Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-10, 09:58
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Ok, I guess you can cure Type 2

Hmmm... never thought of it quite this way.

http://nephropal.blogspot.com/2010/...th-is-flat.html

Quote:
THE EARTH IS FLAT AND DIABETES TYPE 2 CAN'T BE CURED.

Today I spent some time visiting with a doctor who used to be my my traditional medicine primary doctor. After exchanging all the pleasantries, he asked how my diabetes type 2 was doing? I told him I don't have it any more. He quickly asked, did I mean that I have it under control? Just as quickly I answered , no, it's cured. He objected to this answer saying diabetes type 2 can not be cured , only controlled. His reasoning was that if I go back to eating the standard American diet my diabetes type 2 would return. I tried to explain that I am passionately convinced that eating as our ancient evolutionary ancestors did would prevent this from occurring. He still insisted that I was wrong. So, I tried another tack. I asked him to reverse places with me.

The following is the scenario I presented. He is the patient suffering from arsenic poisoning, because of his ingesting small amounts of arsenic on a daily basis. Naturally he became very ill and came to see me his doctor. He told me what he was doing and I advised him to stop eating poison. He did, and his symptoms vanished. He then asked me if he was now cured, using the logic of my use to be doctor, I answered no, because, if he started to eat poison again he would become sick. As ridiculous as this example is, this is how a traditional medical doctor reasons.

More at the link.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-10, 10:01

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

There's a greater flaw in thinking, than the way a traditional Doctor sees the word; "cure"...

Most people want to diet, supplement, etc... to either lose weight or gain some degree of health with an erroneous thinking of getting "restored"

and then from that point of "restoration", they derive they can go back to doing whatever it was they were doing before.

I ate the wrong way, now I eat the right way. I don't look at "cured" or "restored". I'm healthy and I'm doing healthy things to stay healthy. What more logic do I need to put into it?
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-24-10, 19:44

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

"cured" is just a word.
IMHO curing a disease involves removing the conditions that cause the disease.I doubt if very many "cured" T2 diabetics would pass a GTT.Avoiding the many bad effects of type 2 diabetes and having a decent quality of life appears to be the best most T2's can hope for.
Cheers,low BG's
Eddie
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-25-10, 17:52
Registered Member

Plan: Filthy Carnivore
Stats: 198/146/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Diabetes can never be cured, it can only be managed. It's a permanent disease. When you go back to your old unhealthy WOE, the diabetes will be back! You can count on that!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-25-10, 18:01

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I think of it as being cured, myself. The disease is carbohydrate poisoning. Yes some organs might take a long time to recover, if ever.

I like the sunburn analogy by Dr. Vernon. If you're a fair person and you have too much sun, is it a disease to get sunburned? Same with diabetics and carb metabolism. If you have too much for YOU you will get sick. Every time.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-25-10, 18:04
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
When you go back to your old unhealthy WOE, the diabetes will be back! You can count on that!
I don't think you read the article I linked. It's just the semantics of using the term cure and treat. I don't think you'll find any discrepancy in what he says with what you said.

I'll steal his analogy:

Lets imagine that you were eating arsenic and got very ill. When you went to the hospital they treated you for arsenic poisoning and cured you. Cure sounds right in that context doesn't it? It isn't a treatment for arsenic poisoning, it's a cure. Obviously if you go back to eating the arsenic you're going to have the old issue return. It sounds silly to say that after you've stopped eating arsenic and all your symptoms disappear that you're being treated for arsenic poisoning. Doesn't it?

By the same reasoning if your old WOE was poisoning you then eliminating it provides a cure.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-25-10, 18:11

Plan: loosely PB
Stats: 197/135/000 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 31%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC

By the same reasoning if your old WOE was poisoning you then eliminating it provides a cure.

Except to the extent that you have done any permanent damage to your pancreas.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-25-10, 18:34
Experimenter

BF:

If eating arsenic meant you had to be on dialysis for life because you thrashed your kidneys you would have a complication from the poisoning. It doesn't mean you still have arsenic poisoning.

I guess I'd say if you're symptom free, you're cured, as in the arsenic scenario. Otherwise I'd probably say you have a permanent condition caused by the poisoning.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Mon, Jan-25-10 at 18:41.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-25-10, 18:37

BF:

Well but - if you had a broken arm and had a scar from that, would you say you were not cured as long as the scar was there?

That's how I see some liver and pancreas damage. Some comes back and then, no symptoms; but some have permanent damage more like a scar.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-25-10, 18:45
Experimenter

BF:

Not all that important a distinction really, I just liked the guys logic.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-26-10, 16:58

"when a feeling was there, they felt as if it would never go; when it was gone, they felt as if it had never been; when it returned, they felt as if it had never gone." - George MacDonald
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jan-26-10, 17:49

BF:

whoa nice quote, I love George McD
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jan-30-10, 05:58

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Several of my cousins who eat a medium carb diet and get
lots of exercise(they are farmers) wound up with T2 diabetes.
Arsenic?Sunlight?I don't think so.
T2 inherited by genetics?Probably.
And the world turns...
Eddie
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jan-30-10, 10:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiemcm
Several of my cousins who eat a medium carb diet and get
lots of exercise(they are farmers) wound up with T2 diabetes.
Arsenic?Sunlight?I don't think so.
T2 inherited by genetics?Probably.
And the world turns...
Eddie

I doubt it was the sunshine, but perhaps it might have been the moonshine!
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Feb-01-10, 16:51
Registered Member

Plan: paleo type
Stats: 356/246.6/185 Male 70 inches
BF:23%
Progress: 64%

Type 2 is not a disease, so much as a symptom of blood sugar problems with a fairly large collection of different causes. Further, the degree of the "disease" is dependent on both insulin resistance and the amount of damage to the beta cells and the pancreas in general.

A quick telling of my own life, and ignorance, will shed some light on whether there is a "cure."

I was diagnosed with Type 2 at the age of 56 and reacted quickly by losing weight from 356 pounds to 242 pounds, and lowering my carbs quite a bit, and adding some BS reducing herbs to the mix. I cycled the herbs every few weeks so the body couldn't adapt. I never even got my own BS meter, but when my sister came over the next year and a half she would test my post-meal spikes, They were never over 107 an hour after meals.

But I had to go into the hospital for something unrelated at age 58, and because of my previous diagnoses they would test me. My post-meal spikes were still good. One day the doc stated with a smug look, "You've somehow done a good job of controlling your BS, but the problems always come back." And, that is the experience of most doctors when they use the term control rather then cure. Since that time my BS problems have slowly gotten a little worse.

So my take on whether or not there is a "cure" or something close to a cure:
Most people when they get their BS under fairly good control, are naive if they think diet and exercise with herbs or something like Metformin goes as far as a cure, unless they can take it further than most can even consider.

But...but perhaps something like a cure could be called if through diet, exercise, and perhaps Metformin or some herbs you could reduce your A1C to the level of a totally healthy person with no BS problems whatsoever, for say a year. That A1C would have to be 4.8 or lower each time, and there would have to be signs of regression of previous damage from BS spikes. That would come close to a cure without saying the person could go back to some silly high-carb diet. IMHO anyway,