Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-09-05, 07:50

Plan: Atkins~Modified
Stats: 173/173/145 Female 5' 6" and growing!
BF:26.6%/
Progress: 0%
Default Looking For Fresh, New Ways to Break A Stall!

HI! My name is Brenda. I need some fresh new ways to break a stall!
I have tried most of the ones I have read, and right now I am upping my carbs from the regular 20 to 30 daily. Which has been a fear of mine, because I have always fiqured if I did not stick to the 20 or below, I would gain for sure!!
I have done the meat and egg fast. Worked once broke through a 2 month stall, and then I went right back to losing nothing!!
I have tried, sometimes without knowing, to raise my calories, or drop my calories. Neither seem to work!
This gets old, and when you for the most part do it by the book, and still no results you end up so frustrated that have to fight not to give in and give up!

I am hoping there are people out there that have some fresh ideas on breaking the stalls, and ones that have done the different things that has actually worked for them!

My fitday is public, so anyone that wants to look at that is welcome to. Maybe someone can see a reason for the stall, maybe there is a pattern here I am not seeing myself.

I began Atkins in 2004 and stuck to it for 8 months. Then over the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays I fell off (Stupid, I know!). I gained 13 pounds back, after losing 32 pounds total!, and in Feb. I went back on Induction. It took 2 months to lose 2 pounds!
Since I have lost 8 pounds! Nothing like the last time, I was melting quick! This time the only thing that did get the weight going down, was the M&E Fast. I lost 6 of the 8 then. Then back to nothing lost again!

I am walking 1 to 2 miles a day, and today I am adding different exercises to that.
Bad thing is I was down to 160 and after about 4 days of walking 2 miles daily, I went back up to 164, where I am now!! Something is wrong with this picture! I know I have not built muscle walking, and even a small amount of muscle is not going to put 4 pounds on me!
I have lost 2 inches on my waist, which is the first since Feburary! But, like the 4 pounds, in a week the inches will probably be back!

Oh, I have never been out of Induction. I was there for 8 months in 2004, and have been there for 3 months this time. Anyone think this may be my problem? If so let me know what I can, or should do.
I am Induction secure. Afraid of what will happen if I go on!

Ok, I think that pretty much explains where I am at, and I hope that someone out there has a technique, or way of getting this going the right direction!
I want to, in advance Thank anyone who replies!
Have a Wonderul Week!
Brenda
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-09-05, 07:56
7 yrs and counting!

Plan: Vegan/Crossfit
Stats: 285/212/199 Female 5'7
BF:33.4%
Progress: 85%

Hmmm...from my experience....sometimes i have to increase my carbs just a little...by adding an extra salad...or something like that...and it works....i knowk thats not exactly new and fresh...lol....but goodluck...i hope you can find something that works!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-09-05, 07:58

Thanks Samatha! Any advise is a start, and If it worked for you, that is what I am looking for!
Thanks for the advise!
Have a Wonderful Day!
Brenda
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-09-05, 08:00
7 yrs and counting!

Okay..so out of curiousity i looked at your fitday.....A few things that i KNOW stall me....you have eaten on a somewhat regular basis.....Hotdogs....the preservatives or soemthing in them....they stall me bigtime...your better off eating a burger....also the cottage cheese does it for me..i can't eat it....and look closely at the ingredients on all of the sauces you use...they may be low in carbs but they probably have sugars in them...try not using them and see if it works.....goodluck again....!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-09-05, 08:02
7 yrs and counting!

No problem....i hope you find something that works...i knwo when i get stuck...i feel like ripping my hair out...lol....i hope you find something that works!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-09-05, 09:17

Hi Samatha,
You know the first time on Atkins, I lived on hotdogs, (which is not to say they are not stalling me this time), I was so sick of hot dogs and eggs the first time I thought I would die! And Cheese, I lived on that too the first time!
This time I just added the hot dogs, the cottage cheese and I have somewhat picked up on the cheese just recently, but for the most part these 3 things other than the eggs, I have just added again.
So, they may stall me. I will cut them out and see, but unfortionatley I don't think it is those things. I have not been able to lose before adding them.

I just can not fiqure this out! But, something has got to work. I will just give it time, and maybe someone here has the magic answer!
But, I will have no more hot dogs and cottage cheese!
Thanks
Brenda
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-09-05, 11:14

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 233/209.0/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

Are you eating enough? Your calories seem very, very low....
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-09-05, 11:41
7 yrs and counting!

Goodluck...keep us posted! Your not drinking alot of sodas or anything are you? Sometime they do it. Maybe you're just at a stall....you'll overcome it i'm sure....you're body is probably adjusting...i'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-09-05, 12:10

Javamel,
I know that some days they are way too low! The funny thing is I have days I just can not reach the 1200 to 1250 I want to get, and some days that I feel like I have ate nothing, and have gone over the 1250.
The calories are what I am trying to get up!
I already put my days menu in FitDay, and I have got a pretty good day going, as long as I stick to it. Though, I am not sure that the carbs are right, I may have quoted them a little higher, or lower than the end numbers.
I will try my darnest to get the calories up this next week to see if that helps!
Thanks for your help and support!
Brenda

Thanks again Samatha!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, May-09-05, 14:02

Plan: gluten free lc
Stats: 200/130/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 175%

Brenda, I was going to wait to say anything until I know for sure, but here's something that may be helpful...I just found out I may have yeast overgrowth and in treating that, I may have broken my stall. I really didn't think candida applied to me because I had no symptoms, but recently I did have a localized yeast infection diagnosed and treated. I decided to see if I have systemic candida, and started on supplements and anti-candida eating and first went thru die-off and then just yesterday started feeling better and lost weight yesterday morning and this morning. The reason I feel it's different from normal ups and downs, is that before I rarely got keto stix to turn colors and now it is constant deep pink. I'm just starting to research this so don't have a lot of info yet, but the book The Yeast Connection is the one I hear recommended the most.-Gail
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-09-05, 14:10
Registered Member

Plan: Kimkins
Stats: 396/325/260 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 52%
Lightbulb Have your thyroid checked. Personal trainer.

I have a personal trainer at the health club I belong to who is also a nutritionist. If you can find someone with that combination, they might have advice on exercises. (The cost of the trainer is a gift from my parents, so if you cannot afford one I understand.) For example, it may not be only a matter of walking 2 miles, but how fast you walk.

Also, if you have health insurance, have a doctor check whether your thyroid is low. If it is, consider taking thyroid medication. It might give you more energy and have your body use up calories faster. Low thyroid can also impact fertility and maybe can do other things to you.

mgw
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-09-05, 15:28
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

My stall (about a year long) has been caused by thyroid issues. I had to really press for treatment because doctors are very, very poorly educated in thyroid. Eventually I went to a doctor that specializes in natural and bio-identical hormone replacement and got the type of thyroid meds I really needed. He's also got me on progesterone, DHEA and testosterone (just a smidge). So we'll see if perhaps getting this hormonal tune-up will turn things around for me. I do know I've felt pretty darned good the last few days!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, May-09-05, 17:12

Thank you all for responding. I hope that it is not medical, because most doctors are not good at doing the things that apply to weight loss. And some of the things are drawn out and costly!
Gail where can I find information on the two things you are talking about. I have read different threads about Candida, and I have no idea what it is!
Can you tell me how to find out about the two?

Again thanks for all the replys, I really do appriciate eveyones advise and answers!

Thanks
Brenda
  #14   ^
Old Mon, May-09-05, 20:26

Plan: gluten free lc
Stats: 200/130/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 175%

Brenda, I just got 2 books from the library and am reading them now. It's a little confusing because they both offer several levels of strictness. It's basically low carb (no sugar and high starch foods) and no yeast products like breads, and alcohol, and also no fermented foods like cheese and vinegar. (Some say apple cider vinegar is fine) The stricter levels don't allow fruit or gluten products. I am basically eating meat, veggies, healthy fat including butter, nuts and seeds, and eggs only once every 4 days because I have a mild allergy to egg whites, and they advocate finding out if you have allergies and avoiding them.
My ND gave me a bottle of supplements and when I'm thru with them, I'm going to rotate oil of oregano, olive leaf extract and caprylic acid. I'm not sure how long to use each one before changing. If I find out, I'll be sure and post it.
I'm hoping that once the candida is under control, I can have fruit and cheese.-Gail
  #15   ^
Old Mon, May-09-05, 20:36

Gail,
Good Luck to You! I have been reading the thread on the Candida, and IBS, and I feel for you! I hope this is not what is wrong in my case, I have never had yeast infections in years, and the only time I ever remember having any thing of the sort was at the beginning of my pregnancy.
I don't really understand what the different things I read mean, but I am going to try to find some German Chamomile Tea, and get a good fiber supplement! I read that both of them are good sources for preventing this. The German Chamomile Tea you are suppose to drink before and after eating. I have no idea if this is even causing me to stall, but just to be on the safe side I am going to try to prevent this from happening.
I wonder, do you get this just from the Atkins Plan, or is it something that you would have had to worry about anyway?
It says it can take 8 months to a year to get rid of it, and sometimes longer!

This is crazy, and I hope that you are cured of this soon! And anyone else that has it for that matter! I quess the truth is we should be reading about the different things that can come about before we begin eating a different way, huh?! I don't believe that it is a bad way of eating, and if so too late, I have been doing this right or wrong for over a year!

Good Luck to you and keep me posted. I hope that once this is all done you melt the weight off!!
Brenda