Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 12:48

Plan: my own
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 00
BF:
Progress:
Default KFC Great!

I like KFC. Yes, the breading has a ton of carbs. But the breasts are huge. I don't eat the breading. I take off all skin and breading and only eat the meat. It is messy sure, but works great in a pinch. I would much rather eat a pc of chicken from KFC than not eat or eat something crappy. You don't have to eat the breading on the chicken, take it off.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 21:40

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihnig
Would the eastern version of Best Foods mayo be Hellmans?

Beth

That's it! Thanks, Beth! I think I must have lost the brain cells that had that information and Hardees.
  #63   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 23:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??

Quote:
My parents are currently travelling in the east and Mom complained that there were no Carl's to eat at.

Hopefully she'll find one now! LOL We just got back from the Oregon coast and the amount of Carl's out there is just pathetic. There's one in Roseburg and it's a dive, and at least one in Salem. We didn't do Carl's in Salem because we went to Quizno's for supper and Jack in the Box for breakfast. In the smaller coastal towns I was in there was no Carl's to be had.
  #64   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 15:47

Plan: Atkins original diet
Stats: 245/210/175 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilaCotton
Hopefully she'll find one now! LOL We just got back from the Oregon coast and the amount of Carl's out there is just pathetic. There's one in Roseburg and it's a dive, and at least one in Salem. We didn't do Carl's in Salem because we went to Quizno's for supper and Jack in the Box for breakfast. In the smaller coastal towns I was in there was no Carl's to be had.

I've been to Hardee's in the South and to Carl's in Arizona and Nevada. They really aren't the same, just the same ownership. Also, I think Hardee's has been co-branded with someone else over the years [Roy Rogers?] at least somewhere in the east.

Hellman's sure is Best Foods, just a label change. Same for the spice company McCormack aka Schilling in some places.

When I was younger, Suzanne Somers' husband was in commercials saying "Acme - tell a friend" but when I was in Texas, it became AlphaBeta, and the voice was NOT Alan Hamill.

In the local LI area, Quiznos', they of that insipid TV commercial with that non-living thing that can't sing, will make you a no-bread sandwhich, even though they are known for tasty toasted bread sandwhiches.

In my previous post, I wasn't knocking any chain really making a LC meal, but it's quite apparent that just about any food purveyor thinks that as long as you can point to something else that's EVEN HIGHER in carbs, that automatically means that something automatically qualifies as LC.

A minor wrinkle in that particular obfuscation is this matter of "net" carbs. It appears this is a snake oil of a kind that says that merely if a diabetic won't get a blood sugar rise out of it VERY QUICKLY, it's a carb to be ignored [not part of the "net" carbs].

By this token, slowly digestible fiber, complex carbs , sugar alcohols and pure fructose would be allowed to be "ignored"; trouble is that it don't work that way!

A diabetic can benefit from the Atkins regimen; it isn't required to be diabetic to do so however!

And remember to NEVER use any sweetener delivered in a 1 gram packet, since they all contain "less than one gram" of carbs. Problem is that they only WEIGH approximately "less than one gram" of carbs altogether, which really means that the contents is 92%-100% sugar depending on the label name. Splenda, Sugar Twin, Equal, Sweet 'n low, doesn't matter. Look [with your best magnifying glass!] on the label and find out that the main ingredient [well over 90% !!] in ALL of them is sugar, sometimes stated as lactose, or worse "nutrative dextrose". The sucralose or aspartame or sacharrin you thought you were getting is the MINORITY ingredient!

There are two exceptions:

1) Large blue [formerly red] bottles of Equal are NOT the same as what's in the blue packets. It's just the aspartame, but cut with maltodextrin so it's still not quite a free ride.

2) Splenda in the pourable box [as opposed to buying a box of little yellow sugar-containing packets!] is Sucralose also cut with maltodextrin. Same problem. Better than the packet, but not as good as when used in Soda.

Diet Black Cherry Jello also is sweetened with Aspartame with maltodextrin.

Diet Rite sodas [new formula] and a lttle outfit called Jeff's, a maker of a NY diet chocolate egg cream soda, are sweetened with sucralose. In these products there is no maltodextrin or sugar of any form.

I guess we need a new term for food regulations - ACTUAL carb count!

cjl (free-lance carb detective)
  #65   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-04, 19:17

Stats: 270/260/150
BF:
Progress: 8%

The KFC here in Albany, NY sells these salad bowls now with grilled chicken on top and some other grilled chicken dish.

But anyway, I was able to loose a lot of weight doing the Atkins thing a couple of years ago but its been a struggle ever since. What ruined that stretch for me was when I started eating low carb "substitute" foods like the Atkins sponges..oh I meant bread, the bars, candy, etc. If not physically, mentally I think it did something to keep me from loosing any more weight. So now I'm trying to just do it really as a simple, meat and veggies diet. My big challenge is that I can't cook. I can do a lot of things and I've tried very hard but cooking is something I can't do very well so now I'm trying to see if I can maybe hire someone to cook my meals at a decent price. That would help me tremendously.

Last edited by QueenIsis : Wed, Jun-02-04 at 19:18. Reason: poor sentence
  #66   ^
Old Thu, Jun-03-04, 07:14

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenIsis
My big challenge is that I can't cook. I can do a lot of things and I've tried very hard but cooking is something I can't do very well so now I'm trying to see if I can maybe hire someone to cook my meals at a decent price. That would help me tremendously.

While I can cook, QueenIsis, I don't have much time for it. So what I do is a lot of grilling. I even grill veges. I use one of those table-top grills. They're quick and easy and take little or no preparation or skill to use. That might help you...
  #67   ^
Old Thu, Jun-03-04, 15:08

Stats: 270/260/150
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebPenny
While I can cook, QueenIsis, I don't have much time for it. So what I do is a lot of grilling. I even grill veges. I use one of those table-top grills. They're quick and easy and take little or no preparation or skill to use. That might help you...

Thanks! I have a stove top grill thing, It's just that I don't seem to have a knack for seasoning well and so the food ends up bland or too salty which of course makes it unpleasant to eat wich of course makes me want to eat something else. So not being able to cook is really more of the problem than having the time. I need a cook. hahahaha
  #68   ^
Old Thu, Jun-03-04, 15:22

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 276.4/266.6/200 Female 5'8
BF:I've got some!!!
Progress: 13%

I see it as, why are companies complaining about the Low Carb diet, yeah, they are not making money, but by exploiting Atkins isn't going to help. Cause if you are really set on doing Atkins you are going to find out how many carbs are in the chicken. It blows my mind. Companies would make so much more money if they would bend for Low Carb. Use a different baking mix or use almond flour. There are ways to work around it! Just have to look at it from a "Low Carbers" perspective.
  #69   ^
Old Thu, Jun-03-04, 15:37
100% pork rind free

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 215/182.5/180 Female 5 ' 10 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 93%
Talking The FTC doesn't think so, either

This thread seems like a good place for this news article. I just copied it off a local TV station web site.
------------
Feds, KFC Settle Ad Dispute
KFC Accused Of False Advertising

POSTED: 2:38 pm EDT June 3, 2004
UPDATED: 2:47 pm EDT June 3, 2004

WASHINGTON -- KFC has settled with federal regulators who accused the fast-food chain of making health claims that didn't fly.

KFC ruffled feathers at the Federal Trade Commission with commercials that claimed the company's fried chicken was healthier than a Burger King Whopper and consistent with low-carbohydrate weight-loss programs.

The FTC says the chicken actually has more calories, trans fat and cholesterol than a Whopper, and since it's breaded and fried it runs against low-carb diets such as South Beach and Atkins.

In the settlement, KFC is prohibited from making similar claims in the future.

FTC Chairman Timothy Muris said food advertisers should know that the agency won't tolerate misleading advertising to consumers who are trying to eat healthier and watch their weight.

Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
  #70   ^
Old Thu, Jun-03-04, 16:36

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenIsis
I can do a lot of things and I've tried very hard but cooking is something I can't do very well so now I'm trying to see if I can maybe hire someone to cook my meals at a decent price. That would help me tremendously.

You'd save a lot of money in the long run if you'd sign up for cooking lessons instead

Really you don't need to be a good cook. You just need to learn a repertoire of 10 recipes and just always cook those. Throw in a couple of standbys like roasted chicken from the deli and whatever else cooked food from the supermarket that can be appropriate for low carb and there you have.
  #71   ^
Old Fri, Jun-04-04, 09:44

Plan: Atkins original diet
Stats: 245/210/175 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I went back and read this entire thread, and adding a few thoughts:

It would appear that more than a few food chains are trying to get the LC business. Some are trying to get it right, but don't quite get there. Others are sleazily just trying to handwave their way to quick profits because they see this only as a fad. Unfortunately, they are partially right!

The Atkins company is running ads in the NY TV market essentially trying to gently tell the average joe/jane that they only BELIEVE they are on the diet, and, to use their statistics, as many as 40% are doing it WRONG. I don't believe this or any other message is going to help. Unfortunately, there is going to be an Atkins backlash where far too many idiots are going to reinforce each others idiocy "proving" that the Atkins diet doesn't work when the reality is that they never were on it in the first place. There seems to be no end of fatal misunderstandings such as:

1) "I do Atkins during the week but on weekends..."

2) "I tried the Atkins for 3-4 days but..."

3) "I'm on the Atkins; I only eat every item I can find that has the Atkins symbol on it in unlimited ways because since it SAYS Atkins that means I can do whatever I want there"

4) "I only eat at places that SAY they are LC so it's fine that I eat anything and everything I find there." And if they have an LC menu, I can eat ALL of the items in unlimited quantities just as long as it's on the LC menu.

5) "I'm on the Atkins DIET. I only eat foods marked DIET"

6) "I'm on Atkins; I eat 1 or 2 of my daily meals LC and only have carbs for breakfast because we all know that you should avoid fat and cereal and fruit are good for you"

7) "I'm on Atkins; I eat LC all the time! I really make sure everything I eat says low-fat on it, since we all know that all diets mean to avoid fat"

8) "Im on Atkins; I only eat natural foods and we all know that Atkins is a healthy diet and I'm a vegetarian which is MORE healthy and thus I only eat fresh NATURAL foods like all the grapes I want, etc."

This last one is especially troubling because some people are using the rhetoric of the Vegans here to short-circuit the Atkins movement. [See the threads on PETA's poster boy, Dr. Bernhard.] It's hard, but apparently not impossible to conform to both vegetarian restrictions and Atkins at the same time. Clearly very discouraging and only those with great discipline should even consider it. I fear that someone too heavily invested in Veg-ism will delude themselves into something that Atkins isn't. Historically, and I assume that which attracts most people to this notion, is that it's theoretically "healthy" to be an ORDINARY vegetarian which turns out to often be totally bogus. [Lack of proper vitamins such as B12 from meat, etc., too many carbs leading to loss of lean tissue and buildup of fat, etc.]

For many, Veggie WOL came when their bodies had not yet started moving into the direction of eventual diabetes and possibly pernicious anemia. Should this be the case, the only way out may very well be to abandon Veganism and use normal Atkins [perhaps augmented by B12 shots] to restore health.

Anyone care to mention any other stupid human tricks so we can turn this into a David Letterman top 10 reasons to go on the Atkins diet incorrectly

cjl (I only do Atkins while I'm alive, but when I'm dead...)

Last edited by CLASYS : Fri, Jun-04-04 at 09:45. Reason: why not
  #72   ^
Old Fri, Jun-04-04, 10:38

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Anyone care to mention any other stupid human tricks so we can turn this into a David Letterman top 10 reasons to go on the Atkins diet incorrectly

That's a funny thought However it would never work because most of these are inside jokes. Only someone like us get it. Everyone else would nod their head and think "yup yup that's what I do...why is that funny ???"