Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Dec-01-15, 16:24
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

FYI: The special at Requestatest.com for the month of December is 13% off of all tests they offer on their website. The coupon code (ANNIV13) is on the main page, but I repeated it here just in case it disappears. Be sure to use it at checkout if you go for this special.

They already had a good price on the NMR test I want done next week. Now it is $13 cheaper. Now I guess I have a look around to see if there are any other tests I might want done. I was thinking perhaps a Vitamin D test??? Does anybody have any recommendations for what this 52 year old guy might want done? I still have borderline high BP and I'm hoping that my diet tweaks are correcting my extremely elevated LDL & total cholesterol.

Anyway, here is the link to their website...

Requestatest.com

Here is the link to their NMR test I'm doing, with pricing...

NMR LipidProfile Test
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Jun-07-16, 04:48

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Article in NYT on Direct to Consumer Labs Tests, No Doctor Required.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/...-visit-required

Quote:
Two years ago, Kristi Wood was tired and achy and could not think clearly, and she had no idea why.

“I was in a fog and feeling awful,” said Ms. Wood, 49, who lives in Seattle and is an owner of a hiking supply company.

Ms. Wood had her blood tested by a consumer service called InsideTracker, which analyzes 30 hormones and biomarkers, such as vitamin levels, cholesterol and inflammation. After the service told Ms. Wood she had excessive levels of vitamin D, she cut back on a supplement she had been using and said she almost immediately felt better.

Now she has her blood drawn and tested by InsideTracker every four months to check everything from her blood sugar to her B12 levels which, she said, “allows me to be proactive” about her health. The services typically send their customers to a nearby clinic where they can have a vial of their blood drawn and sent for analyses. But InsideTracker also offers customers the option to have nurses show up at their home and draw blood. (Such services are different from another blood testing company that has been much in the news, Theranos, which aims to provide laboratory test results from a single finger prick.)

Home testing services like InsideTracker say they are empowering consumers, allowing them to spot metabolic red flags before they progress to disease. But critics say the services often lack proper medical oversight and convince healthy people that they’re sick, leading to unnecessary testing and treatment.

Those concerns have not stopped people from seeking home testing. The market for direct-to-consumer laboratory tests was valued at $131 million last year, up from $15 million in 2010,according to Kalorama Information, a pharmaceutical-industry research firm.

In December, the New York State attorney general, Eric T. Schneiderman, accused two companies, DirectLabs and LabCorp, of violating a state law that requires laboratory tests to be carried out at the request of licensed medical practitioners.

Article continues

I am a big fan of using Direct to Consumer Labs, mainly for the cost saving. You don't pay for the office visit, and most tests (like the Vit D I monitor) are cheaper than the regular pricing structure at a hospital or doctor's office...even with insurance. And in this area, they go to the exact same LabCorp facility. States complain about the high cost of health care, yet at the same time restrict cheaper options.
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Jun-07-16, 05:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
States complain about the high cost of health care, yet at the same time restrict cheaper options.

So true. I was talking with my brother who teaches at a big 10 medical school about various diagnostics to look at a problem I'm having with my leg (Ultrasound vs. MRI vs. CT). The billing term for what I want to do is "self pay" and even self payers need a doctor's order. So then I went to my doctor and he prescribed the diagnostic. So dumb.

In the libertarian community they are up in arms about licensing requirements just being a state sponsored barrier to competition. I wouldn't go that far but seeing that California requires fortune tellers and psychics to be licensed, I think they do have a point.
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Dec-30-16, 16:54

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Direct Laboratory Services

Quote:
New Years Special
Say goodbye to 2016 with 16% off your order now through midnight on the 31st! Use code "bye2016"*.

We would also like to wish you good times, good cheer, health, and happiness throughout the new year.

All of us at DirectLabs® want to thank you for your business, loyalty, and support in 2016. We hope to see you again in 2017!

In observance of the holiday, our office will be closed Monday, 1/2/2016.

We will reopen Tuesday, 1/3/2016.

*Coupon code not applicable to test of the month discounted tests or in conjunction with any other discounts.

http://www.directlabs.com/

Last edited by Meme#1 : Fri, Dec-30-16 at 17:10.
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Dec-31-16, 06:07

Your post reminded me to check the labs around me. DIrectLabs has completely transitioned to using Quest Labs. No change in how far I would go for a blood draw, one may even be closer.

I see nothing on the LabCorp website about ordering tests directly. Very specific in NC you must bring a doctor's order. Goggled around and found no business article since that 2015 announcement about LabCorp's plans to get into the business.
A change in strategy? DIrectLabs and other DTC seem to be growing and are offering more options. 20 others: http://medcitynews.com/2016/01/20-k...testing-market/

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Dec-31-16 at 07:19.
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Jul-03-17, 07:09

Always changing market! This From Forbes this morning:

Quote:
Walgreens Partners With LabCorp In New Diagnostic Testing Deal

by Bruce Japsen

The deal is the first for Walgreens since its troubled relationship with Theranos ended last year.

Walgreens said the lab testing services with LabCorp will complement its pharmacy and healthcare clinics

Walgreens Boots Alliance WBA -0.06% Wednesday announced a new collaboration with diagnostic testing firm LabCorp LH +1.37% “to develop and operate patient service centers within” certain Walgreens drugstores.

The deal is the first for Walgreens since its troubled relationship with Theranos ended last year. Walgreens' collaboration with LabCorp will initially begin this summer with five patient service centers in Denver and one in Morrisville, North Carolina. A seventh location in Deerfield, Illinois will open by the end of the year. Financial terms of the partnership weren't disclosed.

“The customer-centric culture and nationwide footprint of Walgreens are a perfect match for LabCorp and the patients we serve,” said LabCorp CEO David King. “This significant collaboration will enhance LabCorp’s patient engagement in key markets across the country and offer increased access to LabCorp’s broad range of laboratory services as we execute our mission to improve health and lives.”

Walgreens' effort to provide lab-testing services in its stores is part of an ongoing transformation into becoming more of a healthcare services company than a retailer. Walgreens tried to bring diagnostic tests to its stores in Arizona via its Theranos partnership, but that deal ended following investigations into the accuracy of Theranos blood tests.

Walgreens said the lab testing services with LabCorp will complement its pharmacy and healthcare clinics as part of an overall mission to provide "greater access to affordable health care service." The centers will be branded "LabCorp at Walgreens" and offer specimen collection services for LabCorp testing, the companies said.

The deal also has potential for LabCorp, which is a major competitor to Quest Diagnostics DGX +0.56%. LabCorp had nearly $9.5 billion in annual revenue last year, and diagnostic testing is often under pricing pressure from health insurance companies and government health programs looking to reduce costs.

LabCorp already has about 1,750 existing patient services centers and, depending on how the Walgreens partnership grows, could tap into a drugstore chain with more than 8,000 stores.

Walgreens is poised to get even bigger should the Federal Trade Commission approve its acquisition of Rite Aid. Walgreens management is expected to provide an update on the Rite Aid acquisition Thursday when the company releases its third-quarter earnings.
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Jul-03-17, 07:56

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Maybe there's hope. The closest labcorp is 54 miles away from me but there is a Walgreens I can walk to. It would be nice if they offered it here.

Jean
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Jul-03-17, 11:06

I always feel guilty when others write about not having x or y store or service. Our area is a test market and key market for just about every retail concept the world can come up with..including this. Depending on which Walgreens', it will be a mile or two away. Hope it spreads to other areas soon.
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Jul-03-17, 19:27
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

I'm thinking this over - I live in fairly large town, drs offices always have phlebotomy in the same building but if you have to do a fasting blood test and Walgreen's is open 24 hours you wouldn't have to fast until 8am, or be late for work waiting for them to open. So there's a few pluses. The last 5 physicals I've had they just used a couple drops of capillary blood since most of the machines are automated and can use microliters and run multiple tests from the vial.
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Jul-04-17, 02:50

Even if a Walgreens is open 24 hours, their pharmacy or minute-clinic has shorter "normal" hours, and I wonder how good the nurse drawing blood would be. One thing I have appreciated by ordering my own tests and going to the LabCorp or Quest office for the blood draw, is that whoever does it, they are experts at quick/painless finding the vein. Better than most doctor's offices...that's all they do all day long. Most of the lab service centers here open at 8 am and you can make on-line appointments.
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Dec-06-18, 09:29
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

FYI: Once again, Requestatest.com is offering a discount on all tests for the month of December. This time it is 15% off. I've used them several times for my NMRs, std lipid tests, and an A1c. The service from this company is great. Provided that you have a labcorps nearby, this is a good way to go for self testing away from your doctor's office. At $85 I may have another NMR done.

After getting doctor pleasing cholesterol numbers in September (and having weight creep from a higher carb diet to get those numbers) I'm back to eating VLC/Keto. I've been doing so for 2 months, but this time I am supplementing with 500mg of niacin daily. I want to see what that does to my cholesterol results.

Here is the link to their website...

Requestatest.com

Here is the link to their NMR test I'm doing, with pricing...

NMR LipidProfile Test
  #42   ^
Old Thu, May-05-22, 08:41

Reviving this 2015 thread, I received the results of three lab tests I ordered through Dave Feldman's direct to consumer service, within 22 hours of the blood draw.

It works the same as Direct Labs, blood draw at Lab Corp by appointment, fast check-in, one minute for the draw (always experienced techs, never had a bruise from them yet) results dropped into a patient portal, email to let you know they are done...and a basic lipid panel was only $8.75! (plus a small blood draw fee)!

And if you are willing to add your results and food intake to his database, a discount. And just by using this service, you support his work.
Own Your Labs is a win-win all around.

https://ownyourlabs.com/shop/

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, May-05-22 at 11:21.
  #43   ^
Old Thu, May-05-22, 13:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

Thank you for bringing this back!

I've been thinking about getting some inflammation and liver tests done.
  #44   ^
Old Fri, May-06-22, 04:02

As Dave writes on the home page, check the prices at some other labs, but that $8.75 lipid panel is $39 at Direct Labs.

Fasting Insulin, $12.60 vs. $26.00 at Direct Labs vs Sky's the Limit at hospital labs.

Of course, you have to already know how to read the results or work with a doctor willing to accept them.

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, May-06-22 at 05:30.
  #45   ^
Old Fri, May-06-22, 04:31

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

This is a tremendous advancement that lets informed people get more control of their health.

There's been a few tests I had to insist upon, and one in particular I had to bully a certain arrogant endocrinologist to order. (He deserved more, believe me. I sat there looking at his chart of 30 carbs for every meal for DIABETICS and knew I was in Rodents of Unusual Size territory.)

That battled-for test was my first clue to what was really going on. Only help the current endocrinology branch of medicine ever gave me. I had to be thrown out of his office to get it.