Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-19, 12:34

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default Association Between Push-up Exercise Capacity and Future Cardiovascular Events Among

Dr. Rhonda Patrick instagram post...

Association Between Push-up Exercise Capacity and Future Cardiovascular Events Among Active Adult Men 2-15-2019
Quote:
Question. Is there an office-based objective measurement that clinicians can use to assess the association between fitness and cardiovascular disease risk?

Findings. This longitudinal cohort study of 1104 occupationally active adult men found a significant negative association between baseline push-up capacity and incident cardiovascular disease risk across 10 years of follow-up. Participants able to complete more than 40 push-ups were associated with a significant reduction in incident cardiovascular disease event risk compared with those completing fewer than 10 push-ups.

Meaning. Push-up capacity is a no-cost, fast, and simple measure that may be a useful and objective clinical assessment tool for evaluating functional capacity and cardiovascular disease risk
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-19, 16:09
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

I fall into the 10 push-ups and 0 pull-ups category
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-19, 17:13

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I rode a really tall horse recently and I was a little worried if I had lost some of my upper body strength but happily, I pulled myself right up and got on with no problems whatsoever.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-19, 17:55
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
I rode a really tall horse recently and I was a little worried if I had lost some of my upper body strength but happily, I pulled myself right up and got on with no problems whatsoever.
Yeah, that's not always easy -- especially if your mount won't stand still, or tries to bite
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-19, 18:30

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
Yeah, that's not always easy -- especially if your mount won't stand still, or tries to bite

Back in the day I could grab the mane and swing myself right up on the bareback horse riding off. Last time I tried that (just to see if still could) my body quit swinging up about half why there
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-19, 04:10

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Never could do pull-ups, but I was quite a pear shape back when.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-19, 04:25

BF:

What I could never do is the rope climb in gym..nope. I got about 2 feet off of the ground and told PE teacher, no way no how.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-19, 07:21

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I posted on this study in my journal a couple of days ago. I think maybe it comes down to pushups being a fair proxy for body fat percentage rather than having to do with strength as such--and of course, low body fat percentage is going to correlate with less fatty liver or visceral fat, better so than bmi would.

My friend's kid, vegetarian at the time, was talking about how many body weight reps he could do of various exercises. There's a reason why gymnasts are extremely lean. Lean people can still have insulin resistance and type II etc. of course, but it's much less likely.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-19, 09:24

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
What I could never do is the rope climb in gym..nope. I got about 2 feet off of the ground and told PE teacher, no way no how.

I could never do it, either. Later, in my 30s, I belonged to a gym that had floor to ceiling ropes and I could go all the way to the top. None of my PE teachers had ever taught me how to do it. 1) It's much easier barefoot. 2) You have to use your foot as an anchor with the rope wrapped around it. Now I blame the PE teachers for not having actually instructed us.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-19, 09:34

BF:

You're right, they never showed us how to do it either. We were just supposed to know how to do it.
They were just doing the yearly fitness testing when they also weigh everyone.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-19, 09:36

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Exercise hint: As an all-purpose mini-workout, push-ups are pretty good. Every part of the body gets involved, especially mid-section (core). I include these in my BTN ("better than nothing") days.

Hint #2: Push-ups are hard on the back for us pear-shaped women with not a lot of arm strength. Be sure and check form tips online. I do them from the knees only. Keep eyes looking forward. Rest and stretch.

Hint #3: Planks are equally good, and I like them better. Planks also increase heart rate and produce a sweat.

Have fun!

P. S. Rope climb? Pull-ups? No way.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-19, 10:19

Plan: LC gut healing
Stats: 302/285/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Irrelevant
Progress: 12%

Tom Naughton discussed this study. His take is pushups are proxy for age.

Fat Head Movie's talks about the study
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-19, 11:07

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
The use of age and BMI in occupational settings as determinants of fitness for duty has been avoided owing to concerns related to the Americans with Disabilities Act.35-37 However, push-up capacity is a functional test.

Looks like the study authors sort of agree with me and Tom (more directly with Tom, because I wondered about pushups as a proxy more for actual leanness versus bmi, which itself is just a loose proxy for leanness). Firemen are a cohort where muscle pushing people into the "obese" category probably comes up more than usual.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-19, 15:34

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
These results do not support push-up capacity as an independent predictor of cardiovascular disease risk. However, a higher level of muscular strength has been associated with lower cardiometabolic risk independent of cardiorespiratory fitness in other studies. Muscular strength has also been shown to have an independent protective effect for all-cause mortality and hypertension in healthy men. The bottom line is it doesn't hurt to do your best to stay fit and try to crush it with your push-ups!
^ I agree with Dr. Rhonda Patrick
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Mar-03-19, 06:14

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Just wondering how many push ups Bob Harper could do, especially 10 years before his heart attack? Wonder how many he can do now?

I know, I know, supposedly his heart problem is genetic, but it just goes to show yet another reason that how many push ups you can do is just a pointless correlation.