Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-19, 17:48
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%
Default Effect of IF and CCR diets on weight loss

I had to laugh at the way the media puts their own twist on a study to back up their own take on it like "Intermittent fasting is no better than standard diets!"
Quote:
"When you get hungry, that's your insulin going up. And when your insulin goes up and you don't eat, it stays up. And then what happens is you get less sensitive to it. And that's what Type 2 diabetes is. So regular schedule, three meals, nothing, nada, zero, in between – that's the best way to lose weight, have optimal health, and feel good," Dr. David Agus CBS This Morning
Don't even know where to start on that statement, other than stating: Doctors and journalists are not nutrition scientists or even dietitians. On tonight's news info-graphic it states fasting causes "Starvation mode" "brain fog" and lowers "insulin resistance."

https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/artic...edFrom=fulltext

To add insult to injury the the EAT–Lancet Commission on healthy diets from sustainable food systems just came out

One steak a month? Not on you life

Last edited by mike_d : Thu, Jan-17-19 at 20:20.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-19, 20:38

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:

It's certainly getting wacky out there. I can only imagine how ketogenic eating and fasting are being interpreted by those who want to sound authoritative, but have no clue as to the underlying science. More, many will overreact to IF as being the first stage of an eating disorder, and for some, it could be. Unfortunately, facts and safe protocols get lost in the excitement.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-19, 08:15
Grease is the word!

Found this article in my bookmarks: explains the difference between simple CR and IF fairly well. The media need to see it

https://idmprogram.com/difference-c...ing-fasting-27/
Quote:
Jumping off a 1 foot wall 1000 times is far different than jumping off a 1000-foot wall once.

Last edited by mike_d : Sat, Jan-19-19 at 08:20.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-19, 10:27

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Until I read that bit about insulin staying up if you don't eat, I had no idea my brain could barf independent of my body. This goes past "Doctors only get so much training in nutrition" to sheer incompetence. It's the sort of armchair philosophising from a simple premise--cephalic insulin initiating hunger--without considering anything else at all that you'd expect from a novice diet forum layman. Not an insult, if that's what you actually are. But a doctor?
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-19, 12:31

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/170/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

I agree with you all. It’s just too annoying...and the bad-science rumours and fear mongering don’t help. I don’t fight it, I don’t get into conversations with people. If they ask, press me, I’ll talk about the non-weight loss benefits I have from eating ketogenicly and how I never want to go back to being that tired, moody, irritable, impatient, poor-sleep couch potato that I was before. And “that’s just me, you have to find what keeps you feeling stable, healthy and happy.”

BUT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
To add insult to injury the the EAT–Lancet Commission on healthy diets from sustainable food systems just came out

One steak a month? Not on you life

I do try to eat limit my beef to grass-fed, free range ... therefore not carbon intensive and healthier too (same omegas as salmon, apparently)...and because that’s expensive, I eat it less. It’s hard to balance legitimate concern for climate change and this diet.

In the last year I’ve tried to focus more on unsalted, unroasted nuts, eggs, coconut oil, cheese, pork, chicken and fish...and then the occasional grass fed beef. Which largely means not eating it out, where the cheap, mass manufactured beef is mostly what’s available unless you go very high-end. And it means a lot of planning for foods to take for lunch, and learning new dishes...

It’s hard to find the balance that works for each of us. Like— this same study says one thing we can do is reduce food waste, but apparently that probablem is primarily in industry, not homes (at least in Canada, I’ll find the article). So like using fossil fuels...what’s the balance? I try to use transit and walk more in daily life and save my carbon use for a flight to see other parts of the world.

Maybe I should make this another thread...how do folks balance the climate concerns with this woe?
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-19, 14:56

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
Until I read that bit about insulin staying up if you don't eat, I had no idea my brain could barf independent of my body. This goes past "Doctors only get so much training in nutrition" to sheer incompetence. It's the sort of armchair philosophising from a simple premise--cephalic insulin initiating hunger--without considering anything else at all that you'd expect from a novice diet forum layman. Not an insult, if that's what you actually are. But a doctor?

My kids are almost there with deciding on college and I've been hanging out on college forums. One of the things that comes up OVER and OVER again is how the most important criteria for getting into med school is GPA. Not how good your undergrad school is, not your MCATs, not how suited you are for being a doctor, not the rigor of the classes you've taken. So students trying to go for pre-med typically take the fluffiest load they can in order to keep that 4.0 GPA including taking easier classes at easier schools over the summer and transferring them back to their harder college. It's a game. I wouldn't want a doctor who was just playing games with their education and not invested in challenging themselves but it REALLY explains a LOT about why doctors are the way they are - not that curious, in my experience.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-19, 08:30

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
Until I read that bit about insulin staying up if you don't eat, I had no idea my brain could barf independent of my body.

Needed that laugh, Teaser, thanks.

Thing is, fake news probably started with what we’ve been told to eat for years. The previous “science” only lasted until some skeptics started actually looking at what the science actually WAS.

What passes for reporting has an even lower standard. The New York Times has Gina Kolata who turns out to be the miserable example of what happens when you follow what the experts say despite the effect it has on your body and health.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-19, 05:04

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Jane Brody gets my vote as the health writer who damaged more Americans over more years with more low fat and low cholesterol advice than any other. And she is still at it!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-19, 05:56
Grease is the word!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Jane Brody gets my vote as the health writer who damaged more Americans over more years with more low fat and low cholesterol advice than any other. And she is still at it!
Then, of course, there's Dean Ornish
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-19, 05:59

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:

I may have been thinking of her, too. But there are many.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-19, 11:51

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
Found this article in my bookmarks: explains the difference between simple CR and IF fairly well. The media need to see it

https://idmprogram.com/difference-c...ing-fasting-27/

TBH, my brain has been a bit closed off to the idea of IF. It all sounded like a cross between a 1970s housewife skipping lunch and magic juju from eating precisely at 2:57pm everyday because someone once had a woosh after they did that, so they know it works. In other words: It sounded like a bunch of B.S.

So, thank you for that link. After you posted it the other day I went to read it, mainly so I could understand what people were talking about, not because I thought it made any difference (yeah, okay, that's my version of open-minded ). And I spent half the day crawling through that website, looking up other links and reading.

I get it now! And it clicked with something I'd learned from Body for Life, which was to workout before breakfast, but I couldn't remember why. Based on that I'm going to:
  • eat dinner earlier (since I live alone, dinner time has occurred 'whenever' often late into the evening)
  • stop feeling guilty about not eating breakfast and eat my first meal of the day when I'm hungry
I might explore IF some more as I move along.

Thanks again for the link.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-19, 13:30

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Me too. I normally donate books I no longer need, but the one I had of hers I made sure to slice out the pages & put them in the recyling bin and the spine in the garbage to preserve the health of anyone who might want to buy it.