Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 09:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 148/148/126 Female 5 feet 5
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default MIXED fast!

Hello all!
i've been stalled at 147 pounds since MAY!!!! - but i'm plodding on, tweaking here and there and sooner or later it will come off!
Anyway, the thing is that i'm on bridesmaid duty on 18th october and so need to lose some weight FAST! - even if it goes straight back on the day after i'm not bothered!
To cut a long story short i've been thinking of doing some sort of fast, i have done the fat fast before and it was successful however i couldnt imagine it being exactly palatable for 5 days a week for 4 weeks SO i have decided on a MIXED FAST type of thing;
Monday - Dr a's Fat Fast
tuesday - stillmans pure meat/fish/egg fast
wednesday - Dr a's Fat Fast
Thursday - stillmans pure meat/fish/egg fast
Friday - strict induction, meat/fish with salad/veg
saturday - induction
sunday - induction

What do you all think? - does anyone have any better ideas?!

thanks!

Ax
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 19:01

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default A couple of thoughts...

I do not know how much you want to loose, but neither of those plans were designed for or promised fast fat loose, but to start/recharge a process.
There are many ways to loose huge amount of water, but your body will not shrink. (I assume you want VISIBLE lost.)
Even if you can loose let see 20 lbs fat, because of the short time there is a big chance that your skin will not shrink as fast, so your visible weight lost will be less impressive as you want. Other problem, you cannot predict where you will lost that weight.

Regarding your mix plan: if you are on high fat fast on one day and no fat fast on another day how will your body know what way it should be loose fat?

I am sure you do not want to hear more from somebody who never tried these fasts, so I would recommend do a search for "fast" - and you can find many members trying these methods, even ones who tried to mix them.

For example if you check the Oil Fast thread, you will see Homesar's experience, who did something similar (mixing fast with induction).
As you can see he lost less and less as time went by, and the induction was enough only to maintain his weight.
FF1: seven days, lost 8 pounds
__17 days on induction, maintained weight
FF2: four days, lost 5 pounds
__11 days in induction, maintained
FF3: four days, lost 3 pounds

You can see many similar experience from fasting people, the amount of weight they are loosing decreases very fast day by day.

Ok, this is your choice, I only wanted to share my thoughts/readings.

Last edited by Galadriell : Mon, Sep-22-03 at 19:29.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 21:20
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 176/154/121 Female 175cm
BF:
Progress: 40%

i know i'll be given shit for giving you this advice but in emergency cases i use the egg fast. eat 10 eggs a day and i garentee you'll lose weigh FAST!
when i went on it i lost 8lbs in 4 days, fantastic! i did put it back on cuz i binged on carbs for 3 days, but i'm about to go on it again cuz its nearly summer over hear.

the problem with this scheme is that not everyone can cope with just eating eggs, but i guess it depends on how much you want to lose the weight.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 07:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/193/150 Male 5' 7"
BF:BMI 36.8/32/23.5
Progress: 49%

Dear Galadriell and others reading this,

Galadriell quotes one of my posts in the thread "Oil Fast:"

For example if you check the Oil Fast thread, you will see Homesar's experience, who did something similar (mixing fast with induction).
As you can see he lost less and less as time went by, and the induction was enough only to maintain his weight.
FF1: seven days, lost 8 pounds
__17 days on induction, maintained weight
FF2: four days, lost 5 pounds
__11 days in induction, maintained
FF3: four days, lost 3 pounds

You can see many similar experience from fasting people, the amount of weight they are loosing decreases very fast day by day.

Galadriell draws a conclusion from the data I offered which turns out to be incorrect in my case. Since I posted that data, I have done one more fat fast (and am beginning yet another one today). In the most recent fat fast, I was on it for six days and lost six pounds. What this additional data suggests (at least for how fat fasts work on my metabolism) is this -- that I get a bigger bang for my fasting buck if I make sure the fast is five or six days.

This might be confirmed by the color of my ketostix, which show small to moderate ketone leves at the beginning of the fat fast (which is to be expected, since I'm already in ketosis when I begin the fat fast), but on day five the ketostick turns very dark purple and remains that way for the remainder of the fast. I do not know if ketone levels correlate with the amount of fat burning going on -- so I hesitate to draw any certain conclusions. IF there is a correlation, then the data suggests I am burning more fat later in the fat fast than in its beginning.

This, then, would account for the data Galadriell quoted from my earlier post -- i was losing less on each fat fast (for those three consecutive times) because I was doing each fat fast for a shorter and shorter period of time. Once I did a fat fast for at least five days (six days, actually), my resultant weight loss was pretty much what it was for the first fat fast -- slightly over a pound a day of weight loss.

Homesar