Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-19, 10:16

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Just compared nutrition facts from the CMK Allulose sold by Amazon to Table Sugar. The carb content of 1tsp is 4.0 for Allulose and 4.2 for Table Sugar. In 1tsp, there are 0 calories for Allulose and 16 for Table Sugar. Since Allulose is purported to cause no increase in blood sugar, this makes sense. However, the number of teaspoons one uses in a recipe or anything else has the potential to get the carb count up considerably. Anyone have some supporting information here? Not sure I want to increase my carbs just for a sweet taste.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-19, 13:18

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Rob,

As I understand it, something like 2/3rd to 3/4ths of allulose passes thru the body undigested and is excreted in the urine. So, the undigested carbs don't affect the body and can go uncounted.

However, there have to be SOME micro-organisms out there that can and do break down allulose molecules to release energy and return the carbon and oxygen in allulose to elemental form....otherwise, since allulose IS a naturally occurring molecule, over millennia it would eventually build up in the environment until it was no longer a "rare" molecule.

One concern I have is that, if we put enough allulose into our digestive systems, organisms that can break down allulose may (and probably eventually WILL) colonize our digestive systems. If that happens, then at the very least, more allulose energy WILL be released within our bodies making it available to US. I.e., the useable calories in allulose will rise.

This would be similar to the way micro-organisms within our digestive tract break down some of the otherwise non-digestible fiber that we eat, making some of those calories available to us.

What other side effects might become apparent as one's digestive system is colonized by more allulose-eating micro-organisms is anyone's guess.

Truth is, I suspect some people already have a larger number of allulose-eating micro-organisms in their digestive tracts that other people have... which is why some people excrete only 2/3rds of the allulose they consume while others excrete as much as 3/4th.

I've often wondered if differences in the composition of our gut microbiota could explain why some people can consume so many more calories than others without gaining weight.

Maybe a calorie really IS a calorie... but only if we can figure out how to only count the calories released by DIGESTED foods and don't count those that a particular person's gut simply cannot digest.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Oct-05-20, 09:51
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I found some and bought it a week or two ago. It has a nice taste but it isn't very sweet. I added it to some strawberries and then ended up adding some splenda too. I also think it made my mouth a bit "dry" feeling afterward, but I haven't used enough of it to tell. I think combining it with another sweetener would help intensify the sweetness.

Quote:
However, there have to be SOME micro-organisms out there that can and do break down allulose molecules to release energy and return the carbon and oxygen in allulose to elemental form....otherwise, since allulose IS a naturally occurring molecule, over millennia it would eventually build up in the environment until it was no longer a "rare" molecule.

I don't think allulose is a molecule. It is a rare sugar only found in a few fruits, like figs. Figs don't somehow recycle allulose out of the environment, they manufacture it. Things like oxygen, water, sunlight, micro-organisms in the soil or water could, possibly, break down allulose into its molecular components.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Mon, Oct-05-20 at 10:04.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Oct-06-20, 13:01

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Fructose doesn't raise BG but does affect insulin levels, so I wonder if anyone has checked allulose for an insulin effect - that is what's important!
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Oct-06-20, 19:28

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
Fructose doesn't raise BG but does affect insulin levels, so I wonder if anyone has checked allulose for an insulin effect - that is what's important!

Well from the article I quoted in post 9 in this thread it doesn’t seem to be a problem! 😂 Specifically:
Quote:
Indeed, a number of animal studies have found that it lowers blood sugar, increases insulin sensitivity and decreases the risk of type 2 diabetes by protecting the insulin-producing beta cells of the pancreas (5Trusted Source, 6Trusted Source, 7Trusted Source, 8Trusted Source).
Animal studies then but at least promising.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Dec-20-21, 10:14
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

https://drc.bmj.com/content/9/1/e001939

Quote:
Effects of D-allulose on glucose tolerance and insulin response to a standard oral sucrose load: results of a prospective, randomized, crossover study

Quote:
Conclusions This is the largest study assessing the effects of D-allulose in Westerners demonstrating an early dose-dependent reduction in plasma glucose and insulin levels as well as decreased postprandial glucose and insulin excursion in subjects without DM. These pilot observations set the basis for large-scale investigations to support the anti-DM effects of D-allulose.