Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 04:55

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Where to begin?

I am new to all this low carb stuff. Just starting today. I dont think I will have an issue sticking to it.
I have lost over 80 pounds using the diet pill xenical but to be truthful that was so easy to do since it pretty much did the work for me. Now that I went off it for a while I gained back like 60 pounds of that! I figure now is a time to learn to diet and do it correctly to keep it off. I have read the Atkins for life(in the middle of it now) I believe there is a book in front of that that I just ordered.
I want to succeed so badly on this and anyhelp will be appreciated. I am now 258 pounds(AGAIN!!) and I dont want to be this weight anymore! Where do I start?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 05:12
Sugar Free & Sober!

Plan: Atkins/maintenance
Stats: 186/155/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 67%

Personally, I would start by reading one of Dr. Atkins first books. You gain so much information of how and why it works.
Then, just stick with it. Do a strict induction and go from there. Ask the forum questions when you have them. This is a great place for information and support.
Some people stay on induction for a long time, others suggest moving up the "carb ladder". You will have to make it something you can stick with for a lifetime.
Welcome and good luck with your weight loss.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 06:30

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

I realize i bought the wrong book first. I am getting the first one very soon.(ordered it) When it comes to carbs I know that not eating rice is going to be a big deal for me! I might even cry at some point. I am not a sweet eater but I love my diet soda so i know I will struggle alot. I am glad I found this forum and thanks for the response!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 07:11

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/198.6/170 Female 67inches
BF:
Progress: 52%

Laurie. Good news, you have already started. Just coming here is the best start. Yes, you gotta read the book, but read all over this forum You MUST start a journal. Put it all in there, what you eat, when you are upet, or depressed the whole thing. The first week will be hard, it will be important that you eat when you are hungry, eat as much as you need that first week, just make sure it is LC
Keep coming back here, this place will keep you on track
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 08:46

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 179/179/145 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I agree , get an Atkins book & read read & re-read. I have had mine for while , but still go back to re-read. It motivates me.
If you cant find one , go to the library , go online.
Its kinda like a bible for this way of life.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 09:17
Creating my reality

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 350/259/190 Male 5'11"
BF:"TILT"
Progress: 57%

I agree about the book.. You must have a foundation as well as empowerment as to why the low carb lifestyle works. It will help you set yourself up for success.

Glad you are here.

T-man
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 09:19
~writes for Him~

Stats: 120/120/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 17%

Yep, read the book and you will do better with the plan.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 09:22
neverwhere

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Laurie, being depressed is ok. I've definately cried over this woe a few times through the years. It is all worth it in the end. You are lucky you found this place right at the start of your journey. I only wish I had it years ago!

By the way, I drink diet pepsi all the time. You may not neccessarily have to give it up. Just make water your main beverage. Good luck!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 16:38

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

its good that someone else has drank diet soda. thats going to be so hard..that and rice!!! But i will do fine i think! thanks all who welcomed me. I appreciate it so much.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 20:50

Stats: 156/146.8/139 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

Laurie, glad you are here with us. We'll get you through the depression/grief over not having rice any more. Think about it in terms of your health - what's more important to you rice or being healthy.

All the best!!

Julie
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-07, 01:48
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Welcome, Laurie! We're glad to have you here with us!

I drink diet soda, too, although not Pepsi or Coke. The sodas those companies make that are sweetened with Splenda aren't available in my area, so I drink Diet-Rite Pure Zero and Hansen's. (Aspartame makes me ill.)

You will do fine. You will find a lot of support, encouragement and information here. Do read the book! (There must be an echo here! )
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jun-29-09, 17:07

Plan: none
Stats: 165/165/125 Female 4'9
BF:
Progress: 0%
Exclamation new beginner

Hi! New to this hope it is successful.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jun-30-09, 16:31

Stats: 242/161/155 Female 5'6
BF:don't u ask
Progress: 93%

Welcome! Got to agree that the book is the way to go. If you can't get one right away the local lib. is a great place, thats where I went till I could pick mine up. Also, this day and age alot of the info is online, to get you going. You will find lots of info and friendship on the site!