Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 19:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 297/264.5/180 Female 5'8
BF:3rd/attempt/toLC
Progress: 28%
Default Lexapro - Wellbutrin - Prozac ??

Hi there,

Recently I was diagnosed with depression by my doctor. When we talked about why I was depressed etc. It came up that I was really depressed with my failed diet attempts and my weight (among many other things).... when it came time for her to prescribe me a med, I asked if there was one with a side effect of appetite suppression.....she thought about for a bit then said Prozac....

A bit leary of any anti-depression drug since I've never been on any before I came home and started searching for information. What I have found on this site so far is that "everyone is different" and that different things work for different people. But I am wondering in general if any one might mind letting me know what worked for them...and if there is any thing else I should be aware of before asking to switch meds.

Seems like the three mentioned in the title of this thread (Lexapro - Wellbutrin - Prozac) are the most common ones that people havn't gained weight on.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-03, 12:10

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Is appetite your problem?

If not, appetite suppresion is not the answer. LC is pretty appetite suppressing on its own.

I don't overeat because of my "appetite." If I only ate when I was hungry and quit as soon as I got full, I'd be 145 naturally, effortlessly. I overeat because of insulin reactions, emotions, tiredness--all sorts of reasons--that would not be touched by a suppressant.

I do take an AD, and my doctor and I discussed my own depression profile and the general effects of several drugs to decide where to start me. Some meds work better with anxious-depression, and some with "need a kick in the butt" depression, and I don't know but I'll bet there are more. What kind are you? When I am not depressed, it is much easier to exercise, which is a big help in my weight loss plan.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-03, 22:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 297/264.5/180 Female 5'8
BF:3rd/attempt/toLC
Progress: 28%

I really don;t know what "kind" of depressed I am. I cry at the drop of a hat, I have socially isolated many of the people I love, I am sometimes scared to leave the house for fear of seeing people I know and have to talk to them.... this is all stuff I never used to have a problem with...I was the social butterfly- the one that knew everyone and mixed and mingled all the time. Helped others when they were sad.

So I don't know..I guess I am just "depressed"

I deceided to go with Prozac...took my first pill today...big step for me, to admit I needed help! I hope it helps in a couple weeks....