Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, May-30-12, 01:27
Monday came.

Plan: my own
Stats: 275/228.6/155 Female 5'4"
BF:ummm . . . ?
Progress: 39%

I made it to the pool last week, and again today, first time in months. Feels *so wonderful* just to be able to move freely. I'm in about the worst shape of my life right now after a major regain, and no way could I go out and walk two miles, and I'm at 260. So pat yourself on the back big time!
Agree completely with the above posters who are counseling you to take it easy on your joints and muscles. I assume your husband wears running shoes. If you took his shoes away, told him to run barefoot and `run through the pain' if he cut his foot, it would be similar to what he's asking.
I believe you when you say he has redeeming qualities--this just isn't one of them.

I was thinking today when I was driving home from the pool about how clueless people can be about what it means to be overweight--that they could get a better idea if they had to wear an extra hundred pounds every waking--and sleeping--moment.

One of the frustrations of what we're dealing with--the lack of understanding. At least there's a TDC. No explanations required.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, May-30-12, 03:34

Plan: sort ofatkins
Stats: 205/144/140 Female 5;6
BF:
Progress: 94%

Well done for walking 1 mile and then reaching 2 miles...you know your own body and its limitations,you are pushing yourself already and doing enough,dont allow someone else to take the pleasure from what your doing away..i would ask your other half if he would run the 5k now as he has been pushing himself and should be able to..if he says that he needs to work up to it then,then tell him you are the same and need to work up to it,im sure his intentions are good but if he carrys on he will just take the pleasure of achievement away from you..and really yu are doing a fantastic job..Do you walk with headphones,this wouldhelp make it more enjoyable and you wouldnt have to listen to him,lol.......
keep going,eventually he will get it.....well done..
  #33   ^
Old Wed, May-30-12, 06:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 336/286/199 Female 5'11"
BF:Losing it....
Progress: 36%

This is a great thread, and might help a bit...

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=442856
  #34   ^
Old Wed, May-30-12, 10:15

Plan: atkins
Stats: 300/246/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 36%

I think it's great that you can still keep walking after the snarky remarks. But please do be careful with your joints. I have ruined my knees by pushing myself to walk through the pain, it wasn't a good idea. Pain can be a deal breaker at our weight. I always wonder how they make all the people on Biggest loser do all the sudden intense exercise without injuries.
  #35   ^
Old Wed, May-30-12, 18:36
Registered Member

Stats: 295/281/135 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:sure is
Progress: 9%

Have you considered anything that might stress your joints a little less than walking? I know it's probably the cheapest form of exercise, but I have a tendency to waddle that annoys me to no end. I've found that if I'm going out with the sole purpose of exercising (and enjoying the outdoors in general), I prefer to take my bike.

I'm lucky (and I know it) because my husbeast realized that there was a problem when he'd be half a km ahead of me on his (fixed gear) bike, and I'd be chugging away, turning red as a raspberry on my poor little trail bike. This is with him "going slow"**. You see, he bike commutes to work, while I take the car. It's one of the weird benefits of him not having a driver's license!

He's also one of those weird "eat less and move more" people. It boggles him that I lose weight when I stop eating hot dogs, hamburgers (the buns in both), pasta, rice and potatoes.

The solution? we saved our money and bought a couple of sturdy 5-gear city bikes. I'm still slower than him, but not by much. It's also easier for him to hold back a bit due to the style of bike. And he knows that if I'm walking up the hill, it's steep enough to get the best of me. Our city bikes are much heavier (look up Pashley on Google. His is a roadster sovereign, mine a princess sovereign), so he has a bit more challenge, even though he isn't going as fast. It puts us on a slightly more equal footing!

**For those who don't know what a fixed gear bike is, well...take all the gears and brakes off your bike, as well as the freewheel (thing that allows you to pedal backwards with that 'click-click-click' noise I thought was so cool at age 12). That's a fixie. They're really REALLY light, usually made from old competitive racing bikes or purposely built for fixed gear speed. You don't stop unless you slow your legs. Your legs *are* the brakes. Fixie riders do a kind of skid to try and slow themselves down, because once they get going, it's difficult to stop. Also, he's been known to hit speeds around 40 or 50kph when he really gets going in traffic, so slowing down for me is a bit of a pain.

(btw, he's about 250lbs -- easily 40 pounds lighter than me, and has been cycling for a couple of years, thus having more muscle. He definitely has an advantage).
  #36   ^
Old Thu, May-31-12, 05:49
Registered Member

Stats: 350/313.8/220 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 28%

After talking to my husband quite a few times now I think he finally "gets" the difference between our bodies. He has been doing a really good job with working out and training and plans to run a 5k on Father's day. I've started my walk away the pounds dvds since it is getting a bit unbearable outside. I am considering a gift to myself once I get under 300.. a gym membership. We shall see! Amazing I never ever thought I would *want* a gym membership! LOL
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Jun-01-12, 14:22

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 230/200.7/165 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Ok, this sounds like.... Marriage!
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Jun-01-12, 14:32

Plan: My Own
Stats: 293/293/180 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly_L
My husband used to go out walking with me and fret and criticize because I wasn't keeping up with him.
My husband has longer legs than me and is the same way. At one point I got fed up and asked "Do you love me?" "Of course!" he replied. "Then act like it and hold my hand!" I grumbled at him. It made him have to slow down to hold my hand, so the walk was much more enjoyable.