Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-25-05, 10:46

Plan: general leaning toward Sb
Stats: 336/196/150 Female 5'4"
BF:gettin/down/there
Progress: 75%
Default What is a meat and egg fast?

Will someone please expain to me what a meat and egg fast is? I have seen a number of Atkins folks doing it. How does it work? Rules? Reasons? Expected loss? Thanks so much.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-25-05, 10:59
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi. It's one of the tweaks that seem to take on a life of their own around the forum. It is not a part of any of the plans that are recognized 'round these parts. The closest 'real' plan would probably be Stillman's.

If it works, it's probably only because you've eliminated the common stallers in the process. IMO, a better approach is to simply eat 'clean' and according to plan. Ditch artificial sweeteners, dairy, and coffee if you think they're stalling you, but keep the veggies.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-25-05, 11:33

Plan: low-carb/low-cal
Stats: 145/140/125 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 25%

I agree. Don't bother with it. Just stick to a clean induction.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-25-05, 11:47

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

I think that when we start switching from the actual "plan" that is when trouble occurs - I agree stay with a clean induction and you'll be fine.

Vikki
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-25-05, 12:04
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/184/190 Male 72"
BF:
Progress: 115%

I do the meat and egg and veggie and cheese fast.
Wait! That's induction!
Hee hee, my bad.
mrt
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-25-05, 12:12

Plan: none
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 22%

After finding out what the meat and egg fast was all about, I opted to keep up with my clean way of eating. More power to someone who can eat only meat and eggs for several days at a time. My advice is don't bother. Just keep up the good work, you've done an amazing job so far!!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-25-05, 12:14

Plan: atkins ish
Stats: 150/147/120 Female 5'3
BF:NoMore Preggers!
Progress: 10%

You may want to look at KISS many people have had good luck with that.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-25-05, 13:10

BF:

In my opinion, its not even healthy. The body needs fibre. With such a high incidence of colon cancer these days, I would strongly advise people not to cut out all sources of fibre.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-25-05, 13:23

Plan: Atkins~Modified
Stats: 173/173/145 Female 5' 6" and growing!
BF:26.6%/

Hi I did the meat and egg fast for 5 days a month ago. I lost 6 pounds in the 5 days and it broke a stall. I will agree with everyone that said it is not healthy for you. But, if you do it do not do it for more than 5 days. After that in my opinion if will just create another stall in some cases. Take a good multi-vitamin while doing it and a fiber supplement.

You eat meat (cooked anyway except breaded), eggs (any way, but the only thing you can add to the eggs is mayo)

And you are allowed some mayo daily.

Drink plenty of water!

If you drink coffee it is said to drink it black ( if coffee stalls you do not drink it), and preferably without cream. Some drink a diet soda daily also.

I suggest green tea as a replacement for both of the above.

But, not all people are effected in the M&E fast by the coffee, and diet sodas.

Eat no more than 5 carbs a day. Again, some people can consume a few more daily and it does not effect the weight lose.

As I said, I did it, and it worked for me. As far as it being bad for your health, any plan is if you are doing it for too long of a period and continue to eliminate balanced nutrients, that your body needs.
So doing this is up to you.
Good Luck to You!
Brenda
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-25-05, 13:35

BF:

FabByFifty: Did you regain any of those 6 lbs after you went back to 'normal' Atkins?
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Apr-25-05, 13:39

Hi JennylynnRn!

I am down even more right now. If it were not for the peanuts last night I would probably be down another pound, instead of up another!

I am again going to say, I don't believe the M&E fast is healthy for you, but again it did work for me, and the weight is still dropping. So Far!
Brenda
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-25-05, 13:44

I lost 2 pounds in 3 months originally this time around. I was ready to throw in the towel, but the M&E fast worked for me, in eliminating the stall.

I started at 172 and flucuated from 170 to 172 for the 3 months. I did the M&E fast and went down to 166. Then within another week or so down to 164, in the past week down to 162. Then I got stupid yesterday and ate a ton of cocktail peanuts and gained 1 pound back.
So I have not gained the weight back yet, and I am steadily dropping now.

Best of Luck!
Brenda
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Apr-25-05, 14:13
Brown-Eyed Girl

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/153/155 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 102%

I tried the meat/egg fast last fall and lost 5 pounds over 4 days after being stalled for about 2 months. Afterwards, I gradually added back in my regular induction menu. I gained back 2 of the 5 pounds and the weightloss started moving again. I just started the M/E fast again after another several months of being stalled or fighting with the same few pounds. In my opinion, it's true the M/E fast isn't safe for any type of long-term diet, however, it does seem to get things moving again and when for a short-period, I see no ill affects. I think the biggest reason behind the success, is the fact that you are cutting out many of the known stallers and keeping it simple. (KISS) If you are nervous about trying the M/E fast, perhaps a person could try the KISS program. For me, by doing the M/E fast, I'm able to keep close track of my menu and it works everytime. The perfect stall-buster for getting discouraged.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Apr-25-05, 14:20

Plan: Low carb / high Protein
Stats: 290/238/215 Male 6ft 2inc
BF:18.92
Progress: 69%

I did the E&M fast and well I was not in a stall at that time but it is hard to do and I cant say that it is healthy. I am in a stall right now but am going to just hang tight intill my body is ready to drop weight again. I am not gaining so I will not put my self threw that again. I did it for 5 days and yes I did drop weight but I could have droped that weight just staying clean on induction
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Apr-25-05, 17:23

Ohio Kim,
Good Luck to you! I am like you, I believe that the M&E fast if done right is the perfect way to stop a stall, and by adding different things back in afterwards, you can find the item, or items that you ate that caused the problem!
I answered this post, but what I did not say was that I did in fact start another meat and egg fast today. I don't know that I need it, but I am wanting to do as Ohio Kim said, add the carbs back in slowly to insure that I am not once again eating something that will bring on another stall.
I did not do this a month ago.

I also believe that it is the perfect Stall Buster! It has worked for me, and I am amazed by the effects of the M&E fast so I am doing it for the 5 days and getting the weight going down without stalls, and doing my plan right!

By the way Atmasters, You have done a wonderful job at the weight loss!

GOOD LUCK TO All!
Brenda