Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-17-01, 08:39
Registered Member

Plan: Mix of all
Stats: 185/174/130
BF:
Progress:
Default Headache!!!

I have had a headache since LAST Thursday, when I got really serious about cutting my carbs again. I've been taking everything I can get my hands on - Advil, Aleve, Motrin, Excedrin Migraine, etc. They help for an hour or two, but then the headache returns. The first time I did the Atkins diet my headache only lasted a day or two. Should I be worried?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-17-01, 08:41

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

You taking vitamins? Minerals?

Are you eating at least 1500 to 1800 calories a day? If not these could be some of the problems with the headaches.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-17-01, 14:33

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 312/285/230
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default Headache

I have had a dull headache for at least a week and a half now. I've tried Tylenol and Advil with a little help. I've gotten to where I just live with it. I have no idea how many calories I eat a day. I take a vitamin at night when I remember and I take essential fatty acids. I think the most painful thing is the stomach cramps due to skipping breakfast and having an empty stomach. Two glasses of water usually fixes my stomach.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-17-01, 15:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Why are you skipping breakfast? Skipping meals will slow down your metabolism, putting you into 'starvation mode', which will reduce weight loss and work against you in the long run. If you're hungry, eat! Low carb is NOT low cal!

Rachel
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-17-01, 15:51

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Breakfast

I'm not following Atkins, and I have yet to read his book, but I'm pretty sure he doesnt recommend skipping breakfast. The general rule is you need 10 - 12 times your body weight in order to lose weight. Being hungry isnt good, stomach cramps is definitely NOT good.

Maybe you should revist the book, and take a look at some of the Journals posted in here for an idea as to what everyone else is eating?

Nat
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-18-01, 06:45

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

People if you are having a headache it is your body telling you to feed it! Only time I get a headache is when I forget to eat, which is very rare these days, but when I do get a headache as soon as I eat it goes away.

Make sure you are getting magesium and potassium as well. These two minerals help with leg cramps and headaches as well.

DO NOT skip meals. This isn't a low fat, low calorie diet. This is LOW CARB, so bump up that calorie intake to replace the carbohydrates you are missing out on. Avg day for me is 1800 to 2000 calories, if I drop below that I stall out and don't lose anything.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-18-01, 17:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 212/185/185
BF:
Progress: 100%
Angry Headache

As a long-time headache sufferer myself, I can sympathize with what you're going through. Here are my thoughts on the subject:

1. If you're eating enough, and still suffering, your body may be missing some nutrients. To the two already mentioned--calcium and potassium--I would add magnesium, and, especially, chromium (picolinate, take 400mg with each meal) to the list. Another thing that can help is glutamine, 2-5g per day, available at GNC.

2. Is your mouth dry all the time? You may be dehydrated. You have to drink LOTS of water with LC WOE, because the body needs lots of water to metabolize fat. I always keep a bottle of water on my nightstand, and when I awaken at night (I always do), I take a swig. If I'm unfortunate enough to sleep through the night, I'll often wake up with a dry mouth and a whanging headache.

3. You may need to ease into the low-carb thing instead of plunging in. Unless you're dangerously obese, you can dial down the carb intake gradually to reach the induction level (I know Dr. Atkins doesn't mention this in his book, but remember that most of his patients come to him with severe weight-related problems). Dialing down lets your body adjust to burning fat instead of carbs as a primary energy source. But make sure the carbs you consume are healthy ones; i.e., from fruits and vegetables or the occasional whole grain. No potatoes, pasta, or junk food. And NO CHEATING!

Good Luck!