate

Zinc Synergists
Magnesium, chromium, cobalt, Vitamin B2, Vit E