Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-02, 10:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/112/107 Female 5'3"
BF:?
Progress: 90%
Question Fitday.com calculations

When searching foods at fitday.com I found that sliced pepperoni has 2.9 grams of carbs in one cup. However; the package of sliced pepperoni I purchased from the grocery store says on the label that it has zero carbs. Same for heavy cream.....package says zero, fitday.com says over 10 in one cup. What's right?

Kim
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-02, 10:43

Plan: No more
Stats: 168/177/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: -39%
Default labels

Check the labels and see what the serving sizes are. They are most likely smaller than 1 cup and they have a small amount of carbs even though they claim 0. I've read in LC books(can't remember which at the moment, though)that if the carb count in the serving is less than 1 gm, they can claim it is 0, but the carbs add up in larger portions so you have to really watch it. I would
take Fitday's word for it and just be careful with your portions.

I know it can be frustrating at times to have to figure out labels... especially when they are misleading.

#3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-02, 10:47

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Pepperoni, 2 ozs has about 1 carb. A standard package of Pepperoni is 6oz. You are probably reading it as 1 oz serving.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-02, 10:49
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

If there is <1g of carb in a serving, then the nutrition label will state that it has zero. A serving of pepperoni is a lot less than a cup of pepperoni! So the various "fractions" of carbs add up when you get to volumes like a cup! Same goes for cream....

Almost all processed meats will have small amounts of carbs because they use fillers and various spices. All dairy products have carbs, too... just in varying amounts.

I figure fitday calculations are close enough.... don't sweat over a carb or two in your daily totals.... life is stressful enough!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Oct-19-02, 00:24

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%
Default Both can be right.

I used to buy sliced peproni too untill I started eating a whole package a day so ya I know what you're talking about on fitday..lol

It has 0 carbs if you eat it by the serving size, or .99 carbs or something..fitday will just count it anyways. Are you checking the serving sizes? Cause like the package might say 10 pieces, 0 carbs..fitday will say 1 cup= 2 carbs... which both would be right...

Solution?

Easy. Just customize everything you eat regulary into Fitday. Because even if the serving size is 1 cup and you eat 1/2 or 3 cups.. Fitday will automatically figure out the correct carb count based on what you entered for the customized label.