Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-08, 11:39

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292/250/199 Female 5'2"
BF:50%/46.5%/23%
Progress: 45%
Default Question about TOM and PCOS

I am just curious. How long have you been with TOM? I mean without taking any hormones to stop it going? Waiting for it to go away naturally? Is is harmful to go on so long?

I appreciate any outcomes on this. Because it seems like I am setting a world record and I am getting concerned about it.

Last edited by maritsant : Sun, Jan-20-08 at 11:07.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-08, 03:00

Plan: currently at <50g carb/d
Stats: 208/203.1/136 Female 5ft 9.5in
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default We need other forum members

Hi, I started low-carbing on january 2nd. I am now starting MY THIRD PERIOD, which means I've only gone a three or four days without bleeding since I started lcing. How are you doing? Did your problem eventually go away? I did some research and I know that other people have had the same problem, though rarely, and it is supposed to go away in the second month of lcing.
I've noticed that nobody has responded to your thread. I am going to start a new one to try and get forum members' attention. Hang in there.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-08, 07:27

Thanks so much for responding. Last week I still had heavy bleeding with cramps and clots. As of today I am still seeing brown discharge. I still have to wear a napkin everyday. Let's see what happens tomorrow because during the weekends it seems to diminish and starting on Monday's it begins full force again. That is the pattern.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-08, 05:24

BF:

Hi again. Nobody is responding. I'm going to try the newbie section and see if somebody helps us over there.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-08, 05:38

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 350/280/150 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:generous
Progress: 35%

I've never been diagnosed with PCOS, but the same thing has been happening to me. Earlier in 2007, my periods were very heavy after starting low carb, but I figured it was because I wasn't that regular and losing weight was helping to regulate them so it was hormonal or something. They didn't last long though. The normal 5 days (or even less). Then in September (just before going off low carb) my period got very light.

When I restarted low carb, I got my period within a few days. It wasn't overly heavy, but it went 6 days (unusual for me). Then it came back and went for well over a week of the light brownish discharge. It just stopped the day before yesterday. So like the others, I've had about 2 or 3 period free days since restarting low carb. I am hoping it will regulate itself and go back to the wonderful predictability of my youth.

I am guessing I might have some sort of hormonal/insulin thingy going on with my cycle or even mild PCOS. Hopefully LCing will fix this for me. It might explain our problems getting pregnant. I'm definitely off to the doctor if we still have problems after losing more weight.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-08, 05:53

BF:

Dear Moggsy, thank you so much for answering. I think I am finally stopping my period, but before I carve those words in stone, I'm going to wait a few days to see if it doesn't start up again. Your situation sounds very very similar to mine. I'm reassured that this is probably just related to revamping one's entire metabolism.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-08, 17:33

Thanks for responding as of all this week TOM has left and the discharges too, so hopefully my next cycles will be more regular since I am low carbing.

Moggsy.......... Don't lose faith in getting pregnant, because the first time around I followed this WOE I lost 42 pounds, my periods regulated and I got pregnant naturally, without taking anything. So it can happen. My precious daughter is now 2 years 7 months.