Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-22-03, 09:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 159/142/128 Female 5'4.5
BF:have no clue
Progress: 55%
Default a couple questions (belly button & stomach cramps)

Just wondering if anyone had some thought on this: I have a re-occuring infection in my belly button - red, itchy leaky (so gross, i know) I went to see my dr. about it last year and she gave me an antibiotic & also diflucan, it went away for about 6 months. Recently (the past 3 months) it has come back again. The only way I can get it to temporarily go away is to do a salt water soak like everyday. My doctor wants me to see a dermatologist now.

My second problem is that sometimes at night I have horrible, wicked stomach cramps to the point of vomiting (about once a month), My doctor wants me to have an endoscopy done - they think it may be a left over gaull stone stuck in the common bile duct (I had my gaull bladder removed 3 years ago).

Before I do any of these things I was wondering if anyone has experienced the same symptoms as myself. No doctor has mentioned anything about the possibility of a yeast overgrowth.

PS: I rarely if ever get a yeast infection, (haven't had one in 5 years) but when I do I have to go the doctor because it's fierce

Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 10:53

Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%

When I first had a yeast infection, no doctors knew what it was and I was vomiting. They had me in the hospital for 10 days with a fever of 103 (my body was obviously aware of the problem and was trying to fight it). They had me on a liquid diet and I improved (I was ingesting salt broth and sugary liquids). Then they put me on a soft dairy diet and I immediately got much worse (I now know it was because of my dairy allergy). They must have poked and prodded (I did not allow a Barium meal though) in all kinds of places and found nothing. They discharged me with an ulcer and zantac - what a joke! By the way, I NEVER had a burning stomach - so the fact that they said *ulcer* made me laugh in their faces.

Long story but what I was trying to say is this: my stomach would get very upset and I would vomit about once a week. The rest of the week was a roller coaster ride of nausea and intestinal cramps and I was a mere 29 years old with no history of health problems.

My belly button gets very itchy and irritated from time to time. I'm almost tempted to speculate that your belly button is oozing to relieve you of some body poisons (after all, it is a part of the intestine). Be careful about the antibiotics with the antibiotic happy doctors. I think you should seek medical attention but TRY to seek out a doc that knows a lot about the candida and approach it from that point of view but make sure you don't have gall bladder issues and such. Remember, most recovery from candida happens with what you do and do not put in your mouth. I take 200 mg of diflucan (I'm supposed to take it twice a week but I feel so ANGRY when I take it, that I only take it once a month). Even my wonderful Doc knows SPARE little about candida and doesn't even know enough to say "avoid eating sugars." He only knew to say "ingest psyllium husks, sugar free is preferable" (only after he had the opportunity to refer to some material). Actually the sugar free has sugar in it so it is NOT preferable. PURE psyllium husk is the only way to go
Be sure to look into your belly button issue but be mindful that if the doc doesn't seem to know exactly what it is, he shouldn't be pushing a pill at you.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-07, 19:46

Stats: 225/225/140 Female 5'8'
BF:
Progress: 0%

My systemic yeast infections started with my cancer, transitional cell carsinoma. I had wild symptoms; ooze coming from my belly bottem, burning under my finger nails and toe nails, sores under my breast, and iching in my under arms and ass. Numerous doctors said I was upset because I had cancer.

To make a long years story short, I went to a allergist who said I was allerigic to bakers yeast, corn, dairy, eggs, soy, peanuts, and more. I ended up at a health nutritionalist and he put me on a diet, basically the Atkins Diet with anti yeast pills. I was cured in 2 weeks. THANK GOD!
It has been five years and I have it again, I am starting the diet and pills tomorrow.