Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-13, 12:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 315/315/240 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default I need a pep talk or a slap....

I'm really bad for bouncing from all happy and optimistic, to frustrated and discouraged. Here's my thing today - I've lost quite a bit of weight, and am finally in size 24 (3X) jeans. Sort of. I ordered some that were on sale, but they are a different CUT and they are way too small. I've lost 50+ pounds and I'm not quite down 2 sizes! The worst part is, that I think these jeans would have fit fine the LAST time I weighed this amount, so that makes me worry that I've lost more lean muscle tissue - you know, more flab so the same weight but a bigger size. No way to know for SURE of course without the exact same jeans. I'm trying to decide whether to return these jeans (3 pairs) for ones that fit NOW or keep them (because they were really, really on sale!) until I fit. Which gets me obsessing about what if I don't EVER fit? What if I'm doomed to repeat past patterns? *sigh*
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-13, 12:39

Plan: whole foods
Stats: 240/180/140 Female 63 inches
BF:too f'ing much
Progress: 60%

That's clothing manufacturers, not you. I got frustrated with jeans a while ago between the sizing and the insistence that even women in their forties like to display their ass cracks to the masses, and although I buy the majority of my clothing online I go to stores for jeans.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-13, 12:40

Plan: adkins
Stats: 140/122/110 Female 5'0''
BF:
Progress: 60%

Keep them, I have faith that you get in them soon. Your doing great and you will continue doing great.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-13, 13:08

Plan: atkins
Stats: 205/190/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 23%

You're kickin it!! Keep em cause you'll be in them soon enough.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-13, 13:56

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

I'm not much for slaps, so will give my attempt at pep talk. First, as others have said, sizes are at best capricious. And who's ever going to look at the label to see what size you are....they will look at what's before their eyes. And I bet you look like you've lost lots of weight! Second, the smaller you are, the less difference in inches between sizes. The difference between 2x and 3x is probably 4 inches all around. Between a 4 and a 6, maybe an inch or inch and a half. So, you've done the work of several sizes difference. Congratulations, you look great!

And on another front, don't worry about fat or muscle. As we age, our bodies have to work so much harder to put on muscle. After about 35, we are gradually losing muscle and gaining fat (unless we are working out vigorously to counteract aging) and you are making huge changes during that transition, which makes you more aware of that. Take comfort in the fact that you are losing in the way that helps you maintain as much lean mass as possible. What are the alternatives? Lose weight in a way that you lose MORE lean mass? Not lose at all? Or gain weight? Of the possibilities open to you, you've chosen the best route. That's the best you can do. Enjoy your amazing success.

Just concentrate on eating the best you can and those jeans will take care of themselves.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-13, 14:29

Stats: 280/265.2/170 Female 5, 5
BF:
Progress: 13%

Jeans are tough and by no means a good way to measure success. I have 18's that are so tight that I can't even get the zipper up and others that fit fine. I'm more comfortable in my 20's as they allow to move without feeling like I'm going to passout! LOL!

Anyway - the point is, Jeans are entirely at the mercy of the maker. I have seen jeans that are a size 18 that I probably couldn't fit into if I lost another 20 pounds. Too narrow through the hips or what have you.

Try not to let a size or label make or break you. 50 plus pounds is FANTABULOUS!!! Focus on this awesome accomplishment and ditch the negative thoughts.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-13, 15:29
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

You're going to be needing those jeans soon enough - - - keep them!

Where do you live? I'm lucky to live near a JC Penny's Outlet. I bought all my jeans there while I was dropping.... you can get new brand name jeans in there for $10 - $12.

Consignment and charity shops (Goodwill, etc) - another great place to save on jeans.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-13, 15:44

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 160/130/116 Female 61 inches - 5ft 1"
BF:32.8/19/15
Progress: 68%

keep them, you will be in them soon. ignore the size label, I bought a top 6 weeks ago, I love it & went back to the same store to buy the same top in a different colour. I had to buy one 2 sizes bigger! There was a major difference in size!
Also years ago I used to make clothes in a factory & the machines trim as they sew. Although we were supposed to trim 1.5mm off everyone sews different and some would trim 1.5cm.
I never look at the size number, I look at the actual garment & go by that. It's way more accurate. And jeans are the worst thing in the world to get a good fit too.

Chin up, look forward to getting in those jeans soon!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-13, 16:47

Stats: 315/315/240 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
What are the alternatives? Lose weight in a way that you lose MORE lean mass? Not lose at all? Or gain weight? Of the possibilities open to you, you've chosen the best route. .

That's an excellent bit of reframing - thanks for that!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-13, 08:44

Plan: HF/LC Primal
Stats: 235/134/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

50 pounds is awesome! Don't let a pair of jeans tell you otherwise. Keep them - they'll fit sooner or later (as long as you stick with what you're doing). Keep up the great work
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-13, 10:13
Triple digit loss

Plan: Dr. Bernstien
Stats: 352/206.8/175 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 82%
Wink

Way to go! you are doing great

My take on it. Is i buy clothes from same places as when I was whicked fat.

I was telling a co-worker of mine through my long journey of being overweight and dieting that it is different at different clothing stores.

She telling me goto walmart or kohls to get cheap clothes. And I had to explain to her what i discovered.

For instance a long time I go I found a size 16/18/20 at say a jcpenneys or sears was not the same as a size 16/18/20 at a lane bryant, august max, or catherines.

That when "Plus" is used for bigger sizes instead of "womens". They tend to get a little larger than what a "womens" size would be.

Another thing I noticed was the Plus Size stuff "stretches" So you can actual get buy sometimes having a smaller size than what you really are.

I recently 2 months ago bought 4 polos from catherines. Same brand, same shirt different colors. 2 of the shirts are smaller in length then 2 other shirts.

But for me the above is still doing obessing and trying to justify why you don't fit in it.

Have confidence in your weight loss. Do you see it in the mirror?

The bigger question to me is; At what weight will you believe and have confidence in you having this under control?

I complete know what you mean, For me I had two points. One was when I hit below 300. The other point was just recently. When I gave away all my whicked fat clothes a few weeks ago. When I hit the double digits in loosing.

Last 2.5 weeks I been sorta freaking out because this month my period was whicked weird. I didn't loose the normal amounts(still lost but less), I felt really fat. My boobs felt bigger. Worrying that oh crap, this better not be it. But you know what it was fine. I am back on track I think to whatever hormonal thing was going on. And tommorrow, weight day, I fairly certain I will be back on track.

For me, if having those clothes is causing you to obsess and doubt, then return them.

Get something that is snug and fits for the most part.

But don't let it derail you.

Trust, trust, trust the scale and body measurements you are taking. And don't go by what size you are in "new" clothes.

Oh and if you are worried about loosing muscle mass, then do some weightlifting to keep it. That is what I am doing. It seems to be working. As I am becoming more "ripped" like I was when I was younger.

You are doing so great! Don't forget that...
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-13, 10:58
Registered Member

Stats: 306/294/185 Female 5"6"
BF:
Progress: 10%

No slaps, you're doing great. While your body is shrinking and reshaping, you have new pants waiting for you. Give it another week or two and the jeans will fit nicely.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-13, 11:05

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

In time those jeans may fit, but they may or may not be cut for you or flattering to your body. When I was way overweight I would buy just about anything that fit, whether it was actually flattering or not. Now that I'm closer to ideal weight, and more stable in weight, I worry alot more that a new piece of clothing really fits. If it doesn't make me look better than the clothes I walked into the store in, it doesn't go home with me.

While it may be a while till you get to that point, don't make the mistake of thinking something is wrong with YOU if they don't fit. It can just as easily be the jeans.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-13, 23:56

Stats: 335/245/200 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 67%

I worked in a store in Women's softlines and the clothes change sizes with which country they were made in. You make always be able to wear a certain brand and then they change where they make them and they come in usually 1-2 sizes smaller. I never saw any that got bigger. Seems to be that clothes made in India run a lot smaller than other countries, but that may have changed too. If they were a really good price keep them, if not return them and not sweat the small stuff. The manufacturer changed the size so it is not you!