Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-20, 10:24

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%
Default Healing? Let's talk about collagen.

A lot of Paleo people are big on bone broth, but I don't the time and my kitchen would make Barbie feel at home. So I use collagen instead.

I like a combo of Great Lakes Gelatin's Collagen Hydrolysate with a flavored "beauty drink" which uses erythitrol. I like Neocell, Beauty Infusion, Refreshing Collagen Drink Mix.

The straight mix is too sweet, and it is an artificial flavor which I'm not used to. Mixing equal amounts (it dissolves well, especially if you use one of those shaker bottles) bring the flavor more into what I like, and I get less of what I don't want.

I used to put the Great Lakes into my hot tea, but then I kept forgetting. This way I tote a container to work and make it a fun part of my day.

Gelatin/bone broth/collagen is great for arthritis, and with its complete amino acid profile, it's what the body needs to heal from inflammation.

I'm not a soda drinker, and I avoid artificial sweeteners. But I get along with erythitrol, and these seem to work well.

However you want to do it, Just Do It. You might be surprised at how well it works.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-20, 14:05

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

I add a spoonful of gelatine to my morning tea. But I am retired, and morning is my quiet time, so it was easy to get in the habit. I dissolve the gelatine in some cold water, and then pour hot tea over. The only obvious benefit I've noted is that my fingernails are stronger, but I fancy that my occasional knee pain might be worse without the daily gelatine. (I also add gelatine to various things I cook where possible; a spoonful in soups, along with bone broth, or mixed into the meat for meatballs or meatloaf, or when I make pâté. Having a container handy in the cupboard makes it easy to add.)
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-20, 14:16
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

I'm a believer, too, Werebear. In Sept 2018, I managed to mysteriously acquire biceps tendonitis doing nothing in particular - it was most likely just repetitive strain. It would NOT go away. After about 8 months, I got fed up, went to the doctor, got a diagnosis and threw the kitchen sink at it. Now it's hard to tell what made the difference to finally heal it, but collagen and gelatin were part of my strategy. I had some every day for a long time.

For Canadians living near a Bulk Barn, they sell plain collagen. It's right near the gelatin.

When I made my Phillipina boss feel my crunchy shoulder (I was in her office to tell her my appointment times) she told me to eat meat and broth for the gelatin. I told her, "I'm one step ahead of you!" We had a nice conversation about traditional foods and broths.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-20, 15:27
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

I use Premium Collagen Peptide Powder from Grass Fed Beef Hydrolyzed Protein Peptides and add 2 scoops to my morning coffee, along with 2 scoops MCT oil powder and froth. That's my dairy-free beefed-up Bulletproof Coffee.

The powder is very fine and dissolves into anything with no effort and no taste or texture change.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-20, 16:02

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 247/242/200 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 11%

I have been eating gelatin/taking collegan every day and it seems to be helping my leaky gut. Also seems to help with the occassional knee pain.

Mini-goal 249
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-20, 16:09

Plan: Dr. Bernstein, low carb
Stats: 200/178/155 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 49%

I've been doing 20g hydrolyzed collagen from Vital Proteins in my coffee in the morning, primarily to help with thinning hair, but my nails were splitting too. Haven't noticed a difference yet in anything (nail, hair, joints, etc), but will keep going with it.

Anyone have thoughts on if I need to add gelatin too?
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-20, 00:45

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycie14
Anyone have thoughts on if I need to add gelatin too?

It's all the same thing, really. I just regard it as a source of protein. My container of gelatin suggests 24 grams a day, but that's just average.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-20, 06:38

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

I've been looking off and on for a bone broth to try for more than a year. Finally found (from a book recommendation: Deep Nutrition, Dr. Catherine Shanahan):

Pacific Foods Bone Broth

Walmart is cheaper than amazon. Found the taste to be bland, so I add a smidgen (1/2 teaspoon?) of Simple Girl Dry Bouillon.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-20, 07:12

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
I've been looking off and on for a bone broth to try for more than a year. Finally found (from a book recommendation: Deep Nutrition, Dr. Catherine Shanahan):

Pacific Foods Bone Broth

Walmart is cheaper than amazon. Found the taste to be bland, so I add a smidgen (1/2 teaspoon?) of Simple Girl Dry Bouillon.
Have you tried Kettle & Fire bone broth?

Max Lugavere recently did a podcast with Justin Mares, the founder and CEO. If you scroll down there's a promotion code.

The Genius Life 82: Bone Broth Benefits and Staying Healthy While Getting Your Dream Business off the Ground
https://www.maxlugavere.com/podcast/justin-mares-82
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-20, 07:23

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:

I usually make my own bone broth. Luckily I have a local butcher who regularly gives various bones and chicken carcasses when I ask.

However, I've also ordered this collagen peptides protein powder. My intention is to use it when I don't have any bone broth ready and available.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-20, 07:27

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
Found the taste to be bland, so I add a smidgen (1/2 teaspoon?) of Simple Girl Dry Bouillon.

I read that as Simple Girl Dry Bourbon and thought, "That would perk things up!"
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-20, 14:20

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
Have you tried Kettle & Fire bone broth?

Max Lugavere recently did a podcast with Justin Mares, the founder and CEO. If you scroll down there's a promotion code.

The Genius Life 82: Bone Broth Benefits and Staying Healthy While Getting Your Dream Business off the Ground
https://www.maxlugavere.com/podcast/justin-mares-82

Thank you! I'll have to try it.

#13   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-20, 16:51

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I take collagen peptides every day and have been for many months now. I can’t say that I’ve noticed any differences or health improvements in any way. I was hoping it might at least strengthen my fingernails but they still break and split about as soon as they reach the bare tip of my finger.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Mar-03-20, 08:25

BF:

Found a bone broth recipe in The Carnivore Cookbook by Maria Emmerich. Calls for 1-3 day cook time and I was looking at a crock pot on amazon and asked if it could cook on low for 3 days and a crock pot representative said they don't recommend people use it for more than 12 hours. Dosen't make sense to me [shrugs].

pic link
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Mar-03-20, 08:42

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:

I have an inexpensive slow cooker. I cook bone broth for 24 hours. I've been doing it for years. Works for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Crock-Pot-SC...259&sr=1-5&th=1