Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#181   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-20, 06:40

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 81%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyDawn
I meant coffee beans, I'm a gourmet coffee bean snob

With the spices it makes almost a gravy texture? I've also been using steak sauce with the steaks but have been able to almost completely cut that out, (maybe 1tsp per steak now), so I think I'll work on eliminating that first, then evaluate the avocado oil usage (around 1tbsp of oil per steak right now).

Love your outlook on carnivore as listed above, definitely makes sense to me that things like spices would still be ok, since they're such a small part of the overall picture!

omg coffee beans! that is too funny....I kinda scratched my head and thought 'beans?' hmmm,,,,

yea they are a very small part but can enhance your food so much that you are in love with your meats and stay happy. but as always just watch it all and go with your taste as you need.

sounds like you are doing wonderful!
Sponsored Links
  #182   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-20, 06:44

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tess9132
I drink plain green tea in the mornings. I don't think it's affecting me adversely, so I doubt I'll give it up. I've come by a carnivore diet very naturally as it's been my preference since going low carb.

Yup. I was like that with tea for a while. I relied on it as my 'go to hot drink to sip' and I found, all of the sudden, it became very bitter in my mouth. Then I got this weirdo like 'numbness' in my mouth from drinking tea. That is about the time I gave it up. I would always order unsweet tea out and loved it til that day it started going weirdo on me. I don't know why but I just dropped it then and never looked back. Would be interesting to see if you change on it also?? huh

I was like you. I went into this from LC into extreme low carb and I loved Akins original 1972 induction plan. One day I was like, why eat a small salad with my steak when I can eat shrimp I gear toward meat/seafood my whole life. I find this plan very natural for me also.

Great post Tess!
  #183   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-20, 06:47

BF:

ohhhh PilotGal ya sound so busy!
ugh, feel for you!

I don't like feeling a bit out of control of my foods. I rely on having more control to keep me of sound mind HAHA I hope you are doing ok tho!!

I am like you, I like things available in the fridge to grab and I like eating at home vs. restaurant purchases....but hey if it comes to that then do what ya gotta do!!
  #184   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-20, 06:54

BF:

I am like Tess, what she wrote about how my food changes.

I loved pork. Now I rarely have it. I find myself truly gearing toward 1 ribeye steak a day.....I need a 1 pounder to make me happy.....after that my food changes up to whatever suits me.

I seem to be in that pattern more now.

It is ok to love burger then hate it. It is ok to love eggs than ditch them. We all walk thru those foods we love best, how we do on them and how we fit cooking etc. into our lives.

I find now, since I have been carnivore for a long time......I settle on beef as my mainstay. Seafood hits second. I love the old surf and turf meal LOL Just suits me.

I need to desperately find some sales on ribeye. Full cost is out of the question, I got to hit some decent sales. One store has them on sale for 7.99/lb but darn I wish I could find the 5.99/lb sale again. Will grab a few to stock up.

A lot of veteran carnivores say the walked thru the meat and seafood and found their loves they rely on and ones they found they wanted to eat more and more. I find that is happening to me. A ribeye is a must each day in my life now. I find I need it, want it, desire it. I am now seeing what the long term carnivores mean by that info they put out there.....before I was more...eat eggs, steak, pork, chicken, seafood combos but lately I am whittling down to an even tighter control on my meat/seafood choices.

Which I find oddly comforting?? I love simple, easy. Not a cook ever.....so I guess it suits me. I thought I was a 'variety' gal in my food intake but more I just stay carnivore I find I don't require that variety so that I think is a good thing happening to me

Have errands and more today.....when I get home I will eat about a 1 pounder ribeye and then go from there and see what else I will want. probably shrimp later.

so doing well on carnivore and I love having you other carnivores to chat with!!!! It is nice to connect with those that eat the way you do and they do so well on this plan
  #185   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-20, 07:20
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

back in the mid 2000's when I was full on Carnivore, I used to buy whole ribeyes or whole NY strip loins.. Put them on wire racks in the fridge and dry age it as I ate off each end.. Everytime it was meal time, I would pull the loin out and cut a hunk off one end. next meal, I cut off a hunk, at the other end..
it was both economical and convenient...
Now.. I question the quality of the beef coming in.
I bought a couple of steaks not too long ago and they were tough.
other times they melted in my mouth, so buying the whole loin is no longer an option for me.. I'm too sensitive to tough vs tender and moneywise.
  #186   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-20, 08:23

Plan: Higher P/Moderate F + C
Stats: 152/146.6/130 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 25%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirrlly
I am like Tess, what she wrote about how my food changes.

I loved pork. Now I rarely have it. I find myself truly gearing toward 1 ribeye steak a day.....I need a 1 pounder to make me happy.....after that my food changes up to whatever suits me.

I seem to be in that pattern more now.

It is ok to love burger then hate it. It is ok to love eggs than ditch them. We all walk thru those foods we love best, how we do on them and how we fit cooking etc. into our lives.

I find now, since I have been carnivore for a long time......I settle on beef as my mainstay. Seafood hits second. I love the old surf and turf meal LOL Just suits me.

I need to desperately find some sales on ribeye. Full cost is out of the question, I got to hit some decent sales. One store has them on sale for 7.99/lb but darn I wish I could find the 5.99/lb sale again. Will grab a few to stock up.

A lot of veteran carnivores say the walked thru the meat and seafood and found their loves they rely on and ones they found they wanted to eat more and more. I find that is happening to me. A ribeye is a must each day in my life now. I find I need it, want it, desire it. I am now seeing what the long term carnivores mean by that info they put out there.....before I was more...eat eggs, steak, pork, chicken, seafood combos but lately I am whittling down to an even tighter control on my meat/seafood choices.

Which I find oddly comforting?? I love simple, easy. Not a cook ever.....so I guess it suits me. I thought I was a 'variety' gal in my food intake but more I just stay carnivore I find I don't require that variety so that I think is a good thing happening to me

Have errands and more today.....when I get home I will eat about a 1 pounder ribeye and then go from there and see what else I will want. probably shrimp later.

so doing well on carnivore and I love having you other carnivores to chat with!!!! It is nice to connect with those that eat the way you do and they do so well on this plan

I'm finding this is true for me as well. I've never had a rib-eye, because of the cost, so I've bounced around between 'petite' steaks at Aldi, to similar 'sizzler' style steaks at a couple of local butcher shops. I've tried other cuts of beef like skirt, roasts etc but keep coming back to the petite/sizzlers. I've refined it even further and try and only get it at the one butcher shop now, since the quality just seems better than the others. They also run decent sales and I just picked up a few for $4.99lb. I have 4 in the freezer and one defrosting in the fridge for tomorrow. I really need to stock up though when it hits that price and get enough for at least a month, since it goes up quite a bit when it's not on sale.

I have shrimp and salmon in the freezer as well, I keep forgetting about it though! I already have my meal plan for today, but maybe I'll add shrimp with my steak tomorrow
  #187   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-20, 18:40

BF:

DD, 4.99/lb is a good deal for a good steak. If you love them and that price hikes up a lot, yea I would get enough to hold for a bit if you find you are really relying on them.

That is me with the ribeye. When that sale hit 5.99/lb I should have grabbed more. Darn it, I only bought so many cause at some point ya go gun shy on these costs but if I eat it and love it? ugh...…

oh heck yea you need to get out that shrimp with your steak...yum

plus the shrimp and salmon, well along with all of it in the freezer should be used before you forget for too long. I found a bag of shrimp at the bottom of my freezer and steamed them up and they basically fell apart HAHA Couldn't eat them, they were just freezer burned beyond who knows what but I was interested to see how they would cook. Not good

I find I need to rotate the freezer more when I do stock it up. I don't ever want to lose food to freezer burn ya know. I paid too much for the darn stuff HA
  #188   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-20, 18:43

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotGal
back in the mid 2000's when I was full on Carnivore, I used to buy whole ribeyes or whole NY strip loins.. Put them on wire racks in the fridge and dry age it as I ate off each end.. Everytime it was meal time, I would pull the loin out and cut a hunk off one end. next meal, I cut off a hunk, at the other end..
it was both economical and convenient...
Now.. I question the quality of the beef coming in.
I bought a couple of steaks not too long ago and they were tough.
other times they melted in my mouth, so buying the whole loin is no longer an option for me.. I'm too sensitive to tough vs tender and moneywise.

I so get you on this post. One of the last times I bought a whole ribeye from my meat guy....on sale at a good price and they cut them into just under a one inch cut and I got a lot of steaks and I have to say they were horrible. Just so tough I was shocked. I was mad at the cost I paid....mad they sucked and after 'testing' them over and over I just threw out a bunch of steaks and said I am done.

I have to say I haven't bought a full sized cut because of that. I mean if ya get crap? At least if I buy smaller packaged amts I am only held to those cuts, chances so far I have been getting great steaks but every now and then I get that yuk one LOL irks me to no end.

I wish I could afford the best of the best.....I just gotta weed thru the sales best I can and do what I can for me when I walk across sales.

I guess it is all we can do. Hope for the best we buy
  #189   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-20, 07:34

BF:

got a l lb. ribeye steak to eat later when hungry

and big decision is eat a ton of shrimp later with some delish alfredo sauce I make or just eat a darn whole 1 lb. pack of bacon.

oh boy I live so rough ya know HAHA

Kinda in my carnivore zone right now so that is always a good thing for me.

I truly need some good meat/seafood sales. Still looking very hard to hit some and fill the freezer up a bit more. I feel safe then
  #190   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-20, 10:41
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

In 2006, my hygienist was putting antibiotic chips down my gums.
My dentist told me my gums were bad, my teeth were loose, the hygienist used to put a numbing solution on my gums before cleaning them..
Dentist sent me to a periodontist and he wanted to pull most of my teeth, do bone grafting and implants and give me dentures..

That's when I had begun reading Good Calories, Bad Calories, by Gary Taubes.
I was also involved with someone that didn't eat meat, and I chose to follow along with a lot of carbs..

That was the beginning of going Carnivore for 6 yrs solidly..
Been eating mostly meat since 1973, but along with 20 grams of carbs...
but after going Carnivore for 6 good solid years, I went to my hygienist one day and she told me I had no pockets, my teeth were strong and tight, no inflammation and it didn't look like I needed to have teeth pulled.

This morning, I have just returned from my cleaning...
she told me I don't bleed, my gums looks strong and pink, tight teeth, no pockets.. my teeth barely had any tartar. she showed me the little tiny cotton swab that she wipes her picks on.. and she told me there was barely anything on the swab.. she said, "you should see what I pick out of people's teeth."

Staying away from carbs, sugar, grains.... fast food and anything else that is not healthy to the human body rewards us with a healthy mouth.

I'm good for another 6 months...

I do not use toothpaste.
I brush my teeth with a combination of coconut oil, mixed with baking soda. it sits in a little jar on the counter..
i whiten my teeth every other week with activated charcoal....
i pick my teeth with a dental poker and I floss after every meal.

and that's my routine....
  #191   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-20, 19:37

Plan: My own
Stats: 238/187/175 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress:

Hi all,

Whirlly is a good old LC pal of mine. We do it differently---I do not live on meat alone--- but we've been together on our need to cut the carbs for a VERY long time.

PilotGal---I was very interested to read your post on your teeth. That is something not often mentioned in the many rewards of LC, but something I too have experienced.

I have had almost no cavities, or gum bleeding for years now, which I attribute to LC, because it's the only thing I really changed in my life that is sensible to believe made the change.

It's amazing really. I'm no spring chicken, but knock on wood, it's been years since I've had a tooth ache. Like almost the same amount of years as I've been doing LC.

Not always on plan, have my times off the wagon here and there, but I always get back on. I just think it's very interesting that both you and I have seen what a LC diet---even if not perfect---does in terms of tooth and gum decay. As I said, I don't hear this mentioned much, and until I read your post was wondering if I was the only one who was thinking, hey, this must be because of my LC lifestyle.

So thanx for your post on this. I really think it's true, but y'know how it is, it will take years and years of dental research to prove this, and we aren't even there yet for the rest of our body. Fat phobia is alive and well. Still.
  #192   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-20, 19:45

Plan: My own
Stats: 238/187/175 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress:

Oh, and I too use activated charcoal several times a week. My tube came w/a VERY soft brush---you more rub it in than scrub it in---the scrubbing can scrape away at your enamel, which tends to thin as we age.

I do use toothpaste too---but in very small amounts and mostly to just get rid of the "black cracks" that charcoal toothpaste can leave. If I'm not going out, I don't bother w/it. But if I am, I do a soft rinse w/toothpaste to remove the black that gathers between your teeth.

Think many are not aware that activated charcoal tooth paste exists, and what its benefits are. Have to say having done a variety of teeth whitener stuff, this charcoal tooth paste works better than any of it w/out sitting w/some funky thing on your teeth.
  #193   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-20, 07:21

BF:

PilotGal….wow that is a great report to put out there about how your body has healed its teeth troubles. I agree so much things like this aren't talked about much, it is like...hey my teeth are better! Everyone wants to hear weight loss etc but things like this are just wonderful when one reports them.

I say on carnivore the body heals so well. Yea it might take time for all of it to correct on us each personally, but well worth it SO much!!

Thanks for all the good info about the activated charcoal for whitening....I never heard that, I will go check it out.

6 yrs carnivore....you rule!!! I am right there with you
  #194   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-20, 07:23

BF:

HI BLUE
nice to see you over here! Loved your post!

and very cool chat about the teeth like I mentioned above.

It is amazing how much cutting the crap from our daily lives gives us such great benefits.

I tell ya girl that sugar is the devil of all things wrong with people. Sugar intake so high as we have gotten in this food world is just evil. Wrecks us so much. In big ways and thru a ton of sneaky small ways like extra dental troubles, of course our waistline and just making us feel icky and sluggy.

LC etc. rocks! No doubt about that.

Last edited by Whirrlly : Fri, Jan-17-20 at 07:29.
  #195   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-20, 07:29

BF:

I am loving this carnivore thread!!!!

Such good smart knowledgeable people posting on it and all finding great benefits and doing so well. Wonderful.

I feel SO bloaty. Not drinking much water lately cause being winter I drink less. So will drink more Summer I drink SO much, winter I just do less and less but I know my body needs it and wants it so will make sure I get good water.

So figuring I feel so bloaty and I feel just stuffed and poochy, I figure I have to be....up like 5lbs. I swear......I get on the scale and I am down .4

DOWN .4 when I feel so huge!

I love carnivore to the max. No kidding. The body might feel bloaty from my salty day yesterday but it doesn't effect my weight loss at all.

Carbs effect that. Yea sodium can hold some water obviously in the body but your body uses sodium so different when there are no carbs in your body and there is no sodium bloat PLUS carb bloat hitched together.

sounds good to me HAHA

So I was shocked I feel so bloated up and feel like I gained weight and yet I lost weight.

Darn if carnivore ain't the bomb!

food yesterday was

10 oz flank steak
5 slices bacon with melted cheddar
12 oz ribeye steak

Flank steak...it was ok but mostly tasteless. Super tender cause I barely cooked it. Fast fry on super high heat, flip it around a bit, sliced real thin, and pull off burner fast, like 4 mins tops, and it was SO tender....but tasteless. I salted the heck out of it for some taste. I have to say I doubt I will buy another, BUT this one was like, $11 on markdown sale to like $4.25? so heck I had to buy it and eat it HAHA

Ribeye has that meat flavor punch I love....this flank steak was boring but good meat to eat tho.

I salted heavy all meat and bacon of course is salty.

today my focus is ribeye and seafood.

Thriving on carnivore. No doubt in my mind on this plan for me.