Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 12:59

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 218/198/185
BF:
Progress: 61%
Question Vitamin Requirements

I just registered as a new user in this forum, but I have been on the Protein Power diet since April 01 with good results. My question for you guys is, do you take all (in the required amounts) of the vitamins/minerals specified in the book? I have bought all the bottles required to meet it, but its really busy. I take a lot of tablets daily. Is anyone aware of a product that meets all those requirements by taking only one (or just a few) tablets? In the beginning I was just taking a multiple vitamin, but since I started taking the full complement of what the book recommends, I am feeling great and never get sick anymore. I just wish I didn't have to buy so many bottles of stuff.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 13:29

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Welcome to the forum, John WTG on your LC success - If only I'd known about PP back in April 2001!

To answer your question, I do not take all the supplements listed in the book - but I do take many: E, C, CoQ10, Magnesium, a multivitamin and flaxoil in my protein shakes. I too have felt miraculously better since I started eating this way - I am sure a lot has to do with finally getting enough protein, fat and the nutrients and vitamins I had been lacking for so long. And to think I used to think I was eating 'healthy'!

I have yet to find a multi vitamin w/ all the necessary ingredients - but I continue to search. If you should find such an animal please remember to share the news.

Cheers,
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 12:29
Registered Member

Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default vitamins

I saw somewhere that Centrum Silver supplies a lot of what they recommend, but I still take lots of other separate pills for the things Centrum doesn't give you enough of: magnesium+calcium; selenium; Vit E, potassium, L-Carinitine, CoQ10, and a few others, plus fiber. It does get kind of overwhelming.
I don't do flax seed/fish oil but I try to eat lots of sardines.

I think that the Eades's recommendations are for the most part what they would recommend for anyone on any diet, not just for someone on protein power. In other words, it is not a deficiency in the diet that makes them recommend so many supplements.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 20:58
Registered Member

Stats: 210/185/185
BF:
Post Don't sweat the small stuff!

Good question, John! (and welc
I know when I took PP int Food store a few weeks ago, showed the chap the vitamin/mineral recommendations, and asked "How close can I get to this?" it took about 5 minutes of patient reassurance to get the poor chap's blood pressure down. He was going on and on about how "people who write books like that should say that you can't find everything in one product." I showed him where the Drs. Eades advised finding a product "that approximates this list" (page 184)

The Eades underscore the point in PP Lifeplan when they say
"Don't get all tied up trying to find one that hits the recommended amounts on the head; just come close and you'll do fine. The only prohibition is to find one without added iron (unless you have a documented iron deficiency).

It might be worth noting that the Drs. Eades have revised their own RDA of Vitamin C DOWN to 200 IU unless one has diabetes or autoimmune disorders.

Madam Moderator, would it violate copyright horribly if I posted the updated list from PP Lifeplan?

Kipling
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 09:47

Stats: 218/198/185
BF:
Progress: 61%
Wink

Thanks for the info. I did not know they had lowered the requirement for vitamin C. I was taking the amount included in my multiple vitamin, plus a 1000 mg tablet. Based on what you're saying, I no longer need the extra 1000 mg supplement, as I think my multiple has over 200 mg. I only have the original PP book. Maybe I should pick up a copy of the PP Life Plan to see what other revisions they made?
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 13:48
Registered Member

Stats: 210/185/185
BF:
Thumbs up

I found PPLifeplan is good for more solid science on the nutrition side. BTW, the reduction in their recommended Vitamin C intake is connected with excessive iron retention. The only part I found hard to take was the new exercise section. Someone got something fermented in their "paleolithic punch" I think, all the exercises have goofy New Age names like "Reach Up and touch the Stars." Happily , I found this section easy to ignore, and did not detract from the rest of the book.

Kipling
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-26-02, 22:02

Plan: Protein Power Lifeplan; D
Stats: 197.0/162.0/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 74%
Question Centrum Vitamins

I understand from various news articles that any vitamins that are "coated" quite likely don't digest until it's too late for your body to use the vitamins and minerals.

Anyone else heard this?