Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-22, 12:39

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

A sad post from Amy Berger today. What a heartbreaking loss…

Quote:
I have some very sad news to share, everyone...
Many of you are familiar with Dr. Sarah Hallberg and her lifelong, tireless efforts to help patients, conduct research, and change paradigms in healthcare from a low-carbohydrate perspective. Dr. Hallberg had been fighting cancer for the last few years and it is with a very heavy heart that I share with you that she has passed away.

This is a devastating loss to any of us in our "community" who have benefited from her work, including her work with Virta Health, as they have published some groundbreaking research that has already been instrumental in advancing the cause of therapeutic carbohydrate restriction, and will continue to be for years to come.

I've included a link here to an incredibly moving interview she did with Dr. Peter Attia, in which she shares the details of her diagnosis and treatment, and much, much more. (You can also listen to the audio podcast if you prefer -- look for Dr. Attia's podcast, called "The Drive," on whatever podcast hosting platform you use.)

I will also post a link in the comments to a TED Talk she became well-known for -- basically about reversing type 2 diabetes by ignoring the dietary guidelines.

This is just an absolutely tragic loss. May her memory and her life's work be a blessing to her family and to us all, and may we continue to share her legacy by being examples of the power of carbohydrate restriction, but far above that, of love, kindness, generosity, and empathy.

Express love today. And every day. Express it hard. Express it often. We don't know what life holds, friends, but we know that it is fragile. 💛
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e6u9JR-o6o.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-22, 12:57

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

How very very sad.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-22, 16:43

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Remembering Dr Sarah Hallberg,
by Sami Inkinen and Dr Stephen Phinney

https://www.virtahealth.com/blog/re...-sarah-hallberg

From Nina Teicholz: "Sarah's family and friends are founding a non-profit as a legacy for ~DrSarahHallberg
We plan to continue her passion for educating people about the possibility of reversing a T2 diabetes diagnosis--and will dedicate work to this extraordinary legacy."

https://www.gofundme.com/f/dr-sarah...218ca286471e997

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Mar-30-22 at 04:22.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-30-22, 08:00
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

This statement from her 2018 TED talk has always stuck with me..
Quote:
Obesity is a disease, not something created by lack of character. It is a hormonal disease.

Thankfully there are now many voices to carry on with her message.

RIP, Dr. Hallberg
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-30-22, 08:47

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

<3 so sad - what a great and enthusiastic advocate for health.

Ted Talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da1vvigy5tQ

She also "coined" a simple way for me to describe my "diet" to others, and it's easy to remember; "No GPS — Grains, Potatoes, Sugar"

There's been some evolution and branching with alternative thoughts on the "Insulin Hypothesis" i.e. "Energy Toxicity" a al Marty Kendall - at least that's where my current brain is

https://optimisingnutrition.com/ket...ity-is-enemy-1/

Thank You Dr. Hallberg
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-30-22, 09:30

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

I join in sadness with all those who have been encouraged and made healthier by Dr. Hallberg's tenacious advocacy. Her legacy will continue to bring life to the world.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-31-22, 13:37

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Her determination in taking on conventional wisdom without hesitation is what I'll always remember. The conflicts she witnessed in health policies and care caused her to study medicine and become a doctor who made a difference. Her memories continue to live with a purpose.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-01-22, 12:11

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Sarah was one of the many people I had hoped to meet in person at Low Carb Denver 2020, but she had opted out of direct attendance for what I had assumed were for the same reasons as everybody else, with Covid beginning to spread for the first time. It wasn't until her opinion piece was posted later that year in July that I realised there was more to it in her case.

Her famous TED Talk from 2015 - still quite new at that time - was the very first thing I found after having completed the initial "Beginner Banting" course on low carb through the Real Meal Revolution, and helped to reassure me that Tim Noakes wasn't the only one out there supporting low carb. That video provided an important bridge for me and my own journey, helping me to discover others like Stephen Phinney, Eric Westman and more.

Last year, after she reposted that talk to Facebook, I commented on it, thanking her for its role in my journey. And to my surprise, she actually replied:

Quote:
Yay! Congratulations on your health improvements!!

She didn't have to do that, and there was certainly no expectation on my part that she might, but she did. And I think that speaks to her humanity, that she found the time not just for research with her circle of professional colleagues and so on, but to acknowledge everyday people like us now and then as well. Not everybody of her standing is also as accessible as she was.

That Facebook post now sits in my "Saved" collection, and it's not a big collection. It serves as a reminder to me that there is value in sharing our gratitude for others, while those others are still around.