Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-13, 12:46
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default B12 deficiency: Excellent video! 30% of us have it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvEi...eature=youtu.be

Really, really horrible thing. You might have it, but doctors don't see it because folic acid masks the blood test they normally use: MVC. You have to directly test B12. This can ruin your life... permanently.

Quote:
Vitamin B12 deficiency can sneak up on you, and can lead to a myriad of diseases and disorders. Know the signs and symptoms. You could be deficient yet still test in the so-called range of "normal B12" on a blood test, especially if you have taken an oral B12 supplement of uncertain quality, or you have been under-treating the deficiency. Oral B12 supplements do not work for all patients; patients with digestive/absorption problems benefit from B12 injections, as do patients with nerve damage.

Proton pump inhibitors, metformin, birth control pills, nitrous oxide anesthesia, IBS/IBD, pregnancy, low stomach acid (common in older people), high folic acid vitamin supplements, vegetarians... all very likely to have an issue. Your developing fetus without enough B12 can have issues.

Post-partum psychosis! Oy...this is amazing. Watch it!

Last edited by Nancy LC : Mon, Jan-28-13 at 12:53.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-13, 15:26

Plan: Atkins/Reduced dairy
Stats: 280/200/180 Male 5'8
BF:30.4%
Progress: 80%

I get a b12 injection every 4 to 6 weeks if I don't I get very lethargic and down. Thought i had ADD for years. I have tried B12 supplements but I cant assimilate it.

Anyway, I have just recently started to take liquid b12 which you place under the tongue hopefully that will work because getting injections every month is expensive.

I have a suspicion that my B12 issue is related to low flora and my IBS so I am working on improving my gut health with L Glutamine and lecithin and probiotics.

Fingers crossed.

Last edited by Michaelk : Mon, Jan-28-13 at 15:32.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-13, 15:52
Experimenter

BF:

They do mention that digestive issues are the cause of lots of B12 deficiency.

Problem is the testing that most doctors do is the wrong sort.

Let me know how the drops work out. I've been using subligual methylcobalamin for a long time, I've never had a shot. I might try the shot though.

Did you watch the video? It is flabbergasting.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-13, 16:15

Just finished watching now great info. I didn't realise it was so serious. I feel so lucky that my doctor tested me for it. She is such a good doctor she also picked up on my wife having heamochromotosis which is hard to diagnose.

My level was at 74 just Like the lady with tremors. I didn't have that but I was lethargic all the time was depressed no attention and dizzy. She first tried me on some anti-depressants but with each one I had atypical reactions. She then had me tested for B12 deficiency which was confirmed. She gave me injections every week for about 3 months. It was amazing because the change in me was dramatic but toward the end of the week. My symptoms would return. I needed the injection to function I was like a junky. The injections were a life saver.

If the liquid works I would still go for an injection every few months just Incase. I tried B12 supplements at one time but it did nothing for me as my doctor tested me again and my levels were very low still.

#5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-13, 16:41
Experimenter

BF:

Were they sublingual (under the tongue) b12 supplements?
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-13, 18:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Were they sublingual (under the tongue) b12 supplements?

The first supplements, no. capsules i think.

I am using liquid now but only for a week or so. I have read they are good for people with gut issues and I was told that 90% of the vitamin is absorbed under the tongue. The one I have has other B vitamins in it which are supposed to work with B12.

As I say, time will tell if its any good.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-13, 20:58
Experimenter

BF:

I've always used sublingual B12. I definitely want to try a shot and see if it does anything for me. They have them at various health food stores from time to time.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-13, 21:16

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Too bad we don't have loose skin like a cat's. I give my 17-yr-old cat sub-Q B12 shots for his gut issues & it is cheap - $7 pays for ~12 doses. Though he's a lot smaller than me.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-13, 10:13

Well the b12 is quite cheap here but paying to get it injected! I have been tempted to do it myself. But I'm a wimp.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-13, 10:34
Experimenter

BF:

I think B12 is given intramuscular in humans. I could do it if it were just under the skin, but intramuscular... that takes guts!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, May-24-13, 23:33

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvEi...eature=youtu.be

Really, really horrible thing. You might have it, but doctors don't see it because folic acid masks the blood test they normally use: MVC. You have to directly test B12. This can ruin your life... permanently.

Proton pump inhibitors, metformin, birth control pills, nitrous oxide anesthesia, IBS/IBD, pregnancy, low stomach acid (common in older people), high folic acid vitamin supplements, vegetarians... all very likely to have an issue. Your developing fetus without enough B12 can have issues.

Post-partum psychosis! Oy...this is amazing. Watch it!
Holy cow! This is shocking and scary.

I have many of the minor symptoms and red flags and had more of them in the past, before going low carb and gluten-free. I'm in several of the high-risk groups. I actually stopped the video midway through and ran out to get some sublingual B-12. I put 10,000 mcg under my tongue and now I have a surge of energy that I haven't felt for a long time. (Wish I hadn't done this in the evening though.)

Thanks for bringing this to my attention Nancy.

I take a lot of supplements but only considered D3 and magnesium to be essential. I think sublingual B-12 will now be added to the list.

Imagine the pain, suffering, and healthcare dollars that could be saved if this information were well known.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, May-25-13, 07:56

Plan: Paleo/atkins
Stats: 289/155/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 96%

The depression and anxiety sounds a lot like my husband. We're working on finding the correct antidepressant/anxiety meds right now.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, May-25-13, 08:25
Experimenter

BF:

There's no harm in getting extra B12 and it could definitely keep your brain and nerves functioning.

All those grain eaters out there have extra issues absorbing B12 too.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, May-25-13, 08:44

Plan: Paleo/atkins
Stats: 289/155/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 96%

Yeah it will just go out in your urine if you take too much.

How much should I give my dh a day? He actually has a few symptoms and is a carb addict.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, May-25-13, 12:00

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

I've just been looking at stocking up on B-12 online and now I'm confused. I've found:

cyanocobalamin

Methylcobalamin (Methyl B-12)

dibencozide

What's real? What's synthetic? All of the manufacturers claim to be suitable for vegetarians or vegans. Wouldn't the natural stuff be sourced from meat?