Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-10-16, 00:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 258.4/241.4/190 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Restart....restart....and restart....sigh.

I can't help but feel a bit defeated posting that I'm starting...again...but then again, the ultimate defeat would be to give up completely right?

I was shocked when I stepped on the scales today to see that I'm at 259. Holy crap. I've never weighed that much in my life. I hide it fairly well fortunately. I figured that my ideal weight should be 190 or so. That's 69 lbs to lose. 69!!! It might as well be 70!

But it's ok, I have hope!!! I can do this....

It's great to be here and I can't wait to get to know some of you...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-10-16, 00:13

Plan: LCHF <20g
Stats: 206/182/170 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 67%

Good luck and congratulations for being back here ~ you can do it!

Read some of the success stories, there are women on here who have lost more than 100 lbs. and men who have lost more than 200, so 69 is doable!!!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-10-16, 05:21

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Fall down seven times, get up eight.

But you are successful after eight only if you learned from the first seven times. What are you going to do differently? What habits can you change right now and keep forever?
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=468195
Here are a few ideas that may help you related to eating:
http://www.gretchenrubin.com/wp-con...ng_onesheet.pdf
Just being back here IS a good "accountability" step...maybe join a weigh in group? All the best,
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-10-16, 06:55

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 235/169/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Welcome back! I think most of us "backslide" (old Southern Baptist term) from time to time. Janet (JEY100) always gives great tips and links. Follow her advice, read up.

I'm in a 5 pound weight loss challenge and a January daily weigh-in group. Come join us if you would like. Some people prefer to get on the scale less often than every day, but you can still pop in and see how others are doing for encouragement.

Best of luck to you!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-10-16, 07:39
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you everyone for your encouragement. I appreciate your words of wisdom and learning from the past is something I definitely want to do. I've had the most success when I planned out my menu in great detail and knew exactly what I was going to eat and when. I think I faltered in the past when that planning went awry because life got crazy and it was not made a priority.

The challenge that I have this go around is my work hours. I start a little bit later in the morning and will finish work and be home at night around 8:30-9pm. I run a route so I'm trying to figure out my meals still at this point. I have not officially started yet because there is a big change happening at work this month with our routes plus we're smack dab in the middle of the NFL playoffs, lol, so I was going to wait until the beginning of Feb then I'm off to the races.

I know that working until that time of the night doesn't really allow me to have a large dinner. I'll have time to have a nice breakfast but lunch is what I'm worried about. As I mentioned I'll be on my route so I won't be able to have a hot lunch which really bums me out. I've already accepted the fact that a decent sized salad will be a major part of my lunches. I've thought about using a lettuce wrap around lunch meat too. Certain days of the week I might be close to a burger place where I can get a couple of patties minus the bread and ketchup and everything but mustard of course and that will help bulk up my lunch. I'm still in the planning stages of what I'm go to eat and when. Can anyone recommend a specific forum thread where it would be appropriate to post an eating plan/menu with the goal of getting some feedback on it?

Thanks again everyone!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-10-16, 08:41

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

You are so not alone! Welcome back, and good thoughts.
Quote:
I'm still in the planning stages of what I'm going to eat and when.
You do well to take some time to plan out your strategy and allow for current life events. When you do get going, you'll have a strong sense of purpose. Of course, that purpose is to re-educate yourself for a lifetime way of eating that FITS INTO your life. So many of us derail when life gets...interesting. The idea is to stand in the way with a plan that works in spite of obstacles.

Best wishes.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-10-16, 08:44

Point 7 on the habit sheet above, Loophole Spotting, is so much fun. What a classic Tomorrow Loophole you have !
http://gretchenrubin.com/happiness_...orrow-loophole/

NFL playoffs? ..how many games and weeks is that? Don't forget the College playoffs tomorrow and baseball playoffs this summer. And they all repeat every year. Holidays, your birthday, National cheesecake day, whatever at some point you need to start and make it a lifestyle.

There are many low carb foods perfect for Game day snacks, just as there are cold or room temperature meals you can pack, or put something hot in a thermos, but yes, you have to plan ahead for them. Meat and cheese roll-ups are great, so much variety. Anything can go in a wide mouth thermos.

Check the recipe section for quick meals and snacks..LC wings, ribs, cheese, salami, olives etc.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=40

Post your menu ideas in the Atkins section, there are some similar threads already: http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98

For a really simple weekly menu, check what this guy did:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/...bilebasic?pli=1

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Jan-10-16 at 10:12.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-10-16, 10:17
Registered Member

BF:

Janet I love ya already! I can tell you're one to call people on their BS...I love it. To be totally honest, all the other sports playoffs I could care less about. But I will certainly take your points into consideration.

A thermos! I didn't think of that...although the only thing that I can think of that would go in there is soup and I know that's a no-no for the most part. (if I remember correctly) But I'm going to check out your other links now. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Point 7 on the habit sheet above, Loophole Spotting, is so much fun. What a classic Tomorrow Loophole you have !
http://gretchenrubin.com/happiness_...orrow-loophole/

NFL playoffs? ..how many games and weeks is that? Don't forget the College playoffs tomorrow and baseball playoffs this summer. And they all repeat every year. Holidays, your birthday, National cheesecake day, whatever at some point you need to start and make it a lifestyle.

There are many low carb foods perfect for Game day snacks, just as there are cold or room temperature meals you can pack, or put something hot in a thermos, but yes, you have to plan ahead for them. Meat and cheese roll-ups are great, so much variety. Anything can go in a wide mouth thermos.

Check the recipe section for quick meals and snacks..LC wings, ribs, cheese, salami, olives etc.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=40

Post your menu ideas in the Atkins section, there are some similar threads already: http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98

For a really simple weekly menu, check what this guy did:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/...bilebasic?pli=1
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-10-16, 10:43
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

If the journey was an easy one, we wouldn't all still be here. I started Atkins in 1972 and I'm still "in the battle," so to speak. We all start over, some of us more than others (and I do mean ME) but the only sin in that is to give up and never start over again.

Look. I can always find an excuse to eat carb-age. All of us can. The secret to the success of this WOE is never to give up trying.

You're young. But, take my word for it, when you're my age you want to be healthy. The alternative is all around you. When you're in the supermarket and you see those old fat people riding around on the carts, you probably ignore them. That will never be YOU. Guess what? It can be you.

So put on your big-boy pants and get with the program. This is a great forum and the people here will help you when you fall, but only if you try.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jan-10-16, 12:24
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Glenda! That was awesome! It's funny you say that I'm young because I feel old in some ways. It's all relative I guess. And you're right, I do not want to be one of those people riding a shopping cart! Now excuse me while I go put my big boy underwear, pants, & T shirt on. Also, go Seahawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
If the journey was an easy one, we wouldn't all still be here. I started Atkins in 1972 and I'm still "in the battle," so to speak. We all start over, some of us more than others (and I do mean ME) but the only sin in that is to give up and never start over again.

Look. I can always find an excuse to eat carb-age. All of us can. The secret to the success of this WOE is never to give up trying.

You're young. But, take my word for it, when you're my age you want to be healthy. The alternative is all around you. When you're in the supermarket and you see those old fat people riding around on the carts, you probably ignore them. That will never be YOU. Guess what? It can be you.

So put on your big-boy pants and get with the program. This is a great forum and the people here will help you when you fall, but only if you try.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jan-10-16, 13:08

BF:

See why I hang out here? Other people are "meaner" than I am and keep me on the straight and narrow(er). You've heard from two (at least) of the best. Do what they say!

And by the way, Go Chiefs!! I think they are in competition with the Royals for a championship in the "other" sport, so look out!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jan-11-16, 05:44

Mean? Can't imagine that thank you waterboy for understanding the loophole spotting. If Super Bowl is Feb 7th, writing off 1/10 of 2016 as being impossible to low carb seemed to be a very extended "tomorrow".

Looking on Amazon, turns out what I meant is called a Thermos "Food Jar" now. A 16oz food jar could hold a lot of hot casserole! Make big casseroles like that Reddit guy did, reheat it very hot in the morning, fill the food jar for lunch. Must try Clackslaw
Roll-ups can be any deli meat, with any soft or sliced cheese, around any veg, e.g. Roast beef, Swiss wrapped around a pickle, or ham wrapped around a cream cheese stuffed celery. Keep all the usual LC snacks in your truck...pork rinds, nuts(careful with amount), cheese and pepperoni sticks, jerky, etc. Start now and some higher carbs snacks on game days, while not perfect, will have a temporary impact. And there are low carb beers

Not a fan of pork rinds myself but Kristie from cooking Keto made a LC "Chex Mix" which is quite clever.
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCFGt_87bzlJXHxzvsU8leOQ

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Jan-11-16 at 06:37.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jan-11-16, 06:45
Registered Member

BF:

A food thermos! That is the best news I've ever heard! I kind of forgot that those existed. I am totally psyched now! Maybe I can switch it around and have my hot lunch while working and have the salad when I get home at night because there won't be much time from after I get home to when I go to bed. I don't want to put on a heavy meal before going to sleep so this could work great! Thank you so much! I will head to Wally World tonight to see what they have for food thermoses.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jan-11-16, 08:20

BF:

Of course Janet knows I'm kidding about being "mean." She's one of the best resource providers ever. I don't know how she keeps track of all the helpful links she sends out.

On this forum, we do tend to sort out the wannabe's from the people seriously interested in change. Some folks have a never-ending list of excuses. After a while, there's no point in having a conversation. Some folks disappear pretty fast, not only after January, but all the time.

So...you can do this! Best wishes.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jan-11-16, 09:01
Registered Member

BF:

Barbara... I appreciate your words. I can see how it would be very frustrating helping people only to have them disappear without doing anything. I know in my heart what I need to do, want to do, have to do. But I will save that and let my actions speak for themselves. It's easy to talk about it but pulling the trigger is a whole other thing. There are some major changes happening at work that could affect me in a big way and I guess I'm kind of waiting for that shoe to drop. I know sometimes starting something new when there are major life changes can be a recipe for disaster. But I may end up starting earlier than my original date anyway. At any rate it is awesome to feel such support and I appreciate it more than you know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
Of course Janet knows I'm kidding about being "mean." She's one of the best resource providers ever. I don't know how she keeps track of all the helpful links she sends out.

On this forum, we do tend to sort out the wannabe's from the people seriously interested in change. Some folks have a never-ending list of excuses. After a while, there's no point in having a conversation. Some folks disappear pretty fast, not only after January, but all the time.

So...you can do this! Best wishes.