Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 23:31
Registered Member

Plan: Protein power, low fat, low carb
Stats: 118/111/100 Female 5'6
BF:13%
Progress: 39%
Question Sugar free candy durring introduction?

Ok, I know it is not really allowed, but has anyone else allowed themself sugar free candies durring introduction without any problems? I know I shouldn't eat it at all cus it gives me stomach problems and gas... but sometimes I just can't resist, but am willing to give it up if it will really truly screw up my weight loss... any comments on this?

Thanks! Jessica
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 00:01

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 283/179/150 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 78%

I have not eaten sugar free candies until after induction, during induction I mistakenly ate some low carb bars which have similar ingredients to those candies.

Well to get to the point, I did not lose very much on induction considering how much I want to lose. Want to lose total 130 pounds. Lost on induction 6 pounds, which is not as much as most needing to lose that much.

Also, the point of induction is to get your body away from being used to eating those type of things and so just give yourself a break from it for a while.

Lastly, if you eat too many of those fake sugars, your body can start to use those sugars as real ones, which would be bad.

Good luck! Don't worry you won't miss them in a few days!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 02:06
Registered Member

Plan: Protein power, low fat, low carb
Stats: 118/111/100 Female 5'6
BF:13%
Progress: 39%

Hey thanks Etoiles, ... I kinda figured that. Maybe I should just get rid of my candy? I spent so much money on it though, I hate to just throw it away. What about diet sodas, and diet sugar free kool-aid and such? I have to have diet sodas... I'd go crazy without them, and my new favorite drink... shaved ice with divinci sugar free syrups YUuMm!

jess
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 04:23
Yo-Yo

Plan: Lighter Life
Stats: 284/234/167 Female 5 foot 10 inchs
BF:yes very!!!
Progress: 43%

Hi Jess
Dont through away your candy keep it until after induction and have everyonce in a while as a treat!!
People say diet drinks are a no no and so if caffiene as it can stall weight, to be honest I went without it for a while and I couldnt cope I needed a vice so I have started using them again and It so far so good no stallls!! (not that I am saying it will be the same for you as we a re all different!!
Well done on your weight loss your doing great!!

Good luck
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 08:59

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 236/207/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 38%

some things may stall some people but not others. You will get to know your body and how it tolerates different things. Candy or bars may stall some but may have no affect on you. Good Luck
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 10:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 283/275/250 Male 5ft11
BF:
Progress:

I took microbiology this last semester. If you look at the ingredients, under carbs, something like manitol is still a sugar, but it's not you're traditional C6H12O6, so the teacher said it can be called sugar free, but it's still a sugar.

I'd try to determine that the hidden carbs way (calories minus 9 times grams of fat minus four times the sugar, divide answer by 4 to get hidden carbs)
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 10:53

Stats: 215/165/145 Female 5'9
BF:26%
Progress: 71%
Hi! I'm wondering the same thing. Eating the Advantage bars seemed not to be a problem but I'm not really sure since I still haven't completely given them up.......Good luck!
Jessica

*****Proud mommy of Gabriella & Sophia*****
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-15-05, 00:02

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/175/158 Female 5'10"
BF:I am 5'10" tall
Progress: 57%
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleA
I took microbiology this last semester. If you look at the ingredients, under carbs, something like manitol is still a sugar, but it's not you're traditional C6H12O6, so the teacher said it can be called sugar free, but it's still a sugar.

I'd try to determine that the hidden carbs way (calories minus 9 times grams of fat minus four times the sugar, divide answer by 4 to get hidden carbs)

thanks...
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Mar-19-05, 12:27

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 255/245/210 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 22%
Thumbs up Bars & Processed Foods = Wt Gain

I am on induction for the third time, and it is finally working. I am 6 weeks into it and have lost 18 lbs.

I also fell into the same fake sugar trap, the zero carb ice creams, the net carb marketing scams. It's tough but we need to move away from these products they are not good for you , stall weight loss, possibly cause you to gain weight and are way to expensive.

On my third induction I dropped my intake to ONLY eggs, meat and the correct vegetables . . and finally after 6 days the test strips turned red and I started dropping weight.

I used to say I am one of those people who do not get "fully" into Ketosis . . A load of crap, I was eating hidden carbs that’s all. Be true to yourself, your body will fight it ( hunger, weak, cravings ) for the first week but WILL come around trust me. The pay off, your hunger will go away and you will become healthy? Like NIKE Just Do IT!

Stay with the simple plan people and don't be fooled by slick marketing.

Logan
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Mar-19-05, 15:18

Plan: restrt Atkns 2/10/05 ~218
Stats: 230/186/120 Female 65 inches
BF:don't/rub/itin
Progress: 40%
Default Keep Induction Pure and Simple!

I've gotta agree 100% with Logan: keep your induction pure and simple. Give your SF candy to a homeless shelter, and feel great that someone else is having the treat. The plain fact is, induction is a two-week (or more) job that you have to buckle down for. As lovely as it is to have this fabulous support board, losing big-time weight is something that needs courage, discipline, and commitment from the very deepest part of your being. And if all else fails, hold the candy in your hand while you take off all your clothes and look in a mirror. If you're anything like me, the sight of that little itty-bitty piece of candy next to my 8-months-pregnant-looking gut will be enough to make you drop the candy down an elevator shaft and eat a hard-boiled egg instead.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Mar-19-05, 15:52
Starting Over

Stats: 175/169/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Atkins Adavantage bars are allowed on Induction, I ate them both times I did atkins and lost weight just fine. Others say they stall them, it's probably better to go w/o them but for me, that was not an option. I couldn't afford to got out and get eggs/bacon and I am always rushing out the door. Hope that helps!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Mar-20-05, 13:18

Plan: Dr. Atkins & M & E fast
Stats: 160/153/140 Female 5ft7inces and 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default I was still purple:)

Hi!

Without reading everyone elses answers to you, I will just add my bit here...
I have had some sugarless chocolate from a chocolate shop, and my ketostix were still purple!!!!!! They make sugarless stuff taste way better these days!!!!!!!
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Mar-20-05, 13:27

Stats: 212/174/155 Female 5'11"
BF:size 18/12-14/8
Progress: 67%

Quote:
I couldn't afford to got out and get eggs/bacon
You can't afford to go out and get eggs and bacon yet you can afford at least $1 on an Advantage bar??? You can get 2 dozen eggs and a pack of bacon that will last you a week compared to no more than 5 advantage bars...what an excuse.

The bars are allowed on the new atkins induction offered by the ever money grubbing atkins nutritionals. Just because they say they're allowed does not mean they're ok. 90% of the people on Atkins who have allowed themselves to use the bars will tell you it hampered their weightloss efforts and if you're on your 2nd time or more around I would look at why it didn't work the first time and remember that what did work the first time may not work the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc.....

Jessica...You say you aren't doing Atkins so you need to decide for yourself what you're going to allow. The sf candies and bars most definately hamper weightloss. They cause cravings as well as you're getting in many more carbs than what they like to put as "net" on the package.

Remember, the point of induction is to get rid of all the bad cravings. You're cutting your foods down to the bare minimums for two weeks to accomplish this. The best way to get rid of the sweet craving is to starve it, not replace it.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Mar-20-05, 14:28

Plan: yes
Stats: 14/14/14 Female 20
BF:
Progress: 101%

I'm a purist. I say no. Eating treats was probably a contributing factor to why you're here -- if you simply replace your current treats with sugar free treats, it's likely you'll eat far too many of them (especially considering you have a sizeable stash, from the sounds of it, to dispose of already), and you're not going to make the progress you're hoping to. It's entirely your prerogative, of course, but I know I won't be the one to tell you it's okay -- I don't believe it is.
d.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Mar-20-05, 15:13

Plan: Dr. Atkins & M & E fast
Stats: 160/153/140 Female 5ft7inces and 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default Recipies in Old Atkins book

But Easter is coming...j/K

I dont know about the new book, but Atkins old book there are some recipies for treats if you really need to have them....Plus doesnt vitamin B complex balanced, help with sugar cravings?
When I need a sweet fix..I have decaf tea or coffee with whipping cream, and low carb sweetner....I think you can have low carb jello too.