Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-14-18, 22:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 183/180/145 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default Do You Fast?

I've been reading up on a lot of info here at this forum and found that many folks talk about fasting as part of their regime. Is this a practice among us Atkiners, or is it something else?

If this is an Atkins approach, can someone please explain to me how it works? I am very curious, wondering if it's effective for weight loss.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-15-18, 03:58

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Yes. This forum does not support extended fasting, but fasting for part of a day on Atkins/Westman/LCHF is often a natural response to the satiating power of being in ketosis. Only Eat When you are Hungry, Stop when full.

Once a LCer becomes "fat-adapted" and starts burning their own body fat for fuel, they often find they are not hungry between meals, or wake up not hungry and able to push off the first meal of the day to noon or early afternoon. Thus naturally having only a six to eight hour (LeanGains) or four hour (Warrior Diet) "eating window". The longest discussion of fasting here, approaching four years , is this: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=472377

Highly recommend Dr Fung's video series on fasting that explains those timing options and others very clearly, linked within at this excellent intro:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/intermittent-fasting

So consider LCHF first, become fat adapted, and then adding Intermittent Fasting (IF) as a natural response to your hunger signals.

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, May-15-18 at 04:09.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-15-18, 05:44

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

Even though I am not on Atkins, after watching my husband pickup on Dr. Fung, and doing 3- 36 hour fasts per week with amazing results on his bp, blood sugar and weight (he eats using CALP principles, as I do), I have moved from an easy 12/12 IF (12 hour eating window) to a 16/8, and now considering an 18/6 pattern (which I tried over this past weekend without any difficulty.)
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-15-18, 06:34
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky B
I've been reading up on a lot of info here at this forum and found that many folks talk about fasting as part of their regime. Is this a practice among us Atkiners, or is it something else?

If this is an Atkins approach, can someone please explain to me how it works? I am very curious, wondering if it's effective for weight loss.

Thanks!

Yes, many of us do various forms of "fasting." You'll see references to the eating window that reflects how many hours fasting, then a "/" then how many hours we give ourselves to eat. The science behind all this has to do with our bodies' insulin release. If you don't do anything else, please read Dr. Fung's blog posts on Understanding Obesity.

This graphic made the most impression on me and I keep it in my mind when I'm tempted to put food in my mouth.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-15-18, 07:17

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

^ I love that graphic. It shows that everyone is already doing IF (intermittent fasting) (as long as they don't snack between meals, or wake up at two in the morning and eat).

I started IF while on Atkins induction. After two weeks, I found that I was metabolically resistant. I was reading and watching videos and found fasting intriguing, so I gave it a try.

Did a 16:8 (or 16 / 8 ) - 8 hour eating window and 16 hour fast between my last meal of the day and breakfast (always my first, and largest meal of the day). A few 19:5s. Then I tried a 24, and it was easy. Did a 40 hour fast - finished lunch at 2pm, no eating the next day, then 6am breakfast on day 3 - around 40 hours. No problems whatsoever. Dr. Fung says hunger comes in waves, the first being the worst coming at around 2 days. Did not experience that. I did my usual morning walk. Felt really good.

I've also been doing a few OMAD (one meal a day). Breakfast, of course. Very easy to do.

Start out extending the time from your last meal to your next day's meal.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-15-18, 10:14

Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

I find that eating my first meal of the day around noon and finishing up my dinner by 8 p.m. feels very natural for me and helps rein in the temptation to eat for entertainment. I also feel like it gives my body a chance to rest and digest effectively.

Last edited by barb712 : Tue, May-15-18 at 10:25.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-16-18, 02:29
Registered Member

Stats: 183/180/145 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Thanks, Janet! Great info here.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-18-18, 12:23

Plan: Slow Carb
Stats: 110/110/125 Female 5"0'
BF:26%
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky B

Thanks!

From my understanding with fasting and Atkins, the lack of protein and carbs means you'll wind up stripping aminos from your muscle. but maybe muscle building isn't your thing, and if this is purely for fat loss, it oughta work nicely. Is this fair to say?
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-18-18, 13:15

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

As I remember Atkins, he doesnt want most people to fast per se. Yes, over night, from after dinner to breakfast. And as interest in eating decreases, that first meal may be lunch and breakfast skipped completely.

Other wise I only remember fast fasts. FF's I dont hear that term used any more.

IF is a new thing.

Also the risk of decreasing muscle mass and the need to protect the muscle comes into play.

I am unclear on the issue at this point. As in how long the fast is and it's negative impact on muscle mass. When muscle sparing comes into play, etc.

I think of the prisoners of WWII, people reduced to skin and bones thru starvation.

I personally think" what is my purpose in weight loss?" FOr me it is better health. And abject starvation is not appropriate for that purpose.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, May-18-18, 13:47

Plan: LerC, TRE, IF
Stats: 150/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

My n = 1: I experience no muscle wasting from following my 20/4 regime. On the contrary, my arms and shoulders look as if I do weights - and I don't.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, May-18-18, 14:02

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambulo
My n = 1: I experience no muscle wasting from following my 20/4 regime. On the contrary, my arms and shoulders look as if I do weights - and I don't.

That fits with what I said above.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, May-18-18, 20:42

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

If you are eating ketogenically and are not underweight, your body will eat your bodyfat before it breaks down muscles. If you are eating >30g carbs and are not fat adapted, your body will continue to break down muscle protein to make glucose. Fasting also boosts growth hormone production, which conserves muscles.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, May-19-18, 11:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb712
I find that eating my first meal of the day around noon and finishing up my dinner by 8 p.m. feels very natural for me and helps rein in the temptation to eat for entertainment. I also feel like it gives my body a chance to rest and digest effectively.

Have you ever had an experience where you get hungry after 9pm or so? I get really hungry and it becomes difficult to sleep because my tummy is growling. Any tips or suggestions of what I could do during the day to prevent this? or Have any suggestions for late night snacks that would still be healthy? Generally I try to not eat after 8 or 9pm but recently my appetite has been increased for some reason.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, May-19-18, 16:24

BF:

Eat something fatty.

Your body needs time to adjust. I can't go from eating SAD to 2 meals a day vroooom. Body needs time to adapt. So eat an allowable food like:

scrambled egg with 1 T butter
1 oz macademia nuts
2 oz beef with oo/butter

I also like something crunchy, to go with the aboves ometimes:
few slices cucumber,maybe with ranch dressing
1/2 stalk celery, maybe with allowable dressing

WHen I start LCing AGAIN.....my window of eating starts when I get up to midnight, then moves noon-midnight, then decreases to noon- 6 or 8 pm...... I let my body tell me.

When I push hunger too far , the next meal turns into a binge on OP items, which is too much food for weight loss and too many carbs.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Sat, May-19-18 at 16:30.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, May-20-18, 05:33

I think that is what I will try to do. Maybe my problem is having too early of a cut-off time, and pushing it back and adjusting the time of my last meal could be a little more helpful. I just like to give myself at least an hour between eating and sleeping because for me no matter how I eat, if i go to sleep on a full stomach I gain weight. As of late I have been more of a night owl, I think getting proper sleep would help as well. Thanks for the advice! Cucumbers are one of my favorite snacks!