Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-08, 13:34
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Your thyroid disease and gluten

Just excerpting the relevant portion
Quote:
Autoimmune Disease & the Gluten Connection

Recently, an elevated level of a human protein called "Zonulin" was found in CD patients. (34) Zonulin is known to cause a hyperpermeable intestinal lining, often called Leaky Gut Syndrome (LGS). LGS allows metabolic and microbial toxins of the small intestines into the blood stream. Zonulin and LGS appears to be a contributing factor in CD as well as other Autoimmune Diseases. Interestingly, Zonulin levels diminish on a GF diet.

According to Dr. Cordain, there is strong data to suggest that the "foreign" antigens, which get into the bloodstream through LGS, may be involved in autoimmune diseases. Through a process called "molecular mimicry," these antigens contain certain amino acid sequences that have the same structural form as a variety of amino acid sequences in our body tissue. The immune system recognizes these large particles as foreign substances and makes antibodies against them, resulting in an autoimmune reaction against the similar body tissue.

This process has been implicated in rheumatoid arthritis from cow's milk. The inflammatory autoimmune reaction occurs in the joints because the amino acids found in human collagen are the same as in the amino acids of bovine albumin in cow's milk. (35) Also, a clinical observation after wheat ingestion of rheumatoid arthritis sufferers is followed within hours by increased joint swelling and pain. (36) The researchers suggest that one of the mechanisms involved is a permeable gastrointestinal tract to antigenic proteins or peptide fragments, derived from digested gluten. Inflammatory arthritis as well as Crohn's disease sufferers have been found to have inflammation of the intestinal tract that results in increased permeability. (37)

The incidence of CD in various autoimmune disorders is increased 10 to 30% in comparison to the general population. (38) Some of the autoimmune diseases associated with CD are Type 1 Diabetes, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Sjogren's Syndrome, Autoimmune Thyroid Disease, and possibly Addison's Disease, Crohn's Disease, Multiple Sclerosis, Thrombocytopenic Purpura, as well as others. Researchers recently found that diabetes and thyroid related antibodies in CD patients disappeared after the patient is put on a GF diet. (39) "These results contradict earlier studies that suggest the presence of organ-specific autoantibodies was due to a second autoimmune disease." They suggest that a GF diet started early may prevent the other autoimmune diseases frequently associated with celiac disease. In fact, it has been shown that the longer someone with CD is exposed to gluten, the higher the prevalence of other associated autoimmune disorders. (40) Funda et al. showed that a GF diet both delayed and to a large extent, prevented diabetes in NOD mice that have never been exposed to gluten. (41) Dr. Edward Hoffenberg suggests, "therefore, gluten may be able to drive the immune system, even outside the gastro-intestinal tract, to cause other diseases that we don't call CD, but may still be gluten derived diseases." (42)

Entire article is here.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-22-08, 03:55
Registered Member

Plan: my own/semi low carb
Stats: 153/151/127 Female 64 inches
BF:u bet!
Progress: 8%

NancyLC
Thanks for the article. The more I read/research about gluten, the more I understand just how much of a dietary villain it is. I am sure it is what triggered thyroid problems in myself, my mom, my sister, and rheumatoid arthritis in grandma and her sisters. The only obvious cases of CD are in my two nieces---since about the age of 2. Recently, I have seen information implicating gluten in gallbladder disease---which also my mother and I have. I am hoping that by going gluten-free (not just what goes in me but on my skin as well) will eventually reverse some of the physical problems---maybe I won't need to have the gallbladder removed---and not be on thyroid and/or gallbladder meds forever. OBTW: I discovered that dairy makes me crave crave crave sugar. Stop the dairy---and the sugar cravings stop.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-08, 15:18
Registered Member

Plan: paleo
Stats: 170/160/150 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 50%

im wondering if doing a strict paleo diet can get one off Thyroid meds.... thats a personal goal of mine; i believe its possible if your newly diagnosed with hashis or hypo. but im not sure its possible if you been on meds for more than a few years.

im a firm believer that diet can literally help or even cure most conditions including autoimmune disease.

i havent really read any success stories, but i rarely find someone that has beeen entirely grain, milk, etc. free for a long period of time to allow the body (thyroid) to repair....

im willing todo anything to get off these thyroid meds... i been on meds for about 9 months now.... but i also consumed dairy, grains all throughout the period. so im going to test my condition up against a good paleo diet.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-08, 13:47

Plan: keto ancestral/IF
Stats: 330/189/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I spent years in severe pain - constant. Then I cut out dairy and the pain went away. Tell me there's no correlation there. when I have dairy - even in tiny amounts or even parts of dairy (whey, lactose), the pain comes back. Learned my lesson. Also, my measured levels of c-reactive protien were drastically different before cutting dairy out of my diet and after. So were my tests at the eye-doctor for glaucoma - eye pressure. I'm guessing inflammation was the cuplrit.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-08, 15:10
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Blackjack, you might want to read up on goitrogens. They're chemicals found in certain veggies that suppress thyroid production. I think they're generally disabled by cooking. It'd be a shame if your "raw" diet was actually making your thyroid condition worse.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=47
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-08, 22:26

Plan: whole foods, less carbs
Stats: 158.5/145.5/125 Female 62 in
BF:2 high
Progress: 39%

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack
im wondering if doing a strict paleo diet can get one off Thyroid meds.... thats a personal goal of mine; i believe its possible if your newly diagnosed with hashis or hypo. but im not sure its possible if you been on meds for more than a few years.

im a firm believer that diet can literally help or even cure most conditions including autoimmune disease.

i havent really read any success stories, but i rarely find someone that has beeen entirely grain, milk, etc. free for a long period of time to allow the body (thyroid) to repair....

im willing todo anything to get off these thyroid meds... i been on meds for about 9 months now.... but i also consumed dairy, grains all throughout the period. so im going to test my condition up against a good paleo diet.

I was on thyroid meds for over a span of two years, but actual time taking meds was just over a year. I struggled much more while on the meds than I ever did without them. My dose was gradually increased from 25 mcgs to 88. As the dose increased, my lab numbers got worse.

Next month will be my one year anniversary OFF meds totally. Diet plays a huge role for me here, wheat #1 culprit and of course high carb diet, and I am recently discovering dairy as a possible culprit. Since quitting meds I've regained muscle tone and strength (that was lost from the meds and too much exercise -exrunner here- along with not enough protein). I am emotionally much more stable, no more anxiety, clearer headed etc.. but if I slide back to poor eating/excess stress I will struggle with the slow thyroid. I don't claim to have found the answer, I only know what is right for me, and the meds weren't the answer.

Main thyroid taboo food for me is SOY, be very careful, it's hidden in many 'health' foods, especially protein bars and packaged foods! I don't avoid the goitrogenic vegies, I just make sure and cook them well.

As a side note; it wasn't easy making the transition to get off the meds. I did get worse before getting better, but it wasn't anything alarming and my doctor monitored bloodwork regularly. I'm not sure I'm completely out of the woods yet, but I do feel better overall, and I agree with you that it is possible to treat some thyroid conditions through lifestyle choices. (I find Bladderwrack, a seaweed plant, to help with low body temp and energy)

Good luck to you!