Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-13, 20:36

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Very nice Mark!

I am very happy to say we don't give our calves antibiotics unless its needed and absolutely no growth hormones. But, were not a big finishing place either where the animals are packed and dissease and bacteria would run rampid if left unchecked.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-13, 17:14

Plan: ketogenic neandrathin
Stats: 254/212/155 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 42%

Isn't one concern with corn and grain finished cows that most all corn is gmo as its hard not to get corn that is not crosspollinated in the field itself from surrounding gmo corn farmers? So...the gmo stuff coming through the meat we eat will still effect us? T
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-14, 12:26
Registered Member

Plan: raw fatty meat
Stats: 166/151.2/155 Male 180
BF:
Progress: 135%

Hello!!

the beef of Ireland is grassfeed or grainfeed?
I'm in Spain and the beef of supermarket is of Ireland.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-14, 13:21

BF:

To be honest with you, I think most grains these days are GMO and we would be hard pressed finding it in high enough quantity to feed all the live stock.

We raise all our own grains but I believe I've heard him talk about the seads in the past. They do "extra" things to the seads to keep them from rotting in the ground and the grain tollerant to round up and sorts. So, most of our grains is probably GMO, hard to find some that isn't.

IMO (small) but its more important and more economical to keep them pastured/hay with the grain and no hormones or antibiotics. There is a huge taste difference between our meat and store bought meat.

Now, we did riase up a bottle calf and he was butchered. He started out on replacement formula and at about 2 months old started eating grains and hay. When they all reached 5 months old and weaned, he went out with the other calves in the big lot on hay and grains. He fattened up just as nice as the others did but he did not taste as good as the others did. Coincadence?
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-14, 13:55
Registered Member

BF:

I give you the reason, the taste is very different, as the texture and nutritional values.

thanks.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-14, 16:32

Plan: adkins
Stats: 140/122/110 Female 5'0''
BF:
Progress: 60%

I just got a farm raised 1/4 cow and I notice a huge difference in taste and when the fat drippings get hard their whiter than store bought, I have no idea why.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-14, 19:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins 72
Stats: 176/125/125 Female 5'3.5
BF:
Progress: 100%

I've just delved into the world of bone broth and I wanted to use the best possible beef marrow bones. I have severe stomach issues so it's important to me to make the most nourishing stock I can. I had no idea that it would be so difficult to source grass-finished beef bones --in Wisconsin no less. I prefer the flavor of grain-finished beef, but I don't want the GMO's. I have enough inflammation as it is. I finally found a couple of sources through eatwild.com and localharvest.org, and I am waiting for them to let me know when they have the bones I need. In the meantime, I just got some marrow bones at Whole Foods. Grass-fed, but grain-finished. It's the best I can do for now, but it's incredibly frustrating that it's so hard for me to get! *sigh*
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-14, 20:34
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by paleochris
Hello!!

the beef of Ireland is grassfeed or grainfeed?
I'm in Spain and the beef of supermarket is of Ireland.

I found this on beef from Ireland.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-14, 21:40
Registered Member

BF:

Are a good news for me.
thanks for the info.
Spanish beef is grain fed.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-14, 08:12

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotGal
I found this on beef from Ireland.

Thank you for that link. The person in the article who mentioned seeing cows grazing in fields in Ireland had the same surprised reaction that I did on my first trip back after several years in America.

I was driving through the English and Irish countryside and while my English companions chattered on about their lives, I just stared out of the window amazed and spellbound by the sight of cows gently grazing in fields everywhere. It was not until then that I realized I'd never seen that in all my journeys around the US. Here, I've seen plenty of corn fields, wheat fields, and occasionally horses in fields....but never cattle. I want to think I was just never in the right place at the right time. But in 30 years I think I might have come across at least one field of grazing cows by now, whereas in England and Ireland they were all over the place.

ETA: There are plenty of things I LOVE about America, but sadly the food supply isn't one of them. This is one area where we can certainly do better.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-14, 09:43

BF:

Maybe you were in the wrong places in the US, because over here in the Mid West you can't go 5 miles without seeing a big heard of cattle out grazing.
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-14, 09:50

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:

That's really good to know, Jacki - and what I was hoping.